Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Poor Man Power Poles...Who is using them?

I am trying to get some opinions from people that are actually using non powered shallow water anchors...What brand are you using, how do you like them, any downfalls, etc.

I am thinking of getting some, have seen the ads for people selling them but have never really seen a thread from the users out there.

Thanks in advance

I'm kind of curious what you mean, any pics?

I use These:

Stick It Anchor Pins

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

4. Member
    Cajun Marsh Anchors – H&H Lure Company

This is what I use, but homemade. Brother in law works at a shipyard.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason280_2 View Post
    I'm kind of curious what you mean, any pics?
    Pretty much a Power Pole or Talon but not powered. I will do this so it doesnt look like Im promoting any specific type...

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002

Just click on any of the first couple links..

shallow water anchors.jpgHere is a pic of my boat anchored with them during a Memorial Day outing with the family...

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

I'm using a Venom Downright.

8. Member
    Do you guys find the 8 foot rod is enough? I see many people wishing they had the 10-12 foot poles on the power side...Wondering if you guys feel the same

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitionman View Post
    I'm using a Venom Downright.
    How do you like this unit? This design really peaks my interest since it seems as though most all the other units connect to the stern of the boat.

10. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I use a "Wang".. Works great if you use the mount (which is removable) but Im lazy and usually just stick it in and attach to a cleat with short bungy.. It doesn't hold as well without the mount though, if your in a lot of wind/current..

11. Member
    I bought two 10 foot king pin anchors for fishing shallow water last year. They came as two 5 foot sections which easily went into a rod locker. I bought two 1 1/4" stainless steel rings from a marine store and tied ropes to them to connect them to my boat cleats so I did not have to purchase the high dollar brackets. Worked very well except for storing them while on the water moving around to different spots. I purchased two Talons in May and keep asking myself why I went the cheap route the first time. I was able to sale the first ones and get my money back. The 10 foot manual poles is the way to go being 8 foot solid is hard to store in a rod locker. Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    I use a "Wang".. Works great if you use the mount (which is removable) but Im lazy and usually just stick it in and attach to a cleat with short bungy.. It doesn't hold as well without the mount though, if your in a lot of wind/current..

want to sell it

seriously the wang anchor is very good..
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    I have the stick-it in an 8ft. The investment has been 100% worth it even if I end up buying some talons. Here is my learning.

- 8ft will anchor you in roughly 6 to 6.5 ft of water as the pin goes into the mud. This is often not deep enough. This has taught me I need 12ft talons if I upgrade.
    - it works great on any semi-soft bottom. I always use the 5ft lanyard they provide. short one does not work well for me.
    - I can leave at home when I know I will fish deep and I don't have any extra weight to carry that impacts boat speed.
    - Takes me about 10 seconds to deploy. You need shoulders and arms in good physical condition.
    - Not easy to store but does not take up much room on the front deck.
    - I don't use it much because my fishing has not called for me to do so. likely would use a 8ft talon or pp only slightly more.

My boat is Florida bound in November for the winter. Going to try my pin on the lakes of south Florida. If the bottom is too hard to insert in the shell/sand based bottom I will add talons. If I can insert it into the bottom it is a reasonable solution with very low cost and nothing to break.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

14. Member
    The Wang system does seem like a nice alternative...

2 regular anchors and nylon rope, all I ever used for years for what few times wanted to stay put in a spot.. usually just find a shady spot and tie onto a tree at bank for the lunch break.

16. Banned
    wang user here. it does the job for the few times you need it

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKWho View Post
    Do you guys find the 8 foot rod is enough? I see many people wishing they had the 10-12 foot poles on the power side...Wondering if you guys feel the same

that depends mainly on bottom composition, but i think you will want 10ft minimum. Then the problem beccomes handling them. Setting up that 12ft pole in the boat gave me some problems. I have 2 sets and one 2ft extension and one 4 ft extension. Be warned with all the stainless steel accessories it because expensive. With this setup i can have a 8ft, 10ft, and 12ft option.

18. Banned
    you will want a 10-12 foot pole. 8 aint long enough. If you check out "max gain systems", they have a threaded connector. Buy a 12 foot pole, cut it at 7 ft and epoxy your adapter on. This way, you can store it in your rod locker without issue. On a day you might use , screw your two pieces together and leave it on the deck.

19. Member
    I agree with Speed, I have the 8' ones and most time not long enough. I made my own brackets. 20140514_183712.jpg I have more pics but can't figure out how to load them and get them right side up?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast