Champion 190SX Questions for PAT Goff

Hi Pat. Just a couple of questions about my 190SX Fish & Ski. I read you post on champion history and find it quite interesting.

1. Did Dave Schlick design the 190SX hull?

2. Is the 190SX hull a deeper V than the 190DC or 191? The ride is great!

3. Does my 2001 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L have a rev limiter? I have heard different stories about this. I once tried a 23 Tempest and it ran 6100 RPM @ 65.7 mph. It seems this engine makes good power even beyond 5800.

I usually run a 24 Trophy 66-67 mph @5800. The 24 Trophy performs and handles fantastic on my rig. I have an R&R slidemaster jackplate with 8" of set back. Propshaft 3.25 - 3.5 below pad. Just a trace of chinewalk at WOT and max trim with a lght load. Lift is phenominal and water pressure #15 PSI (18 with new impeller)

4. How do you think a 24 Fury would work? How about a 24 Tempest? (My guess the Fury would not be the best for this hull and 2.5L motor).

5. I Love this boat and want to keep it for life. Knowing someday I might need to repower, will this boat take the 505lb weight of the newer DFI 200's?

I know this was a long post. Thank your for your time and thoughts!

Bob Fledderman, Bloomongton MN

2. Member

Re: Champion 190SX Questions for PAT Goff (fledderw)

You need to read Pat's book......................Oh yea, he has not done the book thing yet.
    BILLY. 1995 202DCX ELITE TEAM FATBOY
    & 2000 tracker PT185
    2015 Fish count
    Days on the Water =5.
    Big fish 1-5.5
    Big fish 2-5.00000
    Big fish 3-4.0
    Big fish 4-3.0smallmouth
    Big fish 5-@2.50

3. Member

Fledderw

I have a friend with pretty much the exact set-up with very similar numbers. He will also be repowering in the next short while.

So...I have this question for Pat as well......How will the 190sx handle a 3.1 or 3.3 liter block. This could allow a 225 or even a 250 hp......that would be an awesome Fish'n'ski

Bill

4. Pat Goff

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by fledderw &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Hi Pat. Just a couple of questions about my 190SX Fish & Ski. I read you post on champion history and find it quite interesting.

1. Did Dave Schlick design the 190SX hull? *No, the 191, 186, 202, 221*

2. Is the 190SX hull a deeper V than the 190DC or 191? The ride is great! *Nope, same hull.

3. Does my 2001 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L have a rev limiter? I have heard different stories about this. I once tried a 23 Tempest and it ran 6100 RPM @ 65.7 mph. It seems this engine makes good power even beyond 5800.
    Not really a limiter, it does start to retard timing and throws more fuel past 5,800.

I usually run a 24 Trophy 66-67 mph @5800. The 24 Trophy performs and handles fantastic on my rig. I have an R&R slidemaster jackplate with 8" of set back. Propshaft 3.25 - 3.5 below pad. Just a trace of chinewalk at WOT and max trim with a lght load. Lift is phenominal and water pressure #15 PSI (18 with new impeller)
    Leave it the heck alone then.

4. How do you think a 24 Fury would work? How about a 24 Tempest? (My guess the Fury would not be the best for this hull and 2.5L motor).
    You're better than average, don't fix what ain't broke.

5. I Love this boat and want to keep it for life. Knowing someday I might need to repower, will this boat take the 505lb weight of the newer DFI 200's?
    Yup.
    I know this was a long post. Thank your for your time and thoughts!
    More interesting than watching the weather channel in a hotel room.

Bob Fledderman, Bloomongton MN
    </td></tr></table> <u></u>
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member

Re: Champion 190SX Questions for PAT Goff (pmgoffjr)

Thank you Pat and others for your replies!

I have a 200 190sx and so far I like it.. I have not pushed it to it's limits yet.. I am just getting the hang of things before wrapping it up for the Winter.

I am now a little nervous after reading this.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=586967

I know it is a different model, but same company.

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator

Re: Champion 190SX Questions for PAT Goff (slinkeey)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by slinkeey &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have a 200 190sx and so far I like it.. I have not pushed it to it's limits yet.. I am just getting the hang of things before wrapping it up for the Winter.

I am now a little nervous after reading this.

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=586967

I know it is a different model, but same company.</td></tr></table>

Company has nothing do with it. The transom on ANY boat will get wet, rot ect ect if NOT properly sealed. And yes this even goes for the "composite" transoms too. These transoms don't just rot for the hell of it. Something has to be the cause of the problem and usually it's guys not sealing there transoms after drilling a kabillion holes in it.

Re: Champion 190SX Questions for PAT Goff (H2O_Fowl)

No need to panic. I bought my first bass boat in 1978, that's right I was 16. It was a 1972 Caddo with a 55hp rude and stick steering. I had that thing on Toledo Bend, Big Sam Rayburn, and most of the good lakes in east Texas. With that said I've owned over 20 bass boats since the old Caddo. I have owned Skeeters, Champions, Basscats, and a couple of Rangers. Everything breaks boats, outboards, cars, motorcycles, washers, dryers, everything. I've seen/know guys that could tear up an anvil with a tooth pick and they don't take care of anything. There is also the possibility of defects from the factory. You have humans building it and we all make mistakes and have bad days. I would feel safe to say that anything built in Mountain Home is build with extreme pride and workmanship. The best two brands of boats I ever owned were Champions and Basscats. It also seems that more often than not the guys that don't take care of there stuff are the first ones to bitch about it being a pile of s#@t. I would not worry about your 190 Champion just take care of it and it should give you a lot of years of service and take the negative crap people say with a grain of salt because we never know all the factors that contributed to something breaking. Just my two cents.

Sorry for the long post!