Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I am having the exact same problem. Optimax 150 DFI 2011 model. High idle at neutral sounds like crap too. the idle goes up and down when trim switch is raised and lowered. Once it goes into gear, clunk due to high idle, it seems to run ok. Strong odor of gas when cowling removed. Again while it was high idle it sounded terrible like there was a mixture problem of sorts. Diaphragm issue? Any way I can check too see?
    Serial number 1B846673. Not trying to highjack thread, just trying to diagnose proble. Bobco, issues resolved? Could it be a bad battery? Low voltage telling motor wrong info, plus why would idle change when tilt raised lowered

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freakdave View Post
    I am having the exact same problem. Optimax 150 DFI 2011 model. High idle at neutral sounds like crap too. the idle goes up and down when trim switch is raised and lowered. Once it goes into gear, clunk due to high idle, it seems to run ok. Strong odor of gas when cowling removed. Again while it was high idle it sounded terrible like there was a mixture problem of sorts. Diaphragm issue? Any way I can check too see?
    Serial number 1B846673. Not trying to highjack thread, just trying to diagnose proble. Bobco, issues resolved? Could it be a bad battery? Low voltage telling motor wrong info, plus why would idle change when tilt raised lowered
    Please open a separate post for your engine, in the appropriate (2.5L engine) forum. This prevents confusion with the original poster's engine and question (and also prevents thread hi-jacking).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    update! now that I have ran for the season it appears that I can say the loose throttle cable was causing the high idle, to bad I had to go through 3 different tech to get that one fixed and pay out of my pocket as well!

4. Member
    Any update on if this still fixed your motor? I have a 175 Pro XS and it does the exact same thing. I can get the idle to come down by adjusting the trim . Is the throttle cable something I could check myself? Thanks

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 008wagon View Post
    Any update on if this still fixed your motor? I have a 175 Pro XS and it does the exact same thing. I can get the idle to come down by adjusting the trim . Is the throttle cable something I could check myself? Thanks
    Recommend opening your own thread for your engine (use the 2.5L Forum, next one down the list, and be sure to provide the required info). Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12