Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    True... Motor height should be looked at. It may be too deep.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

2. Member
    I have a 10" hydraulic jack plate so when testing I try all different heights. I typically start where my 24 Fury did best and then raise it up a touch for each hole shot. This is how I found the sweet spot for the Fury but no matter where I put the plate on the Bravo it does not jump out of the hole.

Any more discussion about whether I should have had the other four holes drilled? I hope to test a few more plug combinations this week. (Just a reminder that my main issue seems to be the delay in power I get when hitting the gas)

Refer to post number two. Raise jack plate off during whole shot to help venting

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Refer to post number two. Raise jack plate off during whole shot to help venting
    I can't say I raised the plate "during" the take off (I could not locate the second post you referred to). But my issue seems to be the very first second or two so I'm guessing raising it during is not the solution but I'll try. I'm going to hit the lake in a bit and try some more options. Sure would like to experience the great results people spoke of.

5. Member
    Well after dozens of hole shots and many combos with small, med, large and none plugged I'm very close to putting this wheel up for sale. I will not give up until I get the fully closed plugs in hand but at this point I somewhat doubt that will work but I'll try.

I was able to minimize the lag with just one small hole in but the hole shot was no better than my 24 fury and the bravo rpm was 4800/4900 (compared to 3900/4000 on fury). I tested all heights and confirmed the bravo did better higher but still did not put up any good numbers or performance. I called Scott at merc and although empathetic he could not offer any suggestions.

6. Member
    Put solid plugs in the four holes that Mark drilled. Your 1000 rpm's too high.

get some gorilla duct tape,and plug the holes,it will stay on long enough to tell you, if solid plugs is the answer.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Put solid plugs in the four holes that Mark drilled. Your 1000 rpm's too high.
    The Rpms r indeed too high but plugging all four would just put me back to square one before mark drilled. With no pvs venting there was a significant delay in initial spooling up.

The tape seems like a good idea for temporary full plugs

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    The Rpms r indeed too high but plugging all four would just put me back to square one before mark drilled. With no pvs venting there was a significant delay in initial spooling up.

The tape seems like a good idea for temporary full plugs
    I didn't say plug them all. Leave the 4- 1" holes open.

Question. ... do you have 4 holes that are larger (1" in diameter) than the 4 holes that Mark added?

10. Member
    I didn't say plug them all. Leave the 4- 1" holes open.

Question. ... do you have 4 holes that are larger (1" in diameter) than the 4 holes that Mark added?
    Yes it came stock with four 1" holes. Mark then drilled four 3/4" pvs holes.

11. Member
    Ask this question on the Ranger boards. Rangers with a 250 ProXS (1:75 gears) using a Bravo1XS (old edition with 1" holes) don't normally use any extra holes. The (4) 1" holes should be enough. You have a heavy boat with Power Poles, so there will always be a slight lag at the hit of the throttle. Plug the holes that Mark added and test. You adjust PVS in the RPM range that Mike told you.

12. Member
    I orignally had the regular Bravo I XS and my boat did not like to get on plane with someone else in the boat and loaded. I then got the 8 plug bravo I XS and plugged 2 solid and 1 large. It was much faster on plane. One the Rangers it does help the venting. You will more than likely need to plug 2 with solid plus and probably a small plug and large plus in others. The 1 inch holes allow more venting then the PVS system. How far up did you raise the motor for the holeshot. It was nearly a 1 inch jackplate adjustment for me higher with the Bravo over my Fury props. I was running the Fury and was decent out of the hole buy nowhere near the Bravo XS once I got the right height and plug setup.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CKRanger520 View Post
    I orignally had the regular Bravo I XS and my boat did not like to get on plane with someone else in the boat and loaded. I then got the 8 plug bravo I XS and plugged 2 solid and 1 large. It was much faster on plane. One the Rangers it does help the venting. You will more than likely need to plug 2 with solid plus and probably a small plug and large plus in others. The 1 inch holes allow more venting then the PVS system. How far up did you raise the motor for the holeshot. It was nearly a 1 inch jackplate adjustment for me higher with the Bravo over my Fury props. I was running the Fury and was decent out of the hole buy nowhere near the Bravo XS once I got the right height and plug setup.
    Thanks I too suspect it may require the 8 3/4" pvs system. But I still need to test my current with some of the holes fully closed. I did try with raised motor but that did not fully correct things. I was under the understanding that I could accomplish the exact same outcome with the older style prop If I needed and drilled holes.

14. Member
    Install 4 solid plugs. Check RPM's.
    RPM's in range.... STOP! Don't adjust for throttle lag. Adjust for RPM's.
    RPM's too high, Tape over one of the 1" holes.
    Low RPM's drill 1/4" hole in one solid plug.
    RPM's still low drill 1/4" hole in next plug.
    RPM's still low repeat process on the next two holes.
    Keep increasing hole size if necessary.

15. Member
    Install 4 solid plugs. Check RPM's.
    RPM's in range.... STOP! Don't adjust for throttle lag. Adjust for RPM's.
    RPM's too high, Tape over one of the 1" holes.
    Low RPM's drill 1/4" hole in one solid plug.
    RPM's still low drill 1/4" hole in next plug.
    RPM's still low repeat process on the next two holes.
    Keep increasing hole size if necessary.
    This would work, but, if you don't want to use the drill.
    Start with all open (or you could probably start with 2 solid plugs in, but I'm starting from scratch), if RPMs too high or you can't plain out (probably), stop, put 1 solid in (you can do this from inside the boat-with motor off and trimmed up)...try again...if still cant plain, put another solid in...try again, if youre able to plain out but RPMs too low, take out solid and put in large hole...,or If you still didn't plain out, try another solid or large hole....repeat this until you get the results you can live with or until all holes are plugged (won't happen).

There is no right or wrong hole to plug first or last-whatever works is ok. Just start plugging and trying...
    Last edited by taylor ms; 05-29-2015 at 12:56 PM.

16. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    I have a 10" hydraulic jack plate so when testing I try all different heights. I typically start where my 24 Fury did best and then raise it up a touch for each hole shot. This is how I found the sweet spot for the Fury but no matter where I put the plate on the Bravo it does not jump out of the hole.

Any more discussion about whether I should have had the other four holes drilled? I hope to test a few more plug combinations this week. (Just a reminder that my main issue seems to be the delay in power I get when hitting the gas)
    If you are running it at the same height as the Fury, that's the problem.................You are too deep in the water.........................Get in touch with Ka'King here on the boards. He is running the same prop on the same rig as yours with the same wheel as you (original Bravo I XS) with the 4 1" holes and it is a hoss. You can call me also if you like. You have the right prop...................plug the 4 holes that Mark drilled and raise the motor up to 2.0" pad to center shaft and she will run Sir..............................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

17. Member
    Glad you replied Roger. I knew those 4 extra holes were hurting him with the ProXS.

18. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Glad you replied Roger. I knew those 4 extra holes were hurting him with the ProXS.
    I had to read the whole thread to see his problem. On the 225 and 250 ProXS the original Bravo I XS with the 4 one inch holes run really really good on the Ranger hulls......................Bolt them on and go...................nothing other than that. They will come out of the hole at 3900 rpm's and are mean props on these boats.......................RR

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostComanche View Post
    If you are running it at the same height as the Fury, that's the problem.................You are too deep in the water.........................Get in touch with Ka'King here on the boards. He is running the same prop on the same rig as yours with the same wheel as you (original Bravo I XS) with the 4 1" holes and it is a hoss. You can call me also if you like. You have the right prop...................plug the 4 holes that Mark drilled and raise the motor up to 2.0" pad to center shaft and she will run Sir..............................RR
    As always I appreciate the help but like I stated above I ALREADY TRIED ALL HEIGHTS from top to bottom and I did not leave it where the Fury was. I kept raising it and raising it and NOTHING helped. With the original XS (pre drilling) it was getting huge lag time before any power was felt and Mark and even people here told me that drilling the 4 holes would help and it was a matter of finding the correct PVS plug combo. That has not worked yet either, so I don't know how the 4 holes are hurting me and I've tried it without them already. Two seconds of delay before my engine gets power is not acceptable to me. It's like guessing when to hit the throttle in order to get the power when I want it.

I will indeed tape some of the newly drilled holes to try a couple closed off, and then I will even go back and tape all of them (but I've been there and done that already). I guess in short I'm not sold on this prop just because it worked for someone else, somewhere else. It's doing what it's doing.

20. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    You should try a different wheel then Sir. I will bet you a hundred that I could make it work on your boat.............Have a good day ..................RR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast