Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Prostate question

First, I will be 76 next month. I went for my annual physical last month. I started off with a 0.6 PSA several years ago with a slight increase over the years to a present 1.1 PSA. I only take 1 small thyroid pill & that's it.

My doctor, which I think highly of, recommended that I should not have any future PSA tests. He also recommended that I no longer have the cholesterol test as my levels are in the very good range, & has been for years.

I feel like I am in good health for my age but kind of feel "left out" with his recommendation.

Any thoughts for you older folks?

What's involved with both of these tests? I know nothing about them but have to wonder why wouldn't you continue to be tested?

3. Member
    I would think both are determined with blood work if I'm not mistaken. Unless you were or are anemic I don't understand. Ask your doc why if you have faith in doc. Doc should tell you reason to recommend not testing. Then see if you think it's logical. Best of luck to you Sir.
    Praying for a Cure

Yes, both are blood tests that I have been getting each year. Along with the PSA, I also get a rectal exam which allows the doctor to feel any swelling, bumps, or hardness of the prostate gland.

My doctor said " if your PSA would rise slightly next year, you would want to start looking for the cause". " In most cases , of older folks, the biopsies & other treatments out weigh the cancer.". "All men will have prostate cancer if they live long enough".

I am a pin cusion.....blood tests regularly. Tested .continuously... psa and cholesterol are blood tests, no biggie. ?....

I think he's right. Far too many Doctors order tests that are not needed and only put money in the Doctors pockets.

7. Banned
    Not a doctor but what he should have told you is because tumors in the prostrate grow extremely slowly in most cases, he has decided yours will not be a danger to your health and the surgery would be harder on you than leaving it alone. But he should have taken the time to explain all of this to you; I learned a long time ago never let the doctor leave the room until he answers your questions and you fully understand the answers.

Why not be tested? Don't shy away from the colonoscopy either.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

9. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    As one who has had prostate cancer I would not suggest the elimination of PSA testing. That was how my cancer was detected. Everyone's circumstances are different and I was 62 when it was discovered, but prostate cancer still kills and can lead to developing other cancers that will kill you more quickly and painfully, like bone cancer. It is a simple blood test and not the final determining factor confirming prostate cancer, a high PSA will initiate other tests, like a biopsy. At your age and current PSA level, I would personally agree to a test evety two years but not eliminate it entirely. Discuss the issue with your doctor. Early detection is the key in determining what type of prostate cancer you have and treatment. Most cancers of the prostate are slow growing but there are some that grow rapidly, those are of the most concern as to survival rates.
    Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-11-2015 at 08:54 AM.

10. Banned
    At your age, the risk of dying prematurely from prostate cancer or heart issues resulting from high cholesterol, if they have not already developed, is minimal. These are issues that cause problems over a long period of time.

11. Banned
    I'm knocking on 70 years old. Every six months I have blood work done for cholesterol, PSA, and thyroid.
    Get your blood work done. Doing so will benefit you.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    At your age, the risk of dying prematurely from prostate cancer or heart issues resulting from high cholesterol, if they have not already developed, is minimal. These are issues that cause problems over a long period of time.
    Your PSA is very low for a man your age....More than likely even if you did develop Prostate cancer something else would kill you before the prostate cancer did...
    I have elevated PSA at 50 years old....It is all over the place...I have had a biopsy and still go in for yearly checkups but in my research I have found that PSA testing is very unreliable and alot of Dr's aren't puting much faith in it...It is a diagnostic tool but far from a cure all....You can find case histories of Guys having very aggressive cancers at levels of less than 2 and cases where guys don't have cancer at levels over 10...They are looking at trends but even those can be non conclusive...Some believe that the stress of watching the numbers is harder on the person than the cancer...
    I am young and I believe I am probably developing a slow growing cancer that just hasn't been detected yet so I stay on top of it but if I was 76 with no symptoms and a PSA level of less than 2 I would say screw it...Alot of men in their mid to late 70s that are diagnosed with Prostate cancer are taking the monitor and evaluate route and electing to not put themselves through the surgery..
    Congrats on the good health..I would do whatever helps you sleep at night but don't be alarmed by increasing numbers...Sounds to me that you have a good Dr that is following current trends and isn't trying to do unnecessary procedures..
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 07-11-2015 at 09:49 AM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeFloyd View Post
    Not a doctor but what he should have told you is because tumors in the prostrate grow extremely slowly in most cases, he has decided yours will not be a danger to your health and the surgery would be harder on you than leaving it alone. But he should have taken the time to explain all of this to you; I learned a long time ago never let the doctor leave the room until he answers your questions and you fully understand the answers.
    This is the basic truth. Further, at your age of 76, just about 100 percent of men have prostate issues and 90 percent have cancer. And at this age, the cancer is growing so slowly that you will go of old age before the growth gets you. Now, you may need flowmax to pee....but that's another discussion.

Sounds like you are in great health and you have been doing something right. You also have a good doc.

14. Arkansas Rally Moderator Arkyarcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Congrats on the good health..I would do whatever helps you sleep at night but don't be alarmed by increasing numbers...Sounds to me that you have a good Dr that is following current trends and isn't trying to do unnecessary procedures..
    This.
    Gene Wilson

2000 Xpress X19 Mercury 200
    Team PoorMansCustomLures

Two wrongs don't make a right , but three lefts do.

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    What's involved with both of these tests? I know nothing about them but have to wonder why wouldn't you continue to be tested?
    Al, they are simple blood test that can save your life. Get one done and know the number. This will be your future reference point.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Is that accurate that all or 90% of men will have prostate cancer if they live ling enough?

Interesting.

I always heard it was around two/thirds of all men would get it if they lived long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFloyd View Post
    THIS^^^. In most cases, if you have made it that long, even if you get prostate cancer now or your cholesterol begins to increase, you will likely die from something else long before a heart attack or prostate cancer would kill you. But, the Doc should have explained his reasoning.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Paduke View Post
    This right here ^^^
    That's what your doctor is basing this on.
    Should prostate cancer begin to develop at 76 years of age, it would highly likely be very slow developing, and any treatment would be more hazardous than the cancer.
    BTW: if you live to 95, you have a 95% chance of having prostate cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    THIS^^^. In most cases, if you have made it that long, even if you get prostate cancer now or your cholesterol begins to increase, you will likely die from something else long before a heart attack or prostate cancer would kill you. But, the Doc should have explained his reasoning.
    My doctor & I had a long, long conversation about this. I just didn't want to bore folks with it. I feel real good about my health but I am one that wants to know but would be a lot better off not knowing. I really appreciate all the replies and will make up my mind next year when my annual physical comes due. My doctor said he had no problem if I wanted to continue with the tests. He also said for me to stop worrying about it and enjoy my good health.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast