Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone else still like to tent camp?

I've had several campers all the way up to a 32 foot fifth wheel with triple slides but I still like to pitch a tent and rough it. Does anyone else still use a tent?

We used to. Bought a 10x20 three room after our cabin style finally bit the dust. Then we used the big tent twice. That was 12 yrs ago. Still have it though

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've spent a lot of nights in a tent. Currently have a Kodiak Canvas. Sleep better in a tent than anyplace. 2 or 3 weeks a year I'm in the tent.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I have a one man tent my son brought back from the sand pit. I throw it on the back of the bike and hit the road for a long weekend. I love it because it rolls up small and compact.

5. Member
    The price of RV and tent's, I still camp like the cowboys , i just don't have a saddler .
    I seen some nice one's last week at the lake .

I've thought about building a small fire and just laying next to it before. All I have to do is reach over and throw another log on when the fire goes down.

I got rid of my camper a few years ago and just bought a teepee from Cabelas. 10x 10. It's great but definitely takes two to put it up. I tried by myself a few weeks ago and my buddies just sat there and watched me and laughed, then finally came and helped me out.
    It held up very well in a storm.

I have a 32' bumper pull camper with 2 slides but I'll be selling it and will go back to tent camping. I grew up tent camping and it's just not the same with the camper. The camper also needs a LOT more maintenance and upkeep than a tent. To me, it's not really worth it to have to deal with all of that just to have a place to sleep while camping. Now, if I wanted to go camping when it's hot out, that's another story. But I don't.

9. Member
    Every winter I go on a two nighter. Peaceful does not begin to describe it. If the kids go with me I tent camp in the summer. If alone I go primitive. I take roughly what I can fit in my pack. Little more, but not much.
    IMAG0558.jpgcampsite a couple winters ago

IMAG0574.jpgview from my bed of sticks and logs
    IMAG0594.jpg temp the last morning

I bought a Cabelas Alaskan Guide dome tent last year and it is really nice.

11. Banned
    We have a campground membership, and our tent campers have water, power and cable tv. Really roughing it.

We are in an air conditioned 37' fifth wheel trailer with three flat screen televisions.

I enjoyed it a couple of months ago. To hot for it now though.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

13. Member
    I just got back from a seven day trip in Canada, We load up all of our supplies on our boats and head out 4.5 miles and rough it on an island. Tents have came a long way and we put an additional tarp over the top to keep the rain away. I would say that it is not so much the tent but an air mattress i went cheap and my buddies have some nice ones and it makes all the difference in the world.

14. Member
    what do you think of NorthFace Summit series base camp, 8 person costing around $5k? that is unreal for a tent, have a friend that has one. 4 season tent, doublewall construction. what would you pay for one?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    what do you think of NorthFace Summit series base camp, 8 person costing around $5k? that is unreal for a tent, have a friend that has one. 4 season tent, doublewall construction. what would you pay for one?
    I've never seen one in person but I'm sure they are awesome. Mountain hardwear makes some that are like that too. Very expensive but nice

16. Member
    Spring and fall .. Nothing like it !

Me and my family tent camp quite a bit. I usually camp for a week in May on Jordan Lake practicing for a tourney, then we go 4-5 times through the summer for quick weekend trips to Phillpott Lake in Virginia (I love that little lake!). We had talked about getting a pop up camper instead of a tent, but that would require two trips to the area since we have the boat with us and only 1 tow vehicle. Me personally I love camping out in a tent and cooking on a coleman stove, theres nothing like it!
    Mike Wilkerson

2004 Triton TR20X Mercury 225 Optimax

18. Member
    loved it when we did tent thing..but alas, Mama found a fifth wheel and, well no going back now..age and all..

Quote Originally Posted by ramboc View Post
    I've had several campers all the way up to a 32 foot fifth wheel with triple slides but I still like to pitch a tent and rough it. Does anyone else still use a tent?
    I've gotten too old or maybe the ground has got harder. I know for sure it is harder to get up off the ground

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    I've gotten too old or maybe the ground has got harder. I know for sure it is harder to get up off the ground
    Yea, I'm with you on that one. I go for a week with a bunch of buddies every fall. I have a tent tall enough to stand up in and I have a cot I sleep on. I gave up sleeping on the ground about 20 years ago. Still enjoy tent camping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast