Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Put a set of Kawells on my trailer today for back up lights, they where down to 13 bucks apiece at amazon.

5.jpg6.jpg
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

2. Member
    They are great for the price for sure. They released a new version with more leds in it and I believe that's driving the price of these down even further.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

3. Member
    If they drop down some more i may buy 2 more...they are a nice heavy steel housing.
    Bruce Phillips

4. Member
    Yep. Good quality for sure. I bought 3 sets. One for my boat trailer, one for my utility trailer, and one for my truck. I have not installed the ones on the truck but I am thinking on either using those or buying a new set for my garden tractor to add backup lights on it.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

Just installed mine!
    Thanks for the tip CXThree

6. Member
    They look great. Nice Job.

Is there any problem with these lights possibly blinding others as you back down the ramp?
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    Is there any problem with these lights possibly blinding others as you back down the ramp?
    Who would it blind if you was backing down a ramp...should not be anyone behind you when you backing down...but if there was at least they would see you..i dont think they would blind anyone.....they look good in the day time also.
    Bruce Phillips

I'm thinking at a tourney on a multi lane ramp. How would it affect others on the ramp. I like the idea of the lights but I don't want to be 'that guy"
    Eddie

You guys are using the Kawell floods not spots correct?

11. Member
    yes it will blind a boater at the ramp depending on the height of the ground above ramp. A fix would be using a adjustable switch at the dash that could be turned to the left to decrease voltage/brightness to the lights and when turned to the right it increases the voltage/brightness. That is the setup I'm going to use and install over the winter.

12. Member
    I use floods. I wanted broad lighting at the ramp to see side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by javelin90 View Post
    yes it will blind a boater at the ramp depending on the height of the ground above ramp. A fix would be using a adjustable switch at the dash that could be turned to the left to decrease voltage/brightness to the lights and when turned to the right it increases the voltage/brightness. That is the setup I'm going to use and install over the winter.
    Thanks. Something to consider. I'll probably get a set and experiment.
    Eddie

14. Member
    You want the floods. And as far as blinding other people as with headlights alignment is key. Just point them down a little and you should be fine for the most part... I personally don't think it's worth the effort to try and put them on a dimmer unless I start hearing complaints...and even then I'd just point them down more until desired results were achieved. Unless you just like tinkering with things...which I fully understand!

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

You could always add a waterproof switch like the one from Bluewater led between the lights and the rest of the wiring. It surface mounts with 3m tape. That would give you the ability to turn off if needed. I received my Kawell lights today. The mounting bolt is bigger than I anticipated. I need to use something else anyway because it's too short to fit through my trailer tubing so I think I'll downsize the diameter a bit while I'm at it. I plan to mount under the bunks like CxThree did.

I bought a set of these off Amazon (from RichSolar) to add to the boat trailer as back-up lights. But threw them on my ATV to replace a pair of old halogen fog lights I use in winter for plowing. These LEDs are pretty sweet! They don't draw near the current as the halogens, and throw plenty of bright white light.

The stock Polaris twin incandescent low-beams. The two urns are about 60 feet away:
    LED 1.jpg
    The new LEDs:
    LED 2.jpg

Polaris.jpg

Definitely going to order another pair to use on the boat trailer now! Thanks for the tip, guys!

Note: Only negative is the mounting bracket did not allow for much down-angle adjustment when the bracket is top-mounted (light mounted above the bracket, vs hanging down below it).

Have back up lights on the trailer but disconnected them. Just another idea for back up lights.
    Last edited by LittleRiver MSports; 11-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

THESE LIGHTS ARE NOT WATER PROOF AFTER ABOUT A COUPLE OF LOADING AND UNLOADING LOOK AT THE LENS AND YOU CAN SEE SOME SMALL WATER DROPS ,GET SOME CLEAR SILICONE AND GO AROUND THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE LENS AND PUT SOME WHERE THE WIRE GOES INTO THE BACK OF THE LIGHT, I LEARNED THE HARD WAY

19. Member
    You must have got a bad pair. I have 2 sets on 2 separate trailers and friends with them on their trailers. My boat is in and out of the water most weekends and I have not seen the issue you describe. Sorry to hear you have a bad set. The good news is they are cheap enough to grab another set. For the price, it's probably a safe bet to add silicon to them. Good idea.

20. Member
    I think CX3 is trying to spend my money!!! I had to get a set too!! Good thread, thanks guys!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast