Bad design or bad part?

Mercury 150 HP, 4S (SN# 2B041203) I've been testing different props and after one trip noticed that the Prop Bore Sleeve (23-8M0054695) had broken, or more specifically the plastic tabs that hold it in place had broken off. I ordered 2 more, one for a spare, and tonight went to the river to test another prop. Got home and the tabs broke again. Seems they should hold up better than that. Good news was the prop tested out great. Super good hole shot and good top end with plenty of water pressure. Bit good in the turns and never blew out at all. I AM concerned about the prop bore sleeve since I've been advised to use one. If it only holds up for one time, that will get fairly expensive.

Sorry, meant to put this in the Mercury - 4 Stroke/Verado board.
    Last edited by sjcorpst; 05-22-2015 at 08:47 PM.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

Pictures will help describe what you're talking about... If it's the solid hub with the plastic snubber strips, some 3M weather stripping adhesive will do the trick.
    2017 Ford F-350 Platinum
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP Yamaha 250SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jus10keith View Post
    Pictures will help describe what you're talking about... If it's the solid hub with the plastic snubber strips, some 3M weather stripping adhesive will do the trick.
    It's number 31 in the schematic.

136982_48387.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sjcorpst; 05-23-2015 at 07:44 AM.

Not what I was thinking...maybe Don will be along shortly.

Question: is this something that you are having to add to the gearcase to run a certain prop, or is it needed to run in general? Also, is it kind of like a cavitation ring on a Trophy?
    2017 Ford F-350 Platinum
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP Yamaha 250SHO

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jus10keith View Post
    Not what I was thinking...maybe Don will be along shortly.

Question: is this something that you are having to add to the gearcase to run a certain prop, or is it needed to run in general? Also, is it kind of like a cavitation ring on a Trophy?
    It's a standard part that is listed for the gear case. There was another thread about the same thing a while ago, same thing, it had broken. I asked on that thread if it was needed since mine was broken at that time and Don said it should be used to prevent scarring of the prop bore from dirt, sand, etc. I replaced mine then and now it's damaged again, which prompted my thread.

6. Member
    Do you always torque the prop shaft nut to the appropriate torque value?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Damage to this ring often occurs from sand, silt, or debris that the engine is being drug through (or run in).

Have seen a couple of them break... all of them showed signs of wear (from foreign substance between prop and gearcase).

Moving thread to the appropriate (4-stroke) forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Mine done the same thing and Ive never ran mine near any sand or shallow water enough to damage. I think its some defect personally but Ive just run the piss out of mine and let it do whatever it wants to. Its under warranty and I shouldnt have to look at the prop spacer every trip. I replaced it once and Im not worrying about it anymore. Bad design in my honest opinion.

9. Xpress Boats Moderator
    I just checked mine and it's fine. You can see where it's been just barely rubbing the prop, but that's it. Are you guys running the "cushion" hub (flow torq 3,4,or5, or whatever the hell they are) If so I could see how the extra flex from the hub would let the prop make a LOT harder contact with that ring, and quite possibly break it. My prop has the std. flow torq hub in it. I also don't have prop rattle.

10. Banned
    I have standard flo torq II with a 24P T. B&Bed

It is not a robust part, obviously meant to be sacrificial to protect the lip of the exhaust hub. It also helps seal escaping exhaust around the prop hub that could cause unwanted venting and cavitation. Not a bad idea to have several spares sitting at home.

12. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by kycurs View Post
    I have standard flo torq II with a 24P T. B&Bed
    For your 150 4stroke you should run hub Quicksilver Flo-Torq IV Hub Kit - 835257Q10 (Mercury Verado 135-200HP & 150 HP 4 Strokes)

Not saying that that will cure your problem but the flo torq II is not the recommended hub.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spider1 View Post
    For your 150 4stroke you should run hub Quicksilver Flo-Torq IV Hub Kit - 835257Q10 (Mercury Verado 135-200HP & 150 HP 4 Strokes)

Not saying that that will cure your problem but the flo torq II is not the recommended hub.
    Not necessarily the case... see the following link from the FAQ

Prop Hub Kit Selection

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor