Merc 200 Verado Pro

Considering re=powering my old Triton TR196 with a 200 Verado Pro. Anyone running one on a bass boat? If so, how do you like it? Handling and speeds gains vs 200 EFI or Optimax?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would likely REALLY like this combination.

SMOOTH performance, un-matched handling and responsiveness.

WEIGHT may be a factor- don't know that I've seen this particular boat/engine combo yet. That DOESN'T mean it can't be done, though!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I really like my verado. I run a 225 650lb vrod on a 19'8" boat with a 95" beam. I do notice the weight difference from a 500lb opti, but from a smoothness of operation, quietness, power steering, and vibration absorption, I will never own another motor. I really like some of the features of the verado for comfort over the SHO.

I think you'll really like it, plus for about $800 you can get huge speed gains. Call up Eric at Simon Motorsports.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

4. Member
    As in weight on the transom itself, or just the overall weight of the engine? Boat is a 2004 Triton TR196.

5. Member
    The bow sits up a couple inches. That is the only difference.

CLOSED GAMEFISHING SEASONS IN WI HAS NO BIOLOGICAL CREEDENCE!!!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rustedhooks View Post
    As in weight on the transom itself, or just the overall weight of the engine? Boat is a 2004 Triton TR196.
    Weight of the engine is my only concern.

If you're currently running a jackplate.... you will need to reduce the plate by at least 4" (preferably 5). On this particular hull... I would expect you to need NO plate when running the Verado Pro.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

The Jackplate most likely will no be needed with the built in setback and the weight of the plate plus oil /oil tank and some weight of the mechanical shifter / throtte it maybe a break even deal. If any "extra" stock weight it could be corrected by re-arranging the load, add heavy to nose light in rear, But I doubt that would be needed. If you run a Verado Pro 200 you will never want anything else. I really think it will be fine. But a plate on 196 typically is a 6 or 8 and with Vrod no plate needed.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS