Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Banned
    The key is to let your livewell dry. When I can and my boat is docked or parked outside on a nice warm sunny day I will open up the lids empty the wells and let them dry. White vinegar solution in spray bottle, spray down the well and let the vinegar sit for 15 min. Spray down again as you wide with the cloth. Rinse with hose or lake water. Safe, friendly and works.

reelman do you use that hydrogen peroxide in the well with the fish? Sounds like that is what you mean, and I have never heard that, but I assume that neutralizes ammonia, just never heard of it??

3. Member
    Hydrogen peroxide is h2o2 and when mixed with water it will increase oxygen level. I've never used it in a livewell but have often added it to the water in my minnow cooler when crappie fishing.

4. Member
    Shop Vac works well.....I fish shallow ALOT!!!!!!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix623 View Post
    I found out the hard way that you will lose allot more fish, if you don't clean your wells... I had about a 3 week time lapse that I had fish die on me 1 year, and an old "local legend" taught me the trick I use.

1.Fill closed off livewell up, with water hose, until there is a few inches of water in the bottom.
    2. pour 1/2 bottle of distilled white vinegar, 1/2 bottle of hydrogen peroxide, and a few tablespoons of baking soda in the water.
    3. Scrub entire live well with a clean rag sloshing the solution all around .
    4. Open livewell to drain, and rinse well wit clean water.

The vinegar will clean any fungal algae, and it along with the peroxide will disinfect. The baking soda helps eliminate odors.

HOPE THIS HELPS
    I would think adding the baking soda and vinegar together is counter productive, the acidic vinegar will neutralize the alkaline baking soda. Would be much better to do in two different steps.

I spray mine with bleach cleaner and let sit for awhile and then fill with water hose and then drain, spray down with hose and fill and drain. My livewell does not have a recirculating pump.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123