Thread: Leak

Leak

Just wanted to see some options on a little leak I have. I know it's hard to impossible to address the problem without seeing the boat, but I need some ideas where to look. First off its a 1999 175XD. It has normal wear for its age, nothing sticks out on the fiberglass hull that looks lIke water can be getting in from. I know I have a small leak in my live well line, so I plugged the holes on the outside to not allow water into the lines, but I still got some water in the boat. What is an area or something I should check? Maybe common problems or something? I love this boat and really want to get this fixed, cobras are some of the nicest boats I have ever ridden on!

2. Member
    Do you notice water leaking around the top cap seam inside the rod lockers? If so, the rub rail seal may be leaking when the boat hits a wave. My Coral rub rail was loose and allowing water to come in at the cap joint. I had a local boat rebuilder remove, seal, and replace the rub rail. No more leaks.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

3. Member
    When you say rub rail, you meanthe black trim that connects the top cap to the hull? I haven't noticed water in the rod locker but I have noticed some water in the back boxes. I was thinking that maybe the black trim that connects the two in the back needs to be resealed. If you don't mind me asking, how much was that to get done?

4. Member
    Yes, it is the black trim that connects the top cap to the hull. It can leak any where along the perimeter of the cap/hull joint. Look at the cap/hull joint inside the boxes immediately after going through rough water. If you see water streaming down the hull from the joint, the rub rail is leaking. The cost to have the rub rail removed, sealed, and replaced was $280. All pop rivets were replaced in new locations between the old rivet holes. If you want to attempt doing it yourself, there are several You Tube videos showing the procedure.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

5. Member
    Check you engine or jackplate mounting bolts. Also check the seal between these parts and the transom. Next I would inspect the aluminum tube used for the drain plug. It needs to be in good shape. Next I would inspect the livewell intake hose and fittings and at the pump. Last I would inspect the livewell over flow hose fittings. Best thing to do is to look in the battery compartment while on the water sitting still. Use a flashlight a looks at all these areas.

6. Member
    Make sure ur boat is dry inside hull. Put ur plug in and fill both live wells full with water from garden hose. Make sure it's not the live wells or the aerator..let set for 20 min and pull plug out back of boat and see if you are getting any water. If it not the live wells. Drain live wells and Place plug back in the bottom of hull and fill the inside ur hull with water but don't fill over the batteries and look for leaks dripping on the bottom of hull.
    JEFF
    TALBOTT,TN
    VIPER COBRA 201
    Mercury pro xs