Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Wiring??

2. Member
    I think this may be what you are looking for:
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Member
    By the way, I use a Lowrance LMF-200 gage which allows you to scroll through multiple engine paramaters. Have had it on the boat for 4 seasons now, very happy with it. Here is a thread where I described details if you are interested. See posts 8 and 9 in the thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=569926

4. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    Each head has a thermoswitch that will set an alarm if and when a head gets too hot.

In the top of the block there is a thermosensor that reports block temperature to the ECU. The ECU sends this data to a chart plotter. If and when the block gets too hot the alarm will sound. The sensor does more than just warn of an over temperature situation whereas that is all the thermoswitch does.

It is possible for a head to over heat with the block staying cool. It is possible for the block to over heat with the heads staying cool.
    i may be a little confused. Help me out. I have the NMEA reading from the top of the block showing on my Lowrance. That gives me a little peace of mind.
    Additionally, There is a thermo switch on each head. Replacement of thermo switch on both the heads is required? Doesn't that require a separate dash gauge for each head to insure I really know what temps are running? Is this correct?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZO6 View Post
    i may be a little confused. Help me out. I have the NMEA reading from the top of the block showing on my Lowrance. That gives me a little peace of mind.
    Additionally, There is a thermo switch on each head. Replacement of thermo switch on both the heads is required? Doesn't that require a separate dash gauge for each head to insure I really know what temps are running? Is this correct?
    No, the thermoswitches do not require replacement. They should remain in place to do their job.

If one wants to visually monitor water temperature there are other means available to do that. Standalone conventional needle and dial gauges for instance. One could be used for each cylinder head although I am not familiar with anyone going that far.

6. Member
    Z06 - based on Jethro's post, you cannot get a temperature reading from the thermoswitches on the heads. Is there a temperature sensor replacement available for heads? I don't know. If yes, then you would have two more channels of temperature data. If you use a digital gage that scrolls through channels, then additional channels of data would not require separate dash gages.

I am only reading the temperature sensor from the block. This works fine for water I fish which is not super shallow/muddy. Given a choice, I would prefer to be able to read temperatures at all three locations. With only the thermoswitch alarm, we have to rely on Yamaha engineering to have provided sufficient tolerance to shutdown before causing damage. Likely that is the case. The problem I always have with an overheat condition without temperature monitoring, is how long do I wait before restarting?

I would like to have the LMF 400 only because it would fit in the Tach hole. Wouldn't have to drill another hole. I had no idea the engine data screen on my HDS 12 with the engine temp does not show overheating. Mine stays around 120 all the time but thought was the overall engine temp, amazing.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I would like to have the LMF 400 only because it would fit in the Tach hole. Wouldn't have to drill another hole. I had no idea the engine data screen on my HDS 12 with the engine temp does not show overheating. Mine stays around 120 all the time but thought was the overall engine temp, amazing.
    Can the HDS-12 be set so that at some particular value the alarm would sound?
    Last edited by yam911; 04-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.

I don't know yam. I know the SHO has 2 temp sensors, one for each head. Don't know if they are compatible with the HDS or if the interface cable would pick it up.. I haven't seen anything on the HDS that would indicate it but the temp sensor may have to be connected for it to display, like the WP gauge. I would guess they would feed into the ECU & show on the interface, but that is only a guess. That would be awesome if it did. I'm sure some of the guys on here can detail it though.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I don't know yam. I know the SHO has 2 temp sensors, one for each head. Don't know if they are compatible with the HDS or if the interface cable would pick it up.. I haven't seen anything on the HDS that would indicate it but the temp sensor may have to be connected for it to display, like the WP gauge. I would guess they would feed into the ECU & show on the interface, but that is only a guess. That would be awesome if it did. I'm sure some of the guys on here can detail it though.
    The over temperature related component that is located in the block is known by Yamaha as a thermoswitch. Below X temperature the switch is open. Above X temperature and the switch closes. Sends a ground to the ECU. The alarm sounds. The motor goes into RPM reduction mode. On certain Yamaha tachometers lights illuminate or an icon flashes.

Then there is a thermosensor (a variable resistor that changes resistance based on temperature) that is mounted in the top of the block. The sensor reports temperature to the ECU. The ECU sends it on to an NMEA 2000 device.

I don't doubt that there are NMEA 2000 components that could be installed so that water temperature is determined and provided to an NMEA 2000 display. Similar to the devices that can provide water pressure or oil pressure to an NMEA 2000 display.
    Last edited by yam911; 04-20-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12