spoke to a conservation officer at our last tourney...

Lake Mitchell bass nation had a club tourney last Sunday on Lake Henry. As we were getting off the water the Bon Homme County conservation officer pulls in. He reminds us of the new invasive species rules and about the 5 mile per hour rule on the Lake. He asked if there will be a weigh-in and if we will release all fish. It was a tough day for most of us and He heard we caught a lot of fish between 14 and 15 inches, so he commented about the locals harvesting quite a few bass once they get to 15 inch minimum. He thought it would be nice if it were catch and release only. He was out fishing with the kids earlier this year and he saw an angler from out of town keeping bass over 12 inches and under 15 inches even after he introduced himself. He did not want to make a scene, so he waited to confront him another day and fined him $100. He didn't think the slot limits with the northeast and western South Dakota bass fisheries have would work and did not know exactly what the limits were.
    He wondered if any of us had read the bass tracking study researchers did after a tournament down in Yankton. I guess some of the bass released at the weigh-in site never made it back upstream and some actually washed through the damn and were caught. I tried to look up the study and I came across an article about Pond bass angling pressure and catch ability which mentioned if you want a quality bluegill population you want to protect 8 to 12 inch bass. So if anglers aren't keeping smaller bass below 12 inches and the lakes with the slot limit have quality panfish why not go to more slot limits to protect bass populations in bass fisheries. Our tournaments would have to release a majority of fish where they are caught which is also good for a balanced fishery. If the bass aren't growing well, move some to where needed or take the slot off. I just think the slot could be tried in the southeast part of the state.

2. Member
    Jon, the problem is that bass are not a priority here. Walleyes rule, and nothing else matters Look at the guides on the river, they actively promoting keeping smallmouth. I would guess because they feel that they are competing with walleyes for food.

I know what your saying: slot won't fly on the river because there's not enough interest. But, for example lake Alvin, Marindahl, Menno, Henry, Wilmarth, and Lakota all have protective 15" min and are "bass/panfish lakes" not "Walleye lakes." What the C.O. (a "Musky" angler) suggested was doing more to protect bass and of course I am in favor of this (and surprised to hear this from a SE SD C.O.) I had always thought (was told) the 15" min was the best way to help the panfish population and manage the bass but maybe it's not (example Cochrane, Clear, and Enemy) and they could try something different on an appropriate lake. I am sure this discussion has been had before (please enlighten me those of you who have been through this before), and the main stumbling block has been the small amount of interest in bass fishing. The best way to protect 8-12 inch bass may be indirectly by protecting the bigger spawners.

4. Member
    There seems to be a meat mentality when it comes to fishing here. Success is measured by how long it takes to "limit" This mentality is not species specific.
    I wish we could get more CPR fisherman in the area for SM/LM.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bass57348 View Post
    There seems to be a meat mentality when it comes to fishing here. Success is measured by how long it takes to "limit" This mentality is not species specific.
    I wish we could get more CPR fisherman in the area for SM/LM.
    My thoughts on i&f they're guaging their success by getting a quick 15 inch plus limit of largemouth bass they are probably frustrated too. Why not educate these folks 12 to 14 inch largemouth bass provide great table fare but less mercury and 18+ inch bass are a fun memorable catch that they may harvest one of, so others can also enjoy a memorable catch. Also state the protected slot is experimental for the purpose of potentially improving/sustaining the fishery.

6. Member
    We need more Mercury Notice lakes!

The limit deal is a multi generational thing. It would need to come from the Walleye side as they all believe that bass are trash fish anyway...
    Dave