Finding good camping lakeside

The family and I are planning on taking a fishing and camping/fishing vacation trip. We are secretly looking for a retirement place. We have found it to be quite a challenge locating campgrounds on lakes that are not 100$ a night resorts. We have found a few but most don't have a launch, or they say on the lake but no dock to tie off too, no boat trailer parking etc. We are looking in the NC area this year as we live in MD. What sites do you guys use to find campgounds.

Google. Search state parks, campgrounds, etc. and check on the different places with Google. It always helps to type "forum" at the end of a typed question. The links that pop up usually offer up more unbiased information that way.

4. Banned
    We own 1/2000th of a deeded member owned campground about 100 miles NE of downtown Atlanta--UnicoiSprings.com People don't realize that this area has very large mountains, and the Appalachian Trail is on the mountain above our campground @ 4500' elevation.

We pay $375 per year, and it gives us a campsite at no cost 14 days per month March 1 until December 31st. The memberships are now a very reasonable $3500 which includes the first year's dues. Our facilities are almost 300 campsites, cable tv, two pools (1 heated), tennis courts, commercial kitchen and a huge lodge with a 40' tall fireplace.

Our fifth wheel trailer is left in storage @ $32.50 per month. Whenever we're camping, the campground moves our trailer onsite and back into storage. Many members don't even own a tow vehicle. Many owners store their golf carts on site.

A number of owners own two memberships, and they move their trailers to different campsites every 14 days. It's hard to beat a total living cost of $750 for 10 months of the year. January and February, some members go down to Florida. Some just move 5 miles to a private owned campground for the 2 winter months.

Lake Lanier is 25 miles south, and the area has mountain streams with trout between 10-12 pounds. We're 25 miles from Lake Nottley and Chatuge Lake--and 15 miles from Lake Burton.

It's just hard to beat this arrangement for those that are retiring and looking for a change of scenery with 4 distinct seasons of the year. We've been members for 20 years, and just adore the area--65 minutes from the edge of Atlanta.

5. Member
    try hyco lake , beautifull place and a fun camp ground , if you have a golf cart only down side is you have to have a handicap card
    1999 sprint 207 pro
    2000 mercury efi
    woo tungsten
    Taylormans custom lures
    MC pro nation jerseys

6. Member
    check out recreation.gov

7. Member
    Look for Core of Engineer Parks.
    2013 Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Optimax Pro XS
    HB 998c HD SI Comb at bow
    HB 598 HD SI at console
    12' Talon
    2005 Chevy 3500 Edge Tuner, Banks Exhaust, Airad, etc.
    2015 Lance 1172

How far do you wan to go. Kerr Lake is on the VA/NC boarder and has great fishing. The Kerr Lake State Recreation Area is on Satterwhite point and has several camping options. We camped there this spring. For $25 a night we had a nice level gravel lot with electricity and wate literally steps from the water. We tent camped but the lot was plenty big for a huge RV. The campground was wooded and shady and has a ramp in the campground. Overall a great experience.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

9. Banned
    I go to the North Carolina State Parks. This site allows you check the situation of each State Park all over the state of NC. Several of the North Carolina State Parks are on Kerr Lake (Buggs Island). Thing is that making reservations on these lake is a definite.

10. Member
    We have done Kerr several times, and your are right reservation are a must. Our trailer is 33ft and very few VA state parks accommodate our size RV. Another issue always seems to be Boat parking/Power to charge batteries. Thanks for al the inputs. We were actually looking at Hyco, this year good to hear it received a good review. I say an interview a year or two back with Randall Tharp and his wife on the camping while he is on tour, and how she keeps a "Diary" of the campgrounds around the tour stops, I would love to get a peak at that notebook. I am sure the Howells, and Chapmans have something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    We have done Kerr several times, and your are right reservation are a must. Our trailer is 33ft and very few VA state parks accommodate our size RV. Another issue always seems to be Boat parking/Power to charge batteries. Thanks for al the inputs. We were actually looking at Hyco, this year good to hear it received a good review. I say an interview a year or two back with Randall Tharp and his wife on the camping while he is on tour, and how she keeps a "Diary" of the campgrounds around the tour stops, I would love to get a peak at that notebook. I am sure the Howells, and Chapmans have something similar.
    I stayed at the JC Cooper campground and there was plenty of room for you trailer and like I said, it had power to charge the boat. Getting a boat AND and RV in one spot might be a challenge but leaving the boat in the water might be an option. Some of the site are close enough for an extension cord to reach the water.

I just read an article on bassmaster.com about David Walkers favorite camping and fishing destinations. My top five fishing and camping destinations | Bassmaster
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

If you are willing to drive a little more south, South Carolina has some great state parks, many on some really great lakes. Most state parks are about $22/night. Santee-Cooper has a lot of private campgrounds, many do not show up on generic searches. If you want more specific info, send me a PM

http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...r/default.aspx
    Last edited by TightLip; 06-18-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    "I see dead people"