Looking for info

Just starting my search. Will be taking some long cross country trips across America, Canada and up the ALCAN highway to and around Alaska. Will crisscross both countries several times. These will be mostly sight seeing trips and won't be stopping very long in any one place.

Thought about towing a camper or getting a self contained motor home but both seem to me to be bulky and could be a broblem when navigating cities.
    and the like.

I am tending towards buying a new F-250 super duty extended cab with an 8 foot bed capable of carrying a truck camper. As a matter of fact I will be taking my first look at truck campers today. Had one twenty plus years ago but really just used it fixed on land by a lake...never really traveled with it except for a couple of overnights. The camper would need air, heat, shower, refrig, sink, stove, microwave basically all the comforts of home.

Any input as to the truck, truck engine and gearing, stylem make and model of camper I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

"Let's raise up our glasses against evil forces......Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses" - Toby Keith

The F-250 can handle about anything you want to pull. There are a ton of camper brands out but a ton of brands are made under the same roof. They just have different floor plans. I love the look and design of Livin Lite but have never seen one in person.

3. Banned
    A couple of sugestions. A 4 season is a must. All compartmnts will be heated. 50 AMP AND 2air condioners is a must. A generator is a plus.

4. Member
    Ive been interested also in truck camper. Newer quailty campers are pretty heavy once loaded with neccessaties so make sure you have plenty of truck to handle the load. A lot of good info on rv.net in the truck camper forum. Read up on weights and possible upgrades (airbags or stable loads and tires) to make sure you get enough truck.

5. Banned
    I understand why you want a truck camper, but the newer smaller 5th wheels are a breeze to pull. Turning radius and such isn't much of a problem compared to a bumper hitch. With a truck camper as mentioned, you need to allow for the weight of the camper and your items packed, and that is going to be a lot of weight. It also can cause top-heavy issues due to the higher center of gravity. Also, if you want to go to town or sightseeing, you need to take the whole unit as opposed to just the tow vehicle. A 5th wheel can also tow a boat from the trailer, and many, many campgrounds have pull through sites just for this if you want to take the boat, too. In order to launch or take the boat out with a truck camper, you either do it once or need to pack up the camper to go do it. We had a Class 3 MH, and for closer trips, I pulled the boat with the pickup so we had a vehicle to run out in or move the boat. Food for thought.

The best thing to do is look online, then go look in person. Most of the manufacturers have similar floor plans and such, and they also provide info regarding the truck and carrying capacity. In the world of towing, too much can never be enough. I would definitely look for the camper first then the tow rig to make sure you got enough truck and load carrying for the slide in unit.

Jayco, Forest River family of brands, Keystone family, etc. all make good units and are all online to research. Elkhart, IN is the RV capital of the universe, and you can pretty much see and look at all of them there. You could spend a month there and not see all of them.

The F-250 will handle it, and provide a comfortable ride to boot. Just a suggestion, but if you're going new on the truck, shop used on a camper. Whether you go with a bumper pull or a fifth wheel, there are plenty of good, clean used ones on the market. Let the individual doing the selling take most of the lump on the depreciation. As far as a truck camper, I'd go with a pull camper of some sort. Once you get to where you're going, you could unhook and have the ability to go sightseeing, go into town, etc. without having the bulk of a camper to tote around while you're out and about.

check out truckcampermagazine.com they have reviews on truck campers also info on matching camper to truck, if you go with truck camper check out ones with slide outs

2009 ELITE 210

8. Member
    With an F250 I would look at the smaller 5th wheels. Lots of the smaller ones (and they are not really small) are built shorter so height is not an issue, you can turn real good and for sight seeing trips you can set up camp in an area and use the truck to go in several different directions for day trips without moving the RV. An F250 will do a great job on the smaller 5th wheels with lighter tongue weight. If you are not comfortable towing at the start, plan to bypass cities for a week or so. If your rig is set up right for towing after a week or so you will feel confident enough to pull it anywhere. There is also a gps for rv's that plan your trip around the height of your trailer, i think it can be programmed to only route right turns and other options to make it easier. I never used it but it seems neat if you are going new places all the time.

I have an F250 with the 6.7 Powerstroke. It is beast. I pull a 26 ft, 7500 pound travel trailer with no strain on the truck. I get about 11 mpg with the bumper pull trailer, and 17-18 unloaded.
    ジェラルドの天候
    2021 Ranger 188P 115 Merc CT
    SWMBO ProStaff

10. Member
    Airstream. Best towing trailer on the market. Solid construction, roof doesn't leak. Hold their value better than most.

11. Member
    I know someone with a low mileage diesel pusher if you're interested? I believe it's an 02-03 with a little over 42,000 miles.

Gary
    Good friend of mine is selling a 2010 model of this one.http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Keyston...p2054897.l4275 It is immaculate. It's also a polar package.(cold weather capable)
    Wife wants 15K Don't know if it's negotiable. Can be seen in Ludlow easy to get to off Rte 291
    Let me know I can hook you guys up

Joe
    Last edited by JoeLBLMRT; 06-18-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Original Member Of The Low Bucks Last Minute Race Team

Da Toad Prepare for Sticker Shock!you can buy a Travel Trailer for less than a New Slide In In Reality you could buy a new Cadillac ,eat at restaurant's and stay in motels cheaper. *
    In 1983 Bought a 33' Holiday Rambler Imperial MH had all the bells n whistles and a 454 cubic inch chevy... Loved that MH.. 6mpg . Ok traveling but KOA avg $50 a night. Not too many Federal & State or Army Corp of Engineer Campgrounds have many spots to Handle Long Rigs.. And having the Golden Access Pass and Army Corps Yearly Pass helped cut cost when used. And never stayed at or used the Good Sam Club campgrounds.. even though had they're membership card etc. That being said A Truck and slide in are versatile, My Dad had a friend that had one in Colorado. He went to Alaska way back in the late 60's gravel roads, had the skid plates etc. Mods done to save oil pan from gravel etc. Pulled an army surplus trailer to carry gas and extra wheels and tires etc. Stayed out about 2 months Spent a lot of $. This was just before the 1st pipe line was started.. He had a Dump Truck business and was scouting the prospects while there to work his trucks and crew for that job.. Which later he did, and lost one Truck to a Moose Attack when his driver Blew the air horn. that 51B model Mack truck looked like hit by a train..he had 15 matched units lolo.. But I'm sure there is a lot of improvement on the Roads in AK now. Just remember the Height and watch for tree limbs * recall the 1st comment of hotels and restaurant's cheaper?? well answer is wife.. she baked some pop biscuit cinnamon/orange rolls in oven, brewed coffee, and plenty of drinks and snacks on hand.. But the regular cooking part?? she said on Vacation and I'm not cooking!

Below is a you tube video of a guy who lives in a truck camper.

I personally do not have experience with truck campers, but have heard from several that a dually makes traveling a lot better. From a practical point, a truck camper would be the way to go. You only have one vehicle to keep up, You can drop the camper on a campsite and site see without the bulk. Plus, you can tow with truck camper. You will most likely want a full four season camper like Arctic Fox, Lance, and others. The downside to a four season unit is they are usually heavier, thus requiring more truck. Again, think F-350 dually.
    "I see dead people"

If you get a fully equiped truck camper and want to pull a boat, you need a 1 ton dually. I have a one slide camper, some have two or three slides, and I am over weight with a dually. If you go with a pull behind a 3/4 ton will pull most anything you want to pull. I like the truck camper as I can take the boat, unload camper and have something to do sightseeing in and also load and unload boat. You can't pull a boat with a pull behind and unless you pull a second vehicle with a motor home you have to break camp anytime you want to go sightseeing, go to the store for supplies, or unload or load boat. I have less than 70K in a new truck and camper. My truck camper has everything you might need, full bath, generator, AC, TV, microwave, etc. Just be sure and look at a larger long bed truck camper before you decide. Only thing a truck camper would not be good is if you have more than 3 or 4 people in you family. I think they are the only way to go if you have a boat. Go to RV .net and you will find all kinds of info on all types of campers.
    Last edited by billsnp5; 06-21-2015 at 09:07 AM.

2013 721 Phoenix 250 Optimax Pro XS
    2020 Ram 3500
    2021 Host Cascade Truck Camper