Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

High Idle optimax after running

Last edited by bobco; 04-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.

2. Banned
    Serial # and let us know if you have a hot foot installed http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-mot...al-number.html IF you do have a hotfoot - read this and see if you're adjusted properly http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...ml#post2275200

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Please do provide your Serial Number (see Sticky at the top of the forum).

Also, VERIFY that your hotfoot and cable are free of fish line, hooks, lures, worms, or organic debris, AND that the hotfoot and cable are being REGULARLY lubricated to allow free/smooth movement.

Very critical that hotfoot CONSISTENTLY return the throttle cable so the throttle arm is firmly against the idle stop.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    ser
    Last edited by bobco; 04-07-2020 at 05:58 PM.

5. Member
    Check Fuel Diaphram had one go with 15 hrs on my Pro xs 250 would not idle down. apparently they had a bad batch of them
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

6. Member
    Very interested in this thread as my opti 150 does the exact same thing first run in the morning. After that it's fine all day. Seems like putting an electrical load from the trim reduces idle speed because of sensor voltage drop.
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
    Check Fuel Diaphram had one go with 15 hrs on my Pro xs 250 would not idle down. apparently they had a bad batch of them
    Not sure which of several Diaphragms you are referring to there... although one of the FIVE different such devices in the engine COULD be a contributor.

Since this engine is covered under a Platinum Protection Plan... I would strongly recommend that you verify the throttle cable adjustment (adjustments are not covered).

If the adjustment is correct: Get the engine in to your local (Authorized) Mercury Dealer.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Don
    Last edited by bobco; 04-07-2020 at 05:59 PM.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

10. Member

great

thanks Don will give it a look.

11. Member
    was out this weekend and caught the optimax doing its thing. this time we were just idling around looking for fish, motor running 900-1000 rpm in forward gear, when back to nuetral rpms would go up to 1500-2000 rpm, like i said before real intermitant, later in the day could not recreate! hard to take into shop and expect anybody to find this problem. maybe this video can give Don some insight? thanks for looking.dang it not having any luck getting MP4 video attached? anybody know how?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Post video on Youtube, or some other hosting site, and then provide a link.

I would be more likely to suspect the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) if the problem is intermittent. Diaphragm failures are relatively consistent.

Next time this occurs... promptly turn the key OFF, then restart (without changing the throttle position in any way). If the engine restarts at the correct RPM (rather than revving like it was)- TPS is even MORE likely.

Best method of catching this is a voltage-sweep test of the TPS (in graph mode, on the Computer Diagnostic System).

13. Member
    Last edited by bobco; 04-07-2020 at 05:59 PM.

14. Member
    Your dog needs some water. Lol

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Your dog needs some water. Lol
    ha ha yeah she wanted into video.lol.....

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated- strongly suspect TPS problem. Fuel/Air pressure (and leakdown) tests would help to confirm, or rule out diaphragm problems:

-At idle
    -Under Acceleration
    -5/10/15 seconds after engine shutdown

(Recording both AIR and FUEL pressures for each).

Keep in mind- Throttle Position Sensor IS covered under Platinum Protection.

Diaphragms are NOT covered.

17. Member
    thanks Again Don
    Last edited by bobco; 04-07-2020 at 06:00 PM.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel rail diaphragms, or even the pulse pump's diaphragms.

Fuel rail diaphragms ARE replaceable now... HOWEVER, two VERY CRITICAL special tools (one of which is over $1K) are required.

19. Member
    update on problem. took boat into mercury dealer to have them try to find the problem.. being intermittant i knew it would be problem to find. they went through motor and found 2 thing.
    1) throttle cable 8 turns loose
    2) spark plugs acording to them were gapped wrong, they were .042, they installed new plugs gapped at .031. I think they are wrong, owners manual and everything I find days .042. tech is claiming emission sticker on motor says .031?
    dont know what to think except I sure wish Don Weeds was not hundreds of miles away !

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Tech doesn't know enough to reference appropriate literature.

Gap is indeed .043-.044".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast