Gas Smell in Lockers & Bilge

New to this forum and have a new to me '09 176XT which is my first glass boat, been in tin for years. Recently moved her into the garage and noticed the gas smell when opening the lockers. Does anyone have any experience dealing with this and or the best way to access the fuel tank for inspection? Thinking remove the live-well and lockers on both sides? Was told the 3 squares you can see in the carpet above the tank on the deck are some sort of access as well but not familiar with how to remove them? Thanks in advance and happy Monday!

Most boats, and assume yours does as well, have a poly tank. The smell will come though the tank. Since you are keeping it in a garage, leave the rear compartment open to allow it to vent. To be on the safe side, check all of you fuel line fittings and clamps to make sure there are no leaks. Also check the vent where tank vents on the side of the boat to make sure it is open
    "I see dead people"

3. Member
    Makes sense. I've been out 4-5 times now and never noticed it till I brought it in the garage for a good cleaning. Now getting to the tank to check connections is something I have to figure out, so any help there would be much appreciated as well. Another note, when I went to remove the gas cap, it was extremely tight and I expected to hear a vacuum when I finally got it loose, but never did.
    Last edited by Reefs N Ridges; 06-29-2015 at 09:03 AM.

4. Banned
    As hot as it gets down here, I never fill my tank real full as it will vent fumes thru the fuel vent on the side of the hull. And I keep mine in the garage also, with the back hatch propped open.

5. Member
    Okay understood. I did pull the storage boxes and confirmed for sure a plastic tank. Still can't see any fuel lines or sending units though as the livewell is in the way. No gas puddles anywhere though so thinking must just be the nature of the beast.

6. Member
    i get a slight fuel smell in my rear compartment at times if I leave it all closed up--not strong at all, just a slight odor--have never had a fuel leak. might also have a vent?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Banned
    My 186XT has the gas smell; it migrates through the plastic tank.
    If your 176 is like my 186, there should be 3 square spots in the carpet just behind the middle seat. There is a screw in each corner of the squares, you stick a philips screwdriver through the carpet to access the screws. The squares are access hatches to the top of the fuel tank.

8. Member
    Thx Nova Kaw, that's what I was looking for. Was poking around in the bilge again yesterday and my nose took me to the fuel/water separator filter. Couldn't find anything at the moment but will keep an eye on it when under power with fuel flowing through it.

9. Member
    Found it! Fuel/Water separator filter was leaking and because of the angle of the transom it wasn't visible dripping down the back side. So I go to remove the filter and it's tight beyond belief. Finally get it off and the rubber gasket is so distorted and stretched unlike anything I've ever seen. I take off the filter housing to see what's going on and it looked as though at one time there must have been a cork gasket in place as I had to scap and then wire brush to clean the cork off the mating surface to accept the new filter. Guessing the fellow that owned it before me knew of the leak and just kept tightening the filter to try and stop it and all it did was make it worse! Anyway, no more gas smell. Thanks to all for your help, great day!
    IMG_2511.jpg

10. Banned
    Strange to have a second water separator on a 176. What motor is on it?

11. Member
    If it on a Yamaha it's ok but not on a Mercury .

12. Member
    It's on a Yamaha 50 oil injected 2 stroke. Curious, you mention a second, is the other your thinking of the one under the bonnet? While I didn't find any water in the filter I removed, there were fine particles of dirt.

13. Member

Where

Quote Originally Posted by Reefs N Ridges View Post
    Found it! Fuel/Water separator filter was leaking and because of the angle of the transom it wasn't visible dripping down the back side. So I go to remove the filter and it's tight beyond belief. Finally get it off and the rubber gasket is so distorted and stretched unlike anything I've ever seen. I take off the filter housing to see what's going on and it looked as though at one time there must have been a cork gasket in place as I had to scap and then wire brush to clean the cork off the mating surface to accept the new filter. Guessing the fellow that owned it before me knew of the leak and just kept tightening the filter to try and stop it and all it did was make it worse! Anyway, no more gas smell. Thanks to all for your help, great day!
    IMG_2511.jpg
    Where did you find the water separator