Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sciatica relief?

I am really fighting this deal now. I spent two days in the hospital last week, and now cannot function on a day to day basis. Hip, calf, and all the way down to my foot(which is completely numb). I am not a fan of pain killers, but have to take them to stop from hitting the ceiling with every move, and muscle relaxers are not helping either.

I was supposed to be leaving right now for a weekend on Geneva Lake in Wisconsin, but nooooo...li am laid up.
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

2. Member
    I'm 57 years old and know that pain well. I bought an inverter and it has given me a few more years of tolerable existence. You basically hang upside down like BatMan and it stops pinching the nerve. Also back exercise helps. I stopped all pain meds after using the inverter but felt like s#@$ for a week because I was getting used to those dam pills. Good luck man

3. Member
    Chiropractor and stretching relieves mine. I heard inversion works wonders also. I know when it's time for a chiro appointment when mine starts acting up.
    So there we were, 4 against 40, toughest 4 I've ever seen!

2015 Nitro ZV18
    Mercury Optimax 200
    Minn Kota Terrova 112
    Lowrance electronics

4. Banned
    I tore up a back muscle, and the inflammation from the muscle spread to the sciatic nerve. I did physio for three months with limited results, and then asked the doctor for Celebrex to fight the inflammation while continuing physio. The pain began to taper off after 2-3 weeks. I used an inversion table when the pain was at it's worst to get going in the morning. It took probably 6 months before it was truly better and I could do something that required heavy pushing or lifting without causing an immediate reoccurance.
    Once it starts to get better, you will receive stretching exercises to do at home. This keeps the muscles from getting tight around the nerve, possibly causing inflammation. DO THEM!

5. Member
    Nova Kaw is correct, stretching and exercise is key in eliminating sciatic pain. I would also recommend deep tissue massage as a way to prevent muscles from knotting up and strangling the nerves in the lower back.

Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    I am really fighting this deal now. I spent two days in the hospital last week, and now cannot function on a day to day basis. Hip, calf, and all the way down to my foot(which is completely numb). I am not a fan of pain killers, but have to take them to stop from hitting the ceiling with every move, and muscle relaxers are not helping either.

I was supposed to be leaving right now for a weekend on Geneva Lake in Wisconsin, but nooooo...li am laid up.
    Have you had a neurological work up done? Kinda sounds like some nerve impingement in the L3-4-5 area. Have you had an MRI? Maybe spinal stenosis. You need to see a Neuro-surgeon.

7. Banned
    It really depends on what's causing the impingement; there is no one size fits all answer. You need an MRI and a neurologist.

Teeter Hang-Up twice a day and stretching exercises. Go see a Neurosurgeon, have an MRI, and see if spinal injections are an option. They worked wonders for me.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    if it is that bad it is time to see a surgeon
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

10. Banned
    If You want to get a quick fix UNTIL You see the Dr. I've had great luck with this https://www.beactivebrace.com/?MID=5...UVIaAizg8P8HAQ They have them at CVS™ now. Until I started doing Yoga Mine would kick in every so often. My back/neck are damaged beyond repair so I lost ALL the extra weight that I was carrying and now also stay hydrated..

There are also an array of "herbs" one can use for pain..

11. Banned
    I myself had L2 , L3, L4, fused for disc issues from falling off a roof.
    Now the domino effect is taking out L5.
    I fish in pain every time.
    On oxy as well. Helps but hate it.

12. Member
    MRi has been done, I gave a follow up on Monday. As for the BE Active brace, that thing is a hoax......

13. Banned
    MRi has been done, I gave a follow up on Monday. As for the BE Active brace, that thing is a hoax......
    I forgot the proviso

**Your Mileage May Vary.

14. Member
    teeter hang up and stretch every single day !!!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    see if spinal injections are an option. They worked wonders for me.
    I've had 2 injections this year already and they have cut my pain down to 50 percent. Wish I could get the third but can't afford it...even with insurance!

16. Member
    Not sure if this was mentioned, but consider seeing a pain management doc. They can inject and even RF burn the affected nerves. This is an art and you might have to see a couple of docs to find one that works.

Be careful of seeing a back surgeon. Remember, if you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

17. Banned
    Actually anything you "think" will help can be of benefit. And again there are so many variations and so many degrees of impingement what works for him may not work for you.

18. Member
    Go see a Chiropractor I was in the same shape as you and the docs wanted to operate, went to a Chiro and after about 2 months I was fixed and have not had an issue since, this was in 2009. Also pain killers did not help me, but 800MG Ibprophen did.

19. Member

I feel your pain. Like everyone else has said, exercise is your friend. Walk and stretching helps most. My problem is that I've gotten to the point that I can't walk far. Surgery isn't an option. Ugggg.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimm View Post
    I've had 2 injections this year already and they have cut my pain down to 50 percent. Wish I could get the third but can't afford it...even with insurance!

Ive had two, one in March, and one in May. No relief from either one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast