Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picky schooling bass

Today the largemouth were schooling pretty good feeding on this years shad that are maybe an inch long. I have never been so frustrated trying to catch schooling fish. I tried everything but the kitchen sink and ended up with 3. What do you guys throw when they are feeding and keying on such small baitfish?

2. Member
    Rooster tail

3. Member
    Try real big or real small baits.
    Born to fish, forced to work.

I was chasing smallmouth doing the same the other day. I caught three also, I used a scrounger head and a white curly tail grub. Your right its frustrating. I wish I had something better to throw.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

Small baits. Like less than 2" baits on light tackle. Try these 1.5" Charlie Brewer Crappie Grubs on a 1/16 oz jighead - they're fish crack

Ranting incoherently

6. Banned
    Chased them also today,six foot visability.Caught two on a small keiteck,tried a wacky senko (no takers)finally threw a pop- r and that was the ticket.30 lb braid to a leader for casting distance.

spoon. I real it up to the jumps and kill it and let it sink through the fish. deadly.
    Ranger Forever

8. Member
    Small tube bait. Don't set hook just start reeling and make sure the hook is very sharp.
    Praying for a Cure

9. Member
    Faced the same issue on Beaver about a month ago. Ultra clear with fish feeding on 1" shad. Started throwing a flash mob jr tipped with white skirted crappie jigs. Able to make long casts. Been smokin them ever since.

I ended up catching all 3 on a little George! I didn't even know I had it just digging around for anything they would bite! Lol

11. Banned
    jigging spoon under them where the lazy ones wait. maybe a walleye or two. or momma

3/4 oz white Rooster Tail

13. Banned
    Herrington Lake Plunker and Fly

Small white sebile throw it in the middle of the school in real it as fast as you can and kill it

Lil George, Roadrunner, small crappie sized spinnerbaits, Hopkins shorty, small flukes on a darter head. Burn them then stop, jig it, then burn it some more.

Tiny Big O in chrome with a black back. I up-size the rear hook. Throw it on a spinning rod with 6 -8 pound test line.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3/8th to 1/2 ounce kastmaster spoon works well, if you fish it fast it does great on bass busting shad. And when the school drops down you can let it flutter through them.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

18. Member
    Fly tyers make a fly the looks just like a shad. Fill a clear casting bubble half full of water, about 2 feet below the bubble tie on the fly. Put a small split shot or rubber stopper below the bubble to keep it from sliding down. Use spinning gear with 6 -8 pound test. You can cast it a mile and it matches the hatch. As soon as it hits the water start reeling slow. It has never failed to easily catch those finicky bass schooling on the surface.

Try a bass pro shop Tail spin or a little George
    Ricky Rutherford
    2017 Legend V20
    2017 250 Pro XS

20. Banned
    White Rooster Tail or a Little George.

I always put a better hook on my Little George but they will cast a mile and catch a lot of fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast