Iron Butt Association Member... anyone else?

It's not as hard as you think to become a member. Minimum requirement is to ride your motorcycle 1000 miles within a 24 hour period. You must provide all gas receipts and have witnesses at start and finish.
    Check out the IBA website for the different kind of rides. Personally, I was very intrigued with the 50CC and couldn't wrap my head around how it could be done. 50CC stands for Coast to Coast in under 50 hours.
    On my first attempt, I did it in 47hrs. 46min. Goal was to do it in less than 2 days. Made it with 14 minutes to spare. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but I think it was a worthy achievement and am proud of it.
    BTW, my first 1000 miles was accomplished in the first 14 hours. Not as hard as one would think.... but you must be motivated. Thanks for reading!

I don't like riding in a car for 1000 mi. Much less a scooter.
    Alan
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

card carrying member here......

4. Member
    My brother-in-law does at least 2 of them a year, not sure if I'm ready to make that kind of commitment yet.

5. Member
    I did a little over 600 miles ( gatlinburg, tn to orlando) and that was enough for me and the wife. ( she had no choice she was on the rear seat )

Great accomplishment, you should be proud of yourself.

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Buddy of mine and his wife (who is a novice rider) did it last week on a pair of ultra classics. I've done it several times as well. It's nothing that can't be done fairly easily. With bikes as nice and smooth as they are these days they need to just name it the 1k club and drop the iron butt part of it.

8. Member
    I did the loop around lake michigan twice. Never filled out the paperwork but still have it plus my receipts. Didnt really care after having done it. My wife did almost 700 on the back of our road king. Those were my 3 longest rides. Had a baby..... Rode 400 miles total the last 2 years. And i have more than 1 bike! Ridden off road more than on road this year....

My back couldn't withstand it much less my butt.. Sounds interesting though!
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

That kind of riding is just not fun to me.....I like to cruise easy and stop often......I guess I qualify though having done El Paso to Atlanta in less than 24 hours on my FLHTK.....not by choice...I had to be somewhere......it wasn't fun.....

11. Member
    Wife and I just road 3500 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. Does that count?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Wife and I just road 3500 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. Does that count?
    If you two did 1000 miles within a 24 hr. period... that'll qualify. Sounds like a nice ride. Hope the weather was cooperative.
    1992 Ranger 481v • Yamaha ProV 150 • Lowrance HDS9 Live HDS12 Live X2 • Lowrance Ghost • Balzout Mounts • Lowrance AT1

13. Member
    Isn't that the one that after you do it, you then have to pay a fee to be registered to get recognition?

Some years back I did a 750 mile ride, just because, but it was not something I would want to do all the time. Now with my back and hips the way they are if I can stand to do a 100 it's a good day.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish92084 View Post
    If you two did 1000 miles within a 24 hr. period... that'll qualify. Sounds like a nice ride. Hope the weather was cooperative.
    Weather was awesome. Only road about 300 miles in the rain. The rest was sunny and clear.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Isn't that the one that after you do it, you then have to pay a fee to be registered to get recognition?
    yes, everything must be documented and proven and submitted. and you also need to pay for the certificate and goodies. I really wanted that "Worlds toughest Riders" license plate frame. Being that I earned it, I display it proudly.

BTW, one only submits for the certificate after he / she has successfully accomplished the ride. This takes all the pressure off the rider.
    1992 Ranger 481v • Yamaha ProV 150 • Lowrance HDS9 Live HDS12 Live X2 • Lowrance Ghost • Balzout Mounts • Lowrance AT1

16. Member
    Silver, Gold, and Platinum here ... I've done 21 of them. My wife has done 11, on her own bike.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

was JUST on their website today looking at the rules and guidelines. I'd love to do one. If you have a passenger do you both qualify ?

Scooter: Nov 1998-Jul 2011
    Otis: Oct 2010-Feb 2017

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    was JUST on their website today looking at the rules and guidelines. I'd love to do one. If you have a passenger do you both qualify ?
    Great question. My first thought was sure you both would qualify.... but I would think that the IBA would not want the two people sharing the controls. The rules are pretty strict and I know they require a very detailed submission of gas receipts and signed witnesses. I also think it would be much tougher on the back seat person since they are not engaged as much and could nod off quite easily. Let me know if you find out the pillion qualifies?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Silver, Gold, and Platinum here ... I've done 21 of them. My wife has done 11, on her own bike.
    you guys are hard core. Nice accomplishments. Ride well.

20. Member
    Yep, IBA member here.
    Part of the hard part is the paperwork. The Iron Butt is all about safety & clear thinking under challenging situations.
    Warhawk humbles me. Nice job to you & your wife.
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp