Four Stroke 150 vs Verado 175

Looking for opinions on the two? Looking to buy a Phoenix 618 that has a max 175 rating. Still in the early stages so haven't discussed cost with a dealership yet but I'm assuming the Verado would be significantly more. But if price wasn't an issue, what kind of performance upgrade would I get with a Verado versus the Four Stroke? I've searched and haven't found any threads related to running the smaller Verado or comparing it to the four stroke. From what I can tell, I would get a better hole shot from the Verado because of the super charge and maybe a slightly higher top end speed. Plus it looks cool. The negatives I can see of the Verado is it seems to be a more complex motor so higher maintenance, cost and of course heavier (55lbs). The four stroke seems to be a small simplistic motor that will get the job done but won't really impress anyone lol.

Verado all day long, supercharged power is built to last, 175 hp is better, the DTS shifter would allow either hotfoot or hand throttle with choice to mash a button for either. Maintaining it would be approximately the same cost. The Verado is a few lbs heavier but doubt it would be noticed if same boat floating beside you with 150 Four Stroke. Between the 2 I'd like the Verado 175, also can get the true power steering with it. But the 150 is also a great engine. The Verado is really a awesome setup. Plus fuel cost maybe somewhat better on the Verado.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    Verado all day long, supercharged power is built to last, 175 hp is better, the DTS shifter would allow either hotfoot or hand throttle with choice to mash a button for either. Maintaining it would be approximately the same cost. The Verado is a few lbs heavier but doubt it would be noticed if same boat floating beside you with 150 Four Stroke. Between the 2 I'd like the Verado 175, also can get the true power steering with it. But the 150 is also a great engine. The Verado is really a awesome setup. Plus fuel cost maybe somewhat better on the Verado.
    +1... except that I would expect fuel consumption/costs to be somewhat similar. The Verado uses slightly more fuel at WOT, as it is (afterall) supercharged.

Don't take me wrong- that 150 is an AWESOME engine.

If it were me.... 175 Verado would already be hanging on the back of the boat, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies! Hopefully I can work the price into my budget and go for the Verado.

Looks like the price is around 5k more. Just a quick and dirty Google search. I don't think that includes controls which I think are more for the Verado as well. Not sure if be able to justify that.

Also, would the Verado need to be run on premium gas to reach its full HP potential? If it does and it burns slightly more at WOT then cost of ownership increases further. I'm sure it's good engine it just doesn't seem like reasonable choice for a bass boat.

I keep wondering if Mercury will release a 175 Fourstroke based on the current 150.

To the OP, I know this is the Mercury forum but the 175 SHO is an option as well. More than the Mercury 150 but less than the 175 Verado.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

87 octane only needed. The I-6 Pro models have 2 octane uses. The I-4 uses 87. Pricing is not as much as stated also talk to Don on how it all is setup in a PM. At 4000 or less RPM both are close to same fuel used. WOT the Verado will burn a little more but it will be faster and may not have to run WOT as long. Less time in wide open.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

And if you're rigging out a NEW boat, or complete new rigging, the cost difference may NOT be as much as you might think. Traditional hydraulic steering is perfectly acceptable with the 175 Verado (unlike the I-6 models that require the Verado helm and steering pump setup).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor