2006 200hp optimax compressor???

What will the engine do or what will symptoms be due to a failed compressor? SN 1B387497 Jul 2006 200XL OPT
    Last edited by FLFisherman99; 06-16-2015 at 09:09 AM.

2. Banned
    welcome to BBC - please note the sticky posts - SN is required in the Mercury forums http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-mot...al-number.html

3. Bassturbatin'
    I have the same motor, and my compressor kinda exploded... If it did what mine did, you would know.
    Ole Miss Fishing Team

2012 Nitro Z8
    Pro XS 200

4. Member
    Well I dont think it exploded I think it just quit heard a little to light squeak for about 30 seconds and then boat quit running properly

I had one that slowly went bad but never failed. The only thing I noticed was that the holeshot and mid range acceleration were slower. It also clogged up a couple of injectors too. If yours did fail, IMO, it is imperative to have your fuel system serviced by Don (EuropeanAM).

There are some troubleshooting techniques to determine if the compressor failed, but I am not the expert...do a search and you should be able to find the info.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I had one that slowly went bad but never failed. The only thing I noticed was that the holeshot and mid range acceleration were slower. It also clogged up a couple of injectors too. If yours did fail, IMO, it is imperative to have your fuel system serviced by Don (EuropeanAM).

There are some troubleshooting techniques to determine if the compressor failed, but I am not the expert...do a search and you should be able to find the info.

I will do some more looking around not a a lot on compressor issues believe it or not. My engine will start.... It idles very poorly. sometimes when starts it revs a bit and sometimes it will rev itself up just before shutting off.

I did test on external tank get same issue. I took VST off replaced red filter and checked both pumps. Both kicked on with a battery test. put all back together get same response. going to grab a pressure gauge this afternoon and see what kind of PSI I am getting. Think I saw some PSI guides earlier in my browsing.

Someone told me there is a filter (not the air filter coming from air intake) but one that water flows through for compressor that can get clogged. i however have not been able to locate this. Does anyone know where that filter is?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Inspection of the compressor, testing to determine if the bearings are damaged, and air/fuel pressure tests are often used to determine if there is a problem in the air compressor (or perhaps some other portion of the fuel delivery system).

IF the compressor is determined to be bad (despite the "level" of the failure)- it is VERY wise to have the rails, injectors, and direct injectors Professionally validated and serviced BEFORE RUNNING THE ENGINE AGAIN.

INTEGRITY Injection

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLFisherman99 View Post
    Someone told me there is a filter (not the air filter coming from air intake) but one that water flows through for compressor that can get clogged. i however have not been able to locate this. Does anyone know where that filter is?
    Check this link for compressor strainer cleaning - http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...50-pro-xs.html

This won't help an already failing, or failed, compressor so be sure to follow Don's advice and confirm your compressor's condition FIRST. I'd certainly check and clean the strainer before running the engine again regardless of the results compressor test.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax