RT188 Owners Feedback - About to preorder

Hey everyone,

I know there was a recent thread identifying all the RT188 owners, but I wanted to ask a specific question to everyone at once if you don't mind.

Now that quite a few of you have owned your RT188 for a year or more I'd love to hear your candid feedback.

- What do you love about the boat/model?
    - What do you NOT love so much?
    - If you could have changed any configuration(s) what would that be?
    - Would you purchase again? If not, why?
    - Dual console or not?
    - What is the biggest dash FF/sonar that can be mounted in the console?
    - What kind of extended warranties does RANGER offer? (not 3rd party)

I'm thinking about pre-ordering here fairly soon for a 2016 RT188 and just want to make sure I am making the most informed decision possible.

I am getting back into bass fishing and fishing in general after a long break (due to a very hectic work schedule the last 7-8 years). Will mostly fish the lakes in central Texas and up on the highland lakes where my family has some property.

Probably don't even need this much but I love the style of the boat and always wanted a Ranger if/when I was ready to purchase one.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Ordered one mid April, still wating! Only reason I ordered one instead of buying off of dealers lot was because I wanted a 188-C model in Shadow grass camo with an aluminum trailer. There was none to be had anywhere at the time, so my only option was to order one. Keep in mind if you order one you're pretty much going to pay Rangers MSRP. I think you can negotiate a little with one already on the lot and dealer can add any options you want. This has been my experience anyway. The only other thing I can tell you about the boat is, 12 weeks is a long, long, long, time to wait on something, lol. I hope the wait is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by ckeck View Post

- What do you love about the boat/model?
    - Dual console or not?
    Had mine well over a year and used it a lot. I am retired and fish all year -12 months -and spend a lot of time with the RT..
    1-Takes rough water great and the front deck fishes as good as anything as I have been in.
    2-had trailer and trailer light trouble but LEDs fixed it and new ones come with LEDs
    3- rated it for a 150... But the 115 is just fine. But I wonder what it would be like with a 150..
    4. YES.. Would purchase again and have not regretted buying it.
    5. I have had dual console fast bass boats and in my opinion this boat is not a speed demon anyway and I don't miss having one. If I bought again, I still would not get one.
    6. Don't know about the graph. I am not a big electronics guy and the basic ones do me fine and I catch fish with what I have.
    7. Ranger warranty is pretty darn good and they have always gone above and beyond for the original purchaser. Don't think you need any on the actual boat... The motor one is handled by the motor people. The actual boat itself just does not break enough to worry about it and the other ancillary devices would not be covered anyway. Don't think Ranger offers one anyway on just the boat.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    I love the ride and layout of my Rt 188. The ride for a aluminum boat is exceptional. The camo is gives you a wide range of uses.

I would have gotten the Auto Jack Plate; three across deck seating, and Hds Gen 2 front and back with structure scan. I wouldn’t purchase the ranger cover. It took 12 weeks to get my cover and it is not as good as quality as the covers ranger puts on their class boats nor did it fit the way I had ordered it.. I would also order a bike seat to match the others.

I would purchase again from a different dealer and I would order like you are going to do. I’m not completely satisfied with some of the quality control issues like the rubber stoppers on the deck lids coming off the first day out. One of the dash gauges has moisture in it. The wiring in the trailer was short and wasn’t but about 3inches out the tongue.

I feel the dual console would depend on what you plan to use the boat for myself I plan to duck hunt out of mine so I wanted the floor space for decoys and a extra seat.

Overall I love my boat but I would definitely pay attention to more details and research more on the performance evaluations on here. You will get you best information on here and not from ranger they are clueless.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    115 etec
    lowrance elite 7 chirp
    lowrance Hds 7 Gen 2

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I've had mine for 15 months and just returned from 7 days of fishing in Ontario.
    Likes? Room, ride, easy to tow, stability, performance with 90 hp. I would certainly purchase again, wish they had offered the recirculating livewell in 2014.
    Dual console? These boats aren't speed demons and the windscreen offers minimal protection but I love the glovebox and the Mrs. likes the console. Also looks good.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Hey everyone,

I know there was a recent thread identifying all the RT188 owners, but I wanted to ask a specific question to everyone at once if you don't mind.

Now that quite a few of you have owned your RT188 for a year or more I'd love to hear your candid feedback.

- What do you love about the boat/model? (Stability, ride quality, dry ride, storage layout, fit/finish (I have carpet), quality, I always get compliments everywhere I take her, almost as big as my buddies 21ft Legend glass boat but mine feels less cramped without a dual console, etc.)
    - What do you NOT love so much? I wish it came with pneumatic struts on the lids but........that's petty compared other people's complaints. It's not a complaint, just a wish item. I also wish it was allowed to have a 6" jackplate but that's dreaming.
    - If you could have changed any configuration(s) what would that be? I would have ordered my motor with a Mercmonitor (I have a ProXS) so I could monitor the motor more closely and connect it to my HDS units for heads up display for RPM, water pressure, engine temp, etc. The stock gauges are not very accurate (not Ranger's fault)
    - Would you purchase again? If not, why? Does a bear crap in the woods?????
    - Dual console or not? Single.....much more space. I fish alone generally but when I do take others, no one really complains.
    - What is the biggest dash FF/sonar that can be mounted in the console? I used a Ram mount..........wish I had purchased a Balzout mount. Much more solid.
    - What kind of extended warranties does RANGER offer? (not 3rd party) Look online. Factory 3yr fit/finish and lifetime hull I think.

I'm thinking about pre-ordering here fairly soon for a 2016 RT188 and just want to make sure I am making the most informed decision possible.

I am getting back into bass fishing and fishing in general after a long break (due to a very hectic work schedule the last 7-8 years). Will mostly fish the lakes in central Texas and up on the highland lakes where my family has some property.

Probably don't even need this much but I love the style of the boat and always wanted a Ranger if/when I was ready to purchase one.

See red text above.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

Not to get off topic all good info from ranger owners above but just wanted to thank you for posting a new thread with your questions after seeing the owners list. It really helps keep the info more organized.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimco View Post
    Ordered one mid April, still wating! Only reason I ordered one instead of buying off of dealers lot was because I wanted a 188-C model in Shadow grass camo with an aluminum trailer. There was none to be had anywhere at the time, so my only option was to order one. Keep in mind if you order one you're pretty much going to pay Rangers MSRP. I think you can negotiate a little with one already on the lot and dealer can add any options you want. This has been my experience anyway. The only other thing I can tell you about the boat is, 12 weeks is a long, long, long, time to wait on something, lol. I hope the wait is worth it.
    It will be.

9. Member
    I've had mine since Apr. Each and everytime I take it out I like it that much more. I like the room with the single console. And yes I would buy one again.

What do you love about the boat/model?
    It fishes big, it's stable, it's a fairly smooth ride for alum - doesn't jar my dad's back, storage is set up better than other alum. options, was right at my price point.

Those damn porpoise/ trim tabs welded on the bottom. The paint scratches easily.

I would take out the rod tubes in the rod storage locker and have it open. Would be able to fit more that way. Also, I wish I would have gotten the Merc 4 stroke 115, but I can't complain about the Pro XS.
    In a heartbeat

- Dual console or not?
    Dual Console, but the side console and the passenger seat aren't exactly in line. Makes me wonder why they couldn't lengthen the seat a little. The side console compartment is DEEP.

N/A

​No clue.

11. Member
    I have a 2015 188..plus on this boat. 1- big deck .2- 115 merc four stroke 3-front step 4-15 three bank charger 5- live weii recir 6-single console 7 - ride if you don't over trim 8-2 spacer uder console for more leg room $250 from ranger. 9- warranties from ranger 3 years dealer paid for 5 on the merc 10 - 80 TM All in all It's a great boat

12. Member
    Thanks a ton everyone, this is incredible feedback and exactly what I was looking for! Happy to hear from some more owners if you have anything different to comment on since there seem to be quite a few on this forum. Just a few additional questions that I don't think were answered if anyone else happens to know...

- Maximum size electronics that can be mounted flush on the dash?
    - Is the dual console on those models removable? If so, how does the fit/finish look when removed?
    - Is the storage under the seats dry storage?
    - Does anyone know of a confirmed list of changes for the 2016 models? I don't think there is anything major but would be nice to know.
    - @TheBoo: What is the issue with the porpoise/trim tabs that are welded to the bottom? Anyone else have an issue there? Can/should they be removed?
    - How well can it pull a skier or tuber with say a 115 Merc 4-stroke? This won't happen often, but the family may want to do some recreation on the water every now and again. Have a lake house up on Buchanan.
    - Trolling motor upgrade suggestions?
    - Hummingbird or Lowrance electronics? Higher end units...what to folks prefer and why?

Based on the comments/feedback this is what I'm thinking about ordering:

- 2016 Ranger RT188 (in Charcoal Metallic)
    - Mercury 115 ELPT Fourstroke (feedback/suggestions?)
    - Dual Pro® On-Board Charger 15 x 3
    - Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each)
    - Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    - Automatic Bilge Pump (Replace Standard)
    - Recirculating Livewell
    - Front Deck Step
    - Stainless Steel Boarding Ladder
    - Custom Boat Cover
    - Stainless Steel Prop (should I get something specific elsewhere?)
    - 4 Inch Hydraulic Set-Back Plate - TH Micro Jacker
    - Electronics (unsure -- see above)
    - Retractable Trailer Tie Downs
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    - Trailer Brakes (necessary?)
    - Aluminum Frame / Galvanized Crossmember Trailer Upgrade
    - Aluminum Spare
    - Trolling motor (unsure -- see above)

Final thoughts? Thanks again, I really appreciate the insight and help!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Not to get off topic all good info from ranger owners above but just wanted to thank you for posting a new thread with your questions after seeing the owners list. It really helps keep the info more organized.
    Sure thing :)

14. Member
    Hmmm...trying to post a follow-up but not letting me. Wonder why it's requiring moderator approval...

Edit: there it is, thanks mods!
    Last edited by ckeck; 07-07-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: update

15. Member

- Mercury 115 ELPT Fourstroke (feedback/suggestions?) Good motor. Whish I had gotten it some days. Seems a bit stronger than the ProXS from the numbers I've seen here.
    - Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each) (Make it 3 if you get the 24v trolling motor so your starting battery has a holder/strap also. And you should get 24v)
    - Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    - Automatic Bilge Pump (Replace Standard)
    - Recirculating Livewell
    - Front Deck Step (I'd use the floor space myself and lose this add on)
    - Custom Boat Cover (Have one made in all honesty, might cost more but in the end, you will probably get a better cover. The factory cover is nice and it works/fits fine. I just feel you can get a long term cover for a little more money and have other options such as vents, stronger ratchet straps, etc. This isn't a ding against Ranger's cover, they are all like that. Including Tracker who uses Dowco. Dowco is a nice cover but not any thicker than the Ranger cover. I prefer a heavier cover myself.)
    - Stainless Steel Prop (should I get something specific elsewhere?) (Everyone says Laser II and that's what I got based on the feedback and input. There are some who say there are better props. I've been told by many that the Laser II is a good prop (by prop shops, not just Joe Shmo). Seems the 20p Laser II with added cup will push your boat to the max with a jackplate but you need to add A LOT of cup. See my signature below for who to send it to. For $100 you can have a custom prop that will far out perform the factory prop. I've also been told the 4-blade Trophy will run a bit faster and is best suited for jackplates due to higher in the water column. Would be worth testing. I'd have cup added to it as well. I have a 3-blade Turbo 1 prop that outperforms my cupped Laser II but the Laser has very moderate cupping. I will probably send my Turbo to have it cupped big time. It will definitely lift better than the Laser then. Already does now.
    - 4 Inch Hydraulic Set-Back Plate - TH Micro Jacker (This is only going to help if you fish super shallow water often, otherwise, the standard offset plate will be good enough and even then, don't expect major speed increases. It will give you about 1 to 1.5mph increase from the people I have spoke with that have them on these models. Which is a lot of money for bragging rights on a forum (at 1.5mph more)
    - Electronics (unsure -- see above) (Garmin.....I have Lowrance. Garmin is making a strong push in the future of Electronics and will be leading the pack soon. VERY soon)
    - Retractable Trailer Tie Downs
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    - Trailer Brakes (necessary?) (Depends on what you tow with. I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 and the trailer will push the truck a little during emergency stops. It can help. I wish I had gotten them now.)
    - Aluminum Frame / Galvanized Crossmember Trailer Upgrade
    - Aluminum Spare (Get the wheel upgrade, if you ever damage a wheel, it's much easier to get an aluminum spare later years from now in case you cannot get matching wheels. It just seemed like a peace of mind for me so I did)
    - Trolling motor (unsure -- see above) (Go digital with spot lock, it's better than Power Poles and doesn't weigh so much. Spot lock will keep you in a 5-10ft radius when fishing a point in the wind (and these boats are pushed easily in wind) and if you're tying up baits, etc. your boat can lock down and you don't have to worry about anchoring or drifting into the bank)

Red above.
    Ozark Angler
    2014 Ranger RT188

(has left the forum)

I too am planning to order a 2016, probably this winter though before I have my finances in order to do so. Here is my personal shopping list. It might give you some ideas to research.
    Much of the work I plan to do myself I already own the items and will be transferring from my current boat.

2016 Ranger Tournament RT188
    2016 Mercury 115ELPT Fourstroke
    Ranger Trail Road Armour Trailer
    Crystal Red Metalic
    Factory Options
    Dual Pro On Board Charger 15x3
    Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each)
    Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra)
    Automatic Bilge Pump
    Resurculating Livewell
    Custom Boat Cover
    4 Inch TH Marine Micro Jacker
    Retractable Trailer Tiedowns
    Aluminum Wheel Upgrade
    Aluminum Spare
    Motorguide X3 70FW FB 45 Inch 24 Volt
    Matching Pro Seat and Pedistal (in addition)
    No factory installed electronics (dash without cutout)
    Dealership Installed Items
    Mercury MercMonitor Data Level 1 Gauge with chrome bezel (centered in dash)
    Mercury Water Pressure Sensor Kit (connected to MercMonitor)
    Mercury Trophy Plus 21P Stainless Steel Propeller
    Mercury Flo-Torq III Hub Kit
    Mercury Exhaust Seal Ring
    Mercury PVS Vent Plugs (4 ea, solid, small, medium, large)
    Customer Installed Items
    Humminbird 1199ci HDSI chart plotters (2)
    Humminbird AS GPS HS heading sense GPS antenna
    Humminbird Ethernet Cable and Dongles
    Ballzout 12" Electronics Mounts (2)
    Basscat Aluminum Battery Trays (3)
    Upgrade Batteries to Sears PM-1 AGM (3)
    Attwood Anchor Reins (4)
    All Aboard Boarding Ladder
    Easy Step System Trailer Ladder
    EZ Slide Trailer Bunk Pads

Thanks a ton everyone, this is incredible feedback and exactly what I was looking for! Happy to hear from some more owners if you have anything different to comment on since there seem to be quite a few on this forum. Just a few additional questions that I don't think were answered if anyone else happens to know...

- Maximum size electronics that can be mounted flush on the dash? - Not my ball game.
    - Is the dual console on those models removable? If so, how does the fit/finish look when removed? - Port console is not removable. Not sure about taking it off.
    - Is the storage under the seats dry storage? - Yes. I've found that all the storage compartments are impressively dry. My boat sat in the water in pouring rain all night with water to the tops of the batteries, and the compartments were dry.
    - Does anyone know of a confirmed list of changes for the 2016 models? I don't think there is anything major but would be nice to know. - No.
    - @TheBoo: What is the issue with the porpoise/trim tabs that are welded to the bottom? Anyone else have an issue there? Can/should they be removed? - The welding trim tabs are just aggravating. They throw a rooster tail as high as the motor on each side, slow you down, and in my experience with my boat loaded with gear: it still porpoises if I trim up to fast. Keep them on for factory warranty reasons.
    - How well can it pull a skier or tuber with say a 115 Merc 4-stroke? This won't happen often, but the family may want to do some recreation on the water every now and again. Have a lake house up on Buchanan. - my boat will pull a skier or tube very easily from my experience a few weeks ago. The design of the hull helps a lot with popping out of the water at low speeds. I'd venture to say the 4 stroke would have the similar results.
    - Trolling motor upgrade suggestions? - My Maxxum 24v 70# is plenty.
    - Hummingbird or Lowrance electronics? Higher end units...what to folks prefer and why? - Not my ball game.

Based on the comments/feedback this is what I'm thinking about ordering:

- Mercury 115 ELPT Fourstroke (feedback/suggestions?)
    - Battery w/ Holder / TM (2 Each)
    - Front Deck Rod Strap (Extra) - This will be a nice add on. Wish I had a second one.
    - Automatic Bilge Pump (Replace Standard) - Not sure of the cost but I've used my bilge pump once outside of the rainy day described above. The boat is very dry even when coming off plane quickly. May be unnecessary.
    - Recirculating Livewell - My boat came with a normal aerator with timer that pumps in fresh water, instead of recirculating old water. Keeps the fish alive all day long compared to my cousin's recirculater (different boat brand) that doesn't work well with keeping his fish alive. He brings an ice chest because of this.
    - Front Deck Step - The space is more important.
    - Custom Boat Cover
    - Stainless Steel Prop (should I get something specific elsewhere?) - 20 pitch laser II is ideal without a jackplate, not sure with one. added cup helps but be careful not to lose too many RPMs with too much cup.
    - 4 Inch Hydraulic Set-Back Plate - TH Micro Jacker
    - Electronics (unsure -- see above)
    - Retractable Trailer Tie Downs - This would be nice but you may over pay if purchased through Ranger. Not sure if that's accurate but may want to check.
    - Aluminum Wheel Upgrade - Yes.
    - Trailer Brakes (necessary?) - It's not a heavy package to pull.
    - Aluminum Frame / Galvanized Crossmember Trailer Upgrade Depends if you want to put in salt water or not.
    - Aluminum Spare - Yes
    - Trolling motor (unsure -- see above)

- Maximum size electronics that can be mounted flush on the dash?!
    Though I didn't buy the RT188 I did do my homework on it, the largest graph you can put in the console flush mounted is a 7 inch unit. Humminbird, Lowrance, Garmin etc..... All 7 inch units should fit. If you want to put something larger on then I would look at a Ram mount or there is a mount you can put on your dash that will accommodate a larger unit but bear in mind this will not be a flush mount. There is a thread on it here in the forum but right now I'm unable to find it. The thread does have pics and looks pretty good.

Eat, Sleep, Hunt & Fish

2010 Tracker Tournament V18 18' 3"
    Mercury 115 Optimax, Mercury Spitfire X7 Prop 19P
    Minn Kota 70b Thrust Maxxum
    6 inch CMC Pro Hi-Jacker
    Lowrance Elite 7 TI (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS7 GEN 3 Touch (Console)
    Smartcraft Merc Monitor (Basic)

First I want to say I love my boat. Just a few comments. The motor is a personal preference. You'll find as many guys who want the 2 stroke as you will the 4 stroke.
    The rod strap can be done by you at home for a minimal cost.
    The storage under the seats are NOT dry in my 2014. I had to find a water tight container for my tool box. The other storage areas are dry.
    For the trolling motor I would go with a 24v, 70 lb. variable speed at a minimum. Most guys want the 80 lb. thrust.
    Retractable tie downs cost twice as much with the Ranger name over the same brand without the Ranger name.

Good luck with your purchase. I know you will enjoy the boat.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

20. Member
    I know this guy probably already purchased but for those reading this thread for your own benefit I have a 2016 Rt188 I bought off a dealer's lot back in early spring. I looked at everything in my area from Xpress, Alumacraft, Triton, Crestliner, and yes,...Tracker. I sold a 2012 Xpress XP180 with the sportsman's package in camo with the spray in liner and an f70 Yamaha. Although I caught a lot of fish out of the Xpress there were some things I hated about it. The spray in liner is very, very hot in the summer so I got carpet in the Ranger. The aluminum lids on all the boxes had no braces underneath them so they all warped out of shape and never shut right after my 300 pound fishing partner stepped on them. The f70 was nice and sipped fuel so I went with the 115 sho on the ranger. Love it. I would've ordered 3 across seating. You can do that on the non "C" model and I crappie fish but didn't want the other "C" features. I would've gotten the digital minnkota-fortrex-maxxum and atleast a 7 inch in the dash with gps and di. A Powerpole. Adding one after the fact is a pain. Other than that I love this boat. The quality is very apparent compared to the other brands I looked at. I got the wheel upgrade and the custom cover free and talked them down $1500. The Yamaha sho is a very nice motor. My boat runs 53-54 with a light load and 50 packed. I have a SS 19 pitch prop on it. I do believe if you could get a 150 on it that it would be better. If I would've known they were coming out with the 198 I would've waited. The 24v minnkota 70 edge it came with has plenty of power and will last all day. My boat is a single console. I looked at the dual but you give up a lot of space. Kinda wish I had the deck step though. 2 people can comfortably fish off the front deck. Overall this boat is awesome. I've had it in 2-3 foot rollers and it handles rough water fine if you take it easy. I'd buy again but would get the 198 with a 150 though.