Banned

Looking for a Good Brand Camper Tires

My camper is a 2009 Rockwood Camper Trailer and I am looking for 4 New Tires size ST205/75R/15. I will also need a good spare tire but will use the better of the existing 4 tires now on the camper. I have the camper at Henderson , NC and do have a tire dealer selected to do the new tire installation. I mainly would like to know a good brand and is 8 ply tires a good selection. Only brands I know of are, Marathon, Carlyle, and Hercules. I have been given a real broad estimate of between 80-95 dollars/each. Any other suggestions or recomendations

Check the load rating and go up two! I've owned everything from small bumper pulls to a Freightliner truck conversion and I'm telling you, GO UP! Your rig will weigh much more than what the mfg has for the total weight of your rig with it loaded. Plus the holding tanks. DO NOT SPARE ANY $$ when buying good tires. You will wish you did if you have a blow out. Also, check your tire pressure every time you go and follow the tire MFG recommendations.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmike59 View Post
    Check the load rating and go up two! I've owned everything from small bumper pulls to a Freightliner truck conversion and I'm telling you, GO UP! Your rig will weigh much more than what the mfg has for the total weight of your rig with it loaded. Plus the holding tanks. DO NOT SPARE ANY $$ when buying good tires. You will wish you did if you have a blow out. Also, check your tire pressure every time you go and follow the tire MFG recommendations.
    The GVWR is 8079lbs, I was adding up to 9060lbs GVWR. I won't be trailering this camper a lot. I have it stored near where I Bass fish mostly and will have it there for probably a year. At a point after I get new tires I then will consider trailering from Kerr Lake in Northern, NC/ Southern Virginia to the Wateree, Lake South of Charlotte, NC.

4. Banned
    Really good tires in 15" sizes are difficult to find for travel trailers and RV's.

But the Maxxis M8008's are the best ST's--and they're not Chinese will pop tires. The 205 15" tires are about $107 each at Amazon.com with free shipping and no sales taxes.

5. Banned
    Thanks Bamaman. I have been searching for those close to where the camper is in storage and just can not find them and believe it or not if I get them online I can not find someone to mount them on wheels and then install them on the camper without paying an arm and a leg. Have you an idea about the Hi- Run Travel Trailer tires? That is what is on the camper now!

6. Banned
    Tires are not tires when it comes to Special Trailer (ST) tires. North American tire makers have chosen to pass the whole retail market to the Chinese, and the Far East tires are simply dismal in quality. Even the Goodyear Marathon tire is Chinese junk. The rest are no name tires you've never heard of.

Every RV owner should be able to jack up one side of a travel trailer, set jack stands (for safety) and remove both tires. Tires are mounted and balanced for $12.50 each at virtually any tire store. Then go to the other side. It might require two trips to the tire store, however it's doable.

7. Banned
    Yes Sir will just do the check out review thing of the Maxxis M8008 tires. I can do the mounting thing if need be. Thanks again.

Maxxis 8008's! First thing I did when I got the new 5th wheel was to replace the "May Pops"...

Have run Maxxis now on two different rigs and have been extremely happy with them.

9. Member
    Speedtrap: Please get rid of those HI Run tires as I recently put a brand new set of those on a big fifth wheel camper and one blew out on the very first trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Really good tires in 15" sizes are difficult to find for travel trailers and RV's.

But the Maxxis M8008's are the best ST's--and they're not Chinese will pop tires. The 205 15" tires are about $107 each at Amazon.com with free shipping and no sales taxes.
    Go with the Maxxis. From everything I read they are the best going at this time. So many problems with blowouts with many of the others
    "I see dead people"

11. Banned
    Thanks Guys. Got Hi-Run tires canceled and found the Maxxis tires located and sold right near the house. They are not cheap but the quality is the best according to several owners of travel trailers.

I put a new set on my ultra light last year, it had the original set of Good Year Marathons on it and they had dry rotted. My dealer recommended Westlake's I forget the tire size but they were 15" Load Range C tires. My 28ft Travel Trailer weighs 3900# empty and around 5500# loaded. So far no issues with them, I've towed the camper around 1500 miles since I had them installed.

13. Banned
    Thanks guys I got the Maxxis tires. Now I will be able to tow an hopefully be at ease.

14. Member
    I haven't heard anything but good about the maxxis tires

15. Banned
    I got these Maxxis at Hall Tire and they got them on the wheels in no time. I took them to the travel trailer and put them on now I am ready to go camping when this hot weather cools a bunch.