Evinrude 115 or other outboard on Ranger RT188?

I've been considering picking up an RT188 and getting back into fishing after about a 10 year hiatus. I'm planning to wait for a 2016 model as I'd like to keep saving and pay cash if possible and I heard the Ranger boat show or something is next month, so we'll see.

My question is about the outboard motor choices since you can equip with several. Maybe I haven't done enough research but the Evinrude 115DGL was seemingly a good choice and I came across some favorable reviews. I know every brand has their problems here and there but when I reached out to a dealer they told me they wouldn't order with an Evinrude.

I kept pushing and they relented and said they could one-off order it but that they would never stock one that way. Said they are a Yamaha/Mercury/Suzuki dealer and Evinrude "isn't what it used to be".

So, what are your thoughts here? I'm sure they have their reasons whatever it may be (troubles with product or better incentives to sell others, who knows), but I can't tell, so I'd like a second opinion so to speak. Ranger seems fond of the Evinrude outboards. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!

Give Ben Hogan a call at Diamond Sports Marine on Lake Fork. They order Rangers with all three brands. I saw on their web site a 188 with an Evinrude.

Cliff Bradford
    2014 Ranger Z520C Mercury 250ProXS

3. Member
    I prefer a Mercury 2nd Yamaha 3rd Suzuki and if I can't get one those I would go with a evinrude.But they are all good in that HP category just get the one you can serviced in your area by great mechanics because your not always close to where you bought it when its going to put you down if does anyways.The 16's should be at he dealers sometime in August,and your selecting an awesome Tin boat you'll love it congrats....

4. Member
    We sell Etec, Merc and Yamaha engines, there is nothing bad wrong with a 115 Etec, we have had great luck with those. On the other hand we also have had great luck with the other two brands also. Just make sure they are a BRP certified dealer so you will have some one to service it.
    i will say this the 188 is one fine well made boat, seats are real nice along with a custom made trailer to fit it at Ranger.

5. Member
    Almost forgot welcome to the BBC, you can get most any question answered here, please let me know if u have any questions I can help u with.

Welcome to BBC! I would go with a Mercury 4 Stroke first. In the last ten years there have been some great strides in 4stroke motors.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I wold go with the 115 hp Yamaha F series 4 stroke. That is about as close as you'll get to a "bullet-proof" motor. 2nd choice would be a Merc...4 stroke or Pro XS. Frankly, I wouldn't won an Evinrude with all of the assorted problems that have appeared. And, I used to own nothing but Johnsons and Evinrudes.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I have a Yamaha f115b on my z117 and love this motor great on fuel economy quiet and lots of torque also easy to work on especially oil changes

2019 RANGER Z518 - Mercury ProXS 150 4 Stroke

·...¸><((((º>
    .··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
    ·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

9. Member
    Looks like that there all getting good reviews , I would go with the one that has a good service department close to you . Congrats on your new boat and welcome.
    2018 Z520L , 250 pro xs, ultrex 112 , hds 16 carbon , hds 12 carbon both on bbt mounts. Dual power poles

10. Banned
    Some dealers only service certain motors. So you buy the boat from them with a motor they do not service and they lose a good portion of your service business to another dealer. Some dealers service multiple brands and you can order in any of the brands they service. Personally, with motors being equal, I would buy whichever motor at the dealer that has the best service department. It will save you a lot of headaches down the line.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I wold go with the 115 hp Yamaha F series 4 stroke. That is about as close as you'll get to a "bullet-proof" motor. 2nd choice would be a Merc...4 stroke or Pro XS. Frankly, I wouldn't won an Evinrude with all of the assorted problems that have appeared. And, I used to own nothing but Johnsons and Evinrudes.
    I will admit we had problems with the 05 threw 09 bigger Etec but none I can remember with the smaller 90 and 115 Etec. Again if your dealer does not service BRP engines I would go Mercury 4 Stroke. That new Mercury 4 stroke has been a good performer.

12. Member
    I would go with the 4 Stroke mainly for lack of oil tank. After batteries, oil tank power pole pumps(if you add the) it gets crowded in the back. My buddy just bought the RT188 and chose the 4stroke after seeing the extra room where the oil tank used to be.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/theadamsprojectfly
    Instagram: theadamsproject

13. Member
    Thanks everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it. I didn't know about the oil tank issue, that is definitely a perk for the 4-stroke. I also did some more research and saw that the Mercury 4-strokes were recently updated models (2014) I guess and the reviews have been pretty favorable.

I'll continue researching but that may be a good alternative. Thought the ETecs were better than some of your comments would suggest (good marketing I guess).