Loss of rpm (and power?) on 150 Evinrude Intruder 1997

Hi
    New to this forum, greetings from Finland. I recently got a 1997 150 (E150ILEUC, serial G04295094) intruder with a broken ignition module (450h on the engine). The module was fixed at DFi and now i got the engine out for a few testruns.

The engine starts fine and runs smootlhy but doesn't give me more than 4900 rpm and the speed is only 31knots. A friend has a identical engine and boat (Buster Magnum), he gets 41knots at 5400rpm. Tested with different props, no big impact on speed or rpm.

The engine gives a water in fuel error on a regular basis, haven't found any logic in when it happens. Randomly best describes it. I've changed the fuel filters, the water in fuel sensor and emptied the fuel tank. It's seem that the EMM "can't let go of the erros"? One technician here said the error could be related to the tachometer. Any views on that?

I don't think the rpm and the water in fuel errors are related, two seperat problems?

Planning to do a de-carb this weekend if i can find some stuff similar to sea foam here

Thoughts?

Regards
    Jan
    Last edited by JanW; 07-02-2015 at 04:29 AM.

Try to locate some BRP engine tune to do the de-carb, afterward do a compression test if it checks out make sure the throttle bodies are opening all the way. The injectors may also need to be cleaned and verified!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    This is an issue with the ECM on the early Fichts. Parts are not available for the water in fuel sensor. Some have used a Merc sensor in it's place....It's an issue in the ECM that is pricey to fix.

4. Member
    So i got a few steps forward on this issue.

Measured the compression, appr 100psi on all 6 cylinders. While doing the compresison test and the decarb, i realized that the sparkplug on cylinder 2 was more or les clean even if i've been using the engine for some hours since i changed them. So the problem is most likely no spark in that plug. Actually cranked the motor with the plug removed and got no spark. Checked the cables, switched them around, same result. Did the same with the coils, same result i.e the coil works fine on the otjer cylinders. Will get a ignition tester tomorrow to be 100% sure there no spark while it plugged in. The issue is probably in the power pack/ignition module. It has allready been fixed DFI once, the problem has been there ever since i got it back.

Also did some test with the Evinrude software on the laptop and the following occurred: tested by disabling one injectore at the time. When disabling one, the engine reacted by lowering the rpm until the test was stopped or cancell. However on cylinder 2, there was no differens when disabling, the motor kept running normally and there was no change in rpm etc. This to me indicates that the cylinder is not firing ? Or is it a faulty injector? No error codes on the EMM indicates that.

Any easy way to continue trying to locate the problem? I will send the powerpack back to DFI once i'm 100% sure thats the problem. The cost for sending it back an forth from Finland is nearly 500$, want to be sure before i send it and have an unusable boat for some 4 weeks (in the middle of the boatingseason)

Thoughts?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Find one in Finland used.