Directv setup ??

When we camp, we are not ones to sit around inside unless the weather is bad. This week is one of those times. I have directv at home. To bring my home receiver with me, what kind of setup do I need? Looking for something simple to setup but doesn't break the bank either
    "I see dead people"

I'm the same way with Dish. I've been to the local RV stores and also online with Dish. As much as the "tailgater" would be easy to setup, I'm probably going to use the tripod mount dish. About 1/3 the price. You might check Directv website also.

3. Member
    I have done the tripod and in most cases in wooded campground had a tough time with the sat locating and now that they are HD it is even more difficult. My next step will be the tailgater if we choose to bring along Satallite. If you can wait you can get good deal at RV shows. You will want to check your existing receivers and make sure it a compatible as all receivers are not and that may influence your wants vs needs. As we are not using either now, we find the HD free TV is pretty good, We all look forward to ME TV while camping. My daughter is now even a Cisco Kid fan. Kinda cute walking around muttering :"Ah Poncho"

We usually do the free tv. However, this week we get three channels, all ETV and not very well at that. This is the first time we have ever felt the need for anything more. Thanks for the suggestions
    "I see dead people"

The areas where we like to camp we're lucky to have 1 channel of free tv

The tailgator for sure!! You can find them on craigslist as well. They work awesome and EASY!
    BUT, if you have bad weather, your signal could be diminished with heavy cloud cover.

7. Member
    i have direct tv as well and i do the tripod with a dish my neighbor gave me i call direct and they sent a hd box for free and its only $5.00 a month more, never had a prob finding the signal i have satfinder app on my phone, ... i wish direct would get something like the tailgater though makes life that much easier
    1999 sprint 207 pro
    2000 mercury efi
    woo tungsten
    Taylormans custom lures
    MC pro nation jerseys

8. Banned
    Just bought my used camper a few weeks ago and at present am storing the camper at Kerr Lake, NC rather than trailering around to various lakes and campgrounds. Right now I only can receive free broadcast TV and that can be a concern sometimes. I do not have either Direct TV or Dish Network at home. The ability to get a satellite signal at home is the reason we have Time Warner Cable. Would rather have Direct TV. My question about this concern is can I gain Direct TV service?

9. Member
    you can call direct tv dan and they will hook you up, only thing you will need to buy is a tripod like the one you seen me with
    1999 sprint 207 pro
    2000 mercury efi
    woo tungsten
    Taylormans custom lures
    MC pro nation jerseys

10. Banned
    I called Direct and they gave me a number to winegard to call but they are closed on weekends so I will contact when I get closer to getting the camper set and used

Pick you up an 18" direct tv dish, then build this mount. Works like a charm. Attachment 183497
    I had a tripod and it was heck to set up, and always getting blown over. It takes me about 2 minutes with this one to get 95% signal. Cheap and use your Direct TV receiver.
    Last edited by GWDawg1; 06-21-2015 at 06:59 AM.
    ジェラルドの天候
    2021 Ranger 188P 115 Merc CT
    SWMBO ProStaff

Here's a link with instructions

sat
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff

Quote Originally Posted by GWDawg1 View Post
    Pick you up an 18" direct tv dish, then build this mount. Works like a charm. Attachment 183497
    I had a tripod and it was heck to set up, and always getting blown over. It takes me about 2 minutes with this one to get 95% signal. Cheap and use your Direct TV receiver.
    When building yours, did you use 1" PVC and did you use a larger riser?

After some research, I need a dish compatible with a HR-44 receiver - a SWM model
    "I see dead people"

I used 1" pvc. For the riser I used the top of a tripod stand. I'll shoot a pic of mine if you are interested.
    ジェラルドの天候
    SWMBO ProStaff

Actually saw one while camping this weekend. I should've taken some pics but spent more time talking with the guy

16. Banned
    I have Direct TV at home and also have it in my camper. I did use a tripod and had to align every time I went to another lake. I bought a Wineguard G2 for $600. You just set it outside and in minutes you have a signal. I have a cable and a lock on it just to keep people honest.

17. Member
    king quest makes one you can get at camping world for around $499. simple to use about like the tailgater. i used to use the tripod and 18" round dish but always a hassle when windy

What Directv receiver do you have? The no-HD receivers are much easier to setup but the HD boxes are doable. I have an 18" dish on a tripod I take in our camper. It usually takes me 5-10 minutes with an app on my phone and a signal meter on the wire to get it zero'd in. I keep about 150' of cable in the camper so I can run the dish into a clearing for reception. We mostly camp in the fall and winter so we don't have to fight the trees so much when we setup the tv.

I have the latest, the HR-44-700 Genie. After a lot of searching, I ordered a dish tailgater package yesterday. I will let you know how well it works. Supposed to be here monday
    "I see dead people"

20. Member
    Wife and I have the Tailgator for Dish..use the home receiver..works great..recommend 5