Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Call For Price?????

I think it should be mandatory that if you post a boat for sale that it must have a price. Just my .02

2. Member
    Should put a price on everything, not just boats. Don't know what the secret is, are they gonna give different prices to different people?

3. Member
    If its a new boat and you are advertising out of your market area many of the franchises will not allow them to show the price. But I agree they should! IF you are secure in your pricing why not show it!

4. Member
    I figure they do this for several reasons: 1. They don't want to sticker shock anyone before they talk to them....plus they want to know how bad they can screw you on your trade before they quote a price. 2. They will talk "monthly payment" rather than price tag. $500/month sounds a lot better than $70,000.

I can't stand when companies do this. It makes me not want to shop with them.

6. #FRB
    Best thing anyone can do is do their homework and already have financing from an outside source lined up so the only number that matters is the price you both agree on...or pay cashI'm sure people walk into a boat dealer and plop $70k on the counter daily for their new boat

When I see an ad like that, I just scroll right past it. On the BBC, Craigslist, newspaper-----

If it's a current year new model the manufacturer won't allow the dealers to list the price. As soon as it's non-current they'll list the price.

9. Member
    What I hate is when they give you a price. Then you drive 4 hrs there and it is $10000 more!

10. 9/11 - Never forget markheb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    When I see an ad like that, I just scroll right past it. On the BBC, Craigslist, newspaper-----
    +1. I understand the new model or manufacturer not allowing the price, but I don't ever "call for price". Seems they lose a lot of sales that way.

11. Member
    I wasn't referring to new stuff, I was talking used. Somebody locally posted a house for sale, call for price.

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    I wasn't referring to new stuff, I was talking used. Somebody locally posted a house for sale, call for price.
    So they can lube you up before trying to rip you off?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Best thing anyone can do is do their homework and already have financing from an outside source lined up so the only number that matters is the price you both agree on...or pay cashI'm sure people walk into a boat dealer and plop $70k on the counter daily for their new boat
    For young guys on their first boat I get the can't pay cash and I get the guys who trade every year can't pay cash but it seems to me the guys who finance for say 4 or 5 years could save what they pay for 4 or 5 years trade in their 8 to 10 year old boat or sell outright and pay cash. What ever length you finance for in the short term, you are able to make the payment so why shouldn't one be able to save for the same length and pay cash?

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    I usually recommend that they list a price instead of "call for price" on a used boat. I would call if it was a new one, I wouldn't if it was used.

15. Banned

16. Member
    Wonder how long before the FTC starts cracking down on Marine, RV, ATV dealers the way they have been car dealers for deceptive advertising and pricing methods!

17. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    For young guys on their first boat I get the can't pay cash and I get the guys who trade every year can't pay cash but it seems to me the guys who finance for say 4 or 5 years could save what they pay for 4 or 5 years trade in their 8 to 10 year old boat or sell outright and pay cash. What ever length you finance for in the short term, you are able to make the payment so why shouldn't one be able to save for the same length and pay cash?
    That's my thinking but you have guys that go in and finance over $60k for 12-15 years on a boat they really can't afford in the first place. If I were to finance for that length of time I could make the payments on a brand new loaded rig with a 250. I'm smart enough to know that's a VERY bad idea. I'm 33 years old, single, and not stretched to the outer limits financially. My plan is to go ahead and buy something sensible like a Margay, 186vlo, or 179trx while I still have a year to pay my truck off. Fishing out of a 1436 with a 20hp has caused me to love it for its intended purpose but want something safe for big water that the flatbottom has no business being in, but I do risk it from time to time and cancel my trip even more because of the wind. I've had two rigs in the 19' class with a 200hp and they were both turds in a punch bowl in different ways. Seen better days and I finished them off uncovering their hidden structural issues. I've set my cap at $30k out the door for something brand new with a 115 or 150hp. And finance with a $350 payment in mind. When the truck is paid off I'll start making double payments on the boat with the option of going back to the lower payment at any time if my truck takes a dive or something else major happens. The boat will be garage kept and pampered but used enough not to be a garage queen. I only drive 10000 miles a year so my truck with 44k on it now should be good for another 8-10 years...and I love the big white HEMI powered pig. If I'm smart I'll pay the truck off early, finance the boat for 5 years to help keep interest rate down, and hope to God my Ram holds up while making a big boat payment while steadily putting a couple hundred in savings every month to cover the transmission most every truck made by Chrysler needs at some point.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 07-03-2015 at 10:27 AM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    That's my thinking but you have guys that go in and finance over $60k for 12-15 years on a boat they really can't afford in the first place. If I were to finance for that length of time I could make the payments on a brand new loaded rig with a 250. I'm smart enough to know that's a VERY bad idea. I'm 33 years old, single, and not stretched to the outer limits financially. My plan is to go ahead and buy something sensible like a Margay, 186vlo, or 179trx while I still have a year to pay my truck off. Fishing out of a 1436 with a 20hp has caused me to love it for its intended purpose but want something safe for big water that the flatbottom has no business being in, but I do risk it from time to time and cancel my trip even more because of the wind. I've had two rigs in the 19' class with a 200hp and they were both turds in a punch bowl in different ways. Seen better days and I finished them off uncovering their hidden structural issues. I've set my cap at $30k out the door for something brand new with a 115 or 150hp. And finance with a $350 payment in mind. When the truck is paid off I'll start making double payments on the boat with the option of going back to the lower payment at any time if my truck takes a dive or something else major happens. The boat will be garage kept and pampered but used enough not to be a garage queen. I only drive 10000 miles a year so my truck with 44k on it now should be good for another 8-10 years...and I love the big white HEMI powered pig. If I'm smart I'll pay the truck off early, finance the boat for 5 years to help keep interest rate down, and hope to God my Ram holds up while making a big boat payment while steadily putting a couple hundred in savings every month to cover the transmission most every truck made by Chrysler needs at some point.
    Sounds like a good plan for you, very responsible.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markheb View Post
    +1. I understand the new model or manufacturer not allowing the price, but I don't ever "call for price". Seems they lose a lot of sales that way.
    I agree. I see "Call for price" and I don't bother. It annoys me more than anything else.

I agree 100%
    To me if they don't show the price it just means they are ashamed of the price they are asking!
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast