60 hp 4 stroke not charging!

2006 60hp ELPT-EFI Serial# 1B269886
    Battery went dead today on water. Switch cables to trolling battery, and cranked up just fine. While running, took positive cable off and motor die. Replaced cable fired right up. I drove to ramp, along the way volt gauge reading 11 volts.no matter the rpm. Usually volts read 12.5 at idle 14 at wot. Trolling battery I used to get to ramp started at 11.5 volts 10 min. ride later at ramp 9 volts. Were do I start. Stator or Regulator. I am charging everything up tonight. To run on muffs later this week. Thanks for any replys.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Battery's are all good fully charged up. So a least its not that.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Banned
    Did you notice if your Tach was off or not reading correctly? To be honest, you need to inspect everything from the flywheel down of ALL your electrical for any signs of scorching/burn marks, off color bobbins on the stator - EVERYTHING. Have all items tested with the correct equipment utilizing the OEM Service Manual (procedures are outlined in it) but if its showing signs - no need to test, replace it or the connections (or both). On that motor you only have one Voltage Regulator BUT don't discount that something else could also be fubared. Visual, followed by testing of other components.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    NEVER disconnect battery with engine running.

If you did not have a bad voltage regulator- it's likely that you do now...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    NEVER disconnect battery with engine running.

If you did not have a bad voltage regulator- it's likely that you do now...
    This I didn't know. I cranked the motor with trolling battery, under the assumption that it was at four and it would keep running without a battery I was going to change wires back to cranking battery but when I disconnected it and motor died. so I guess this I didn't know also.as far as the tach goes its working fine like it always has. I cannot find any bad wires anywhere any connectors burnt nothing that motor looks brand new still.

OK this is today! after charging batteries all night. I cleaned all battery connections and wires replaced everything back to original operation. I hooked the motor up to muffs, turn key to the on position and got the single beep. volt gauge is reading just over 12. I crank the motor up at idle it went up to just below 13 on the voltmeter. at 4000 rpms it would go up to 13 and a half. on both my GPS unit at idle table reading 14.1. at 3000 rpm it would go to 14. 1 and 14. 2. cutting the motor off the GPS units read 12.1. everything seems to be operating as normal with the exception of the voltmeter. not reading 14 but only 13- 13.5 . totally different conditions from yesterday. I'm more confused now than I was.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps the battery was discharged, OR your battery terminal connections were incorrect.

CLEAN terminals, ENGINE CABLES FIRST, remaining lugs Largest to Smallest. Finish off connections with a Stainless Locknut (do NOT use wing-nuts).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

image.jpgWith key offimage.jpgat idleimage.jpgat idle
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I would like a smart craft gauge. But is it worth it on a 60 with no water pressure gauge
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 05-26-2015 at 11:00 AM.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

OK cranking battery did have stainless steel wing nuts on it. Is it a wing nut issue, even though they are stainless steel. Thanks Don!

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Banned
    I've bought one for EACH of the 60's I bought new. Never even fired it up until I had the Mercmonitor installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Dude View Post
    I've bought one for EACH of the 60's I bought new. Never even fired it up until I had the Mercmonitor installed.
    Ok which one. I am interested in tach , Hours, and would love to have water pressure but not sure if that's doable on a 60.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Drop an Email to our Parts Department, including your Engine Serial Number, and Rhonda will be happy to provide you with a list of options, as well as special BBC member pricing:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...cessories.html

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Drop an Email to our Parts Department, including your Engine Serial Number, and Rhonda will be happy to provide you with a list of options, as well as special BBC member pricing:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...cessories.html
    thanks Don

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.