Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Is my 2013 20 xs a lemon?

I bought my 20 xs brand new and since I got the boat it has always reeked of fuel in all compartments. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said it was normal and didn't need to be looked at. In most tournaments I fish I run between a 1/2 tanK and 3/4. Recently I did a 2 day event and the boat was going to be docked for the night so I filled it up to have enough fuel for both days. After I filled it I pulled my drain plug out to check and make sure there was no water in the hull or anything before I dropped it in and pure gas came pouring out. I drained it into a small bucket but there was so much I had to plug it again and find more containers for the fuel. I took it into the dealer after the event and they found a hole in the top 1/4 of my tank that has been there since I purchased the boat. Now I'm told my boat has to be sent back to triton to have the top cap removed and a new tank put in which puts me without a boat for roughly 12 weeks or so. Has anyone had a similar problem like this? This boat must have been built on a Friday afternoon or skipped the q/c process. Not only is my gas tank no good there are a lot of little things that are of poor quality on this boat. My decals on the back of the seats are peeling off and look terrible, I have cracks behind the seats, the rod tube divider plate is cracked in half and I haven't run any real rough water, starboard side rod locker is very tough to open......the list goes on. Are these "normal" issues or do I have a lemon of a boat? I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed with my purchase at this point. I have tournaments scheduled all summer and right through to the fall and I'm not going to have a boat now. Also how good can it be to have gas sloshing around in the hull of the boat? It is dangerous. Gas is very corrosive as well so how is the integrity of the hull. I'm sure it is protected with some kind of coating but who knows. I really hope triton takes care of this properly and helps me out.

2. Banned
    I'm sure with it going back to triton it will get looked over a few times. Most the things you mentioned are not normal for the most part. The rod tube divider could break but you say you haven't beat the boat around too bad. The stickers on the back of my seats ('13 18xs) are peeling off too and look bad. I tried to put them back on with spray 3M adhesive but it's peeling off again. I would be sure triton looks at why the rod locker is difficult to open as that isn't normal either. Keep us up to date please. Sorry for all the troubles

3. Member
    I tried an adhesive on the seat decals as well and it didn't work either. The tech that checked my boat over yesterday found the hole with a small camera because there is absolutely no way to get at that spot on the tank otherwise I could probably find a way to temporarily patch or plug it and then send it back over the winter. Our bass season is only about 5 months long so at least 3 months of it I would be with out a boat. I will update when I get an email back from triton.

4. Member
    The down side to fuel tanks mounted in the floor with no hatch to remove.

5. Member
    We're Triton fans here and wave their flag but at the end of the day it is our dollar we spend on these expensive rigs so we have the final day no matter what. You bought it, you're paying for it, you're the boss.

Fuel in the bilge is an extreme hazard, an explosion on hold is all that is, a huge liability in my mind for someone not doing their job at the plant.

Things happen but some of your issues should also not be happening. If you are the original owner, I would think most of it falls under both hull and accessory warranty.

Personally, I would not be belligerent about it but I would be clear in my dissatisfaction. A properly written list of issues provided ahead of time and with the boat being returned would be in order. They should let you know what they'll repair etc.

Since the gas issue is an extreme danger to you and the rig both AND since it was a total miss on their part I'd be looking for something during the time the boat is away. Triton and your dealer should try to work out a loaner to be honest. Not a 21 footer but a 17 with 115 is better than no boat. Again, I would never ask for this but since they produced the problem and they have to fix it now that they know about it, you lose your fishing season so for that reason, I would indeed be looking for something above a regular fix. I know my local dealer would loan out a used rig for something like this. Not your dealers fault but they should be able to impress the importance to Triton and make a suitable arrangement.

Good luck, hope you stay fishing.

6. Member
    i would think triton would make it right, gas in the bilge and an automatic bilge pump spell BOOM,
    i would think maybe triton would offer you a new hull at a fair deal

7. Member
    The gasoline will not harm your fiberglass hull. Gas station underground fuel tanks are built out of fiberglass.

8. Member

USA

If it came from the Triton factory with a hole in the fuel tank, I would think they would certainly fix it. If not, then it is lawyer time. But I don't think it would come to that. The few problems that I have had, Triton took care of.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorp View Post
    I bought my 20 xs brand new and since I got the boat it has always reeked of fuel in all compartments. I mentioned it to my dealer and he said it was normal and didn't need to be looked at. In most tournaments I fish I run between a 1/2 tanK and 3/4. Recently I did a 2 day event and the boat was going to be docked for the night so I filled it up to have enough fuel for both days. After I filled it I pulled my drain plug out to check and make sure there was no water in the hull or anything before I dropped it in and pure gas came pouring out. I drained it into a small bucket but there was so much I had to plug it again and find more containers for the fuel. I took it into the dealer after the event and they found a hole in the top 1/4 of my tank that has been there since I purchased the boat. Now I'm told my boat has to be sent back to triton to have the top cap removed and a new tank put in which puts me without a boat for roughly 12 weeks or so. Has anyone had a similar problem like this? This boat must have been built on a Friday afternoon or skipped the q/c process. Not only is my gas tank no good there are a lot of little things that are of poor quality on this boat. My decals on the back of the seats are peeling off and look terrible, I have cracks behind the seats, the rod tube divider plate is cracked in half and I haven't run any real rough water, starboard side rod locker is very tough to open......the list goes on. Are these "normal" issues or do I have a lemon of a boat? I'm pretty frustrated and disappointed with my purchase at this point. I have tournaments scheduled all summer and right through to the fall and I'm not going to have a boat now. Also how good can it be to have gas sloshing around in the hull of the boat? It is dangerous. Gas is very corrosive as well so how is the integrity of the hull. I'm sure it is protected with some kind of coating but who knows. I really hope triton takes care of this properly and helps me out.
    Is your toon garage kept?

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    If it came from the Triton factory with a hoto le in the fuel tank, I would think they would certainly fix it. If not, then it is lawyer time. But I don't think it would come to that. The few problems that I have had, Triton took care of.
    + 1. Triton did not give me any grief at all and i had some expensive issues.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

11. Member
    They took care of my gei coat issues for me . They will take care of it.

12. Member
    I asked the dealer about a possible loaner boat and I was told " no they don't just give out loaner boats". The boat is kept and stored in a garage. I still haven't heard anything back about it. I'm sure triton will take care of the issue, how ever it is the time with out the boat that is the killer. To me just fixing the problem isn't enough to satisfy me. The dealer is really not helping the situation he doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. I'm also losing my last season under the full triton gold contingency plan which I just paid for a month ago. I'm not here to bash tritons or anything like that I know lots of triton owners who have had no similar issues and love their rigs. It's my way of venting a bit I guess and letting others know about these issues. Thanks for your input and opinions.

I ran Tritons for years with no issues at all....like you say it's not about bashing. You paid for a new boat, Triton Gold (if that's what it's still called) and your gonna be without a boat for who knows how long ?? I'd be pissed too and would want some sorta boat to use and if I won out of it I'd want the Triton money. Those 2 things are the least you should get !!!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

14. Member
    If my dealer was still a Triton dealer I can guarantee you he would put me in a nice boat to fish out of, unless it was unsafe to run the boat I would keep fishing and let them have it for the winter.

15. Member
    As mentioned above I think the automatic bilge is a real danger

16. Member
    When you initially told him of the gas smell ,Did he check it out or just blow you off and say that's normal?

Quote Originally Posted by thorp View Post
    As mentioned above I think the automatic bilge is a real danger

I agree. One spark and... well you know.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I agree. One spark and... well you know.
    Triton has had some problems with gas fumes in a few of their models, you would think they would have recalled every boat if they thought an electric spark could blow the boat up, as far as them finding the hole, is there anyway they could plug it so you could use the boat through tourney season ?

19. Member
    You can't get to it to plug it. They started putting the fuel tank under the floor to improve the hole shot that was lacking. They improved the hole shot, but now the boat loses top end speed with the tank full, and if you have a tank issue, you have to cut the floor and glass it back, or take the deck off to service it.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    You can't get to it to plug it. They started putting the fuel tank under the floor to improve the hole shot that was lacking. They improved the hole shot, but now the boat loses top end speed with the tank full, and if you have a tank issue, you have to cut the floor and glass it back, or take the deck off to service it.
    I gotcha, ​ guess it is pretty hard to put a 50 plus gallon tank in a bass boat and still have easy access to it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast