Question Vessel View 4 NMEA 2000 confusion

G,day guys,
    I am a little confused about power supplies on a NMEA 2000 network. The vessel view unit is powered by the smartcraft can bus, is there an issue with multiply power supplies to the network if I already have the network powered by its own supply?. I have just purchased a new Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3 and wish to have this on the network as well, just really confused about the network powering devices that are already supplied by other means, ie the smartcraft can bus. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jw

2. Member
    The can bus is powered by ignition switch when on yes. It will supply power to your network but only when the ignition key switch in on. But if you have say a separate point 1 antenna on your nmea network you will need to have a nmea power inline also because you need power to supply that constant when you turn the ignition off or you will loose power to the network. The unit will power itself when connected to it's power source but not any other items on the nmea backbone. If you don't have any other separate nmea items on the network that need power then your ok. Yes it's ok to have double power to the nmea network. That is how it's designed to work.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can bus supplies 12V power to the Vessel-View. It DOES NOT supply power to your NMEA-2000 network (that is a separate power supply).

Build a NMEA-2000 backbone, via industry standards.

Vessel View and your HDS unit will each be "drops" from that backbone, via a "tee".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor