Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Did you use rubber insulating washers between the charger and the hull? If not, I would add some. Make sure all bolts are stainless steel. Also make sure they are not using the hull as your ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    Any Pressure Treated Wood touching that area on the inside of the Transom? The Chemicals in Pressure Treated Wood react with Aluminum after a period of time and can cause pitting from the Inside-Out.

G3 Boats had a major issue with this back in the late 90's-early 2000's I believe it was.
    Doesnt the issue of pressure treated wood only effect the area of contact? Have never heard or corrosion spreading throughout the hull from it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonva View Post
    Did you use rubber insulating washers between the charger and the hull? If not, I would add some. Make sure all bolts are stainless steel. Also make sure they are not using the hull as your ground.
    How much good can that really do? You are still putting a screw through the mounting holes of the charger into aluminum making a ground.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    How much good can that really do? You are still putting a screw through the mounting holes of the charger into aluminum making a ground.
    A rubber grommet would prevent this

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    You're assuming the stainless screws are contacting a conductive surface on the charger which shouldn't be the case. The mounting holes of the charger aren't metal I would bet.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Doesnt the issue of pressure treated wood only effect the area of contact? Have never heard or corrosion spreading throughout the hull from it.
    That is correct. In the G3 models they had used PT Wood to reinforce the entire transom area (basically a Metal-wood-Metal sandwich) , thus resulting in the whole rear looking like a metal eating woodpecker went to work on it. Some of them were real nasty.

On his model Tracker I didn't know id they had placed any PT wood in that area or not, thus the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye1 View Post
    That is correct. In the G3 models they had used PT Wood to reinforce the entire transom area (basically a Metal-wood-Metal sandwich) , thus resulting in the whole rear looking like a metal eating woodpecker went to work on it. Some of them were real nasty.

On his model Tracker I didn't know id they had placed any PT wood in that area or not, thus the question.
    Gotcha. I can see where that would create issues on the G3 models. As far as the tracker in stock form unless something were added by the owner there is zero wood in the transom.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Does your charger have a metal case?
    No it is plastic but mounted directly to the aluminum in the battery compartment
    2007 TXW 175
    Mercury 60hp 4 stroke
    24v Minnkota maxxum
    Bow lowrance Elite 7 HDI
    Console 1198ci si

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    Gotcha. I can see where that would create issues on the G3 models. As far as the tracker in stock form unless something were added by the owner there is zero wood in the transom.
    So previous owner installed a Minkota Terrova trolling motor, added 1 more battery to make it a 24v and had put on lowrance wiring for the bow fishfinder. I noticed that some of the front deck screws were stripped so someone had pulled it up at one time. I will look into removing the deck to see if there is any stray wires or a faulty ground this weekend.
    2007 TXW 175
    Mercury 60hp 4 stroke
    24v Minnkota maxxum
    Bow lowrance Elite 7 HDI
    Console 1198ci si

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncebitten View Post
    You're assuming the stainless screws are contacting a conductive surface on the charger which shouldn't be the case. The mounting holes of the charger aren't metal I would bet.
    I'm yet to see a charger with a plastic case. And the outboard is grounded to the boat also, no getting around that.

11. Member
    Any update to this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12