Banned

St Lawrence river

I'm heading up to the St Lawrence river in about 2 weeks we going to try our luck with fishing for big pike. We will be staying around 9 miles north of Alexandria bay. I have never fished the river, I am familiar with the area though we fish black lake quite a bit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a little anxious about navigating this river. Thanks Rod

I am going end of next month but for Bass... Alex bay has gas, not sure where you are staying and/or if you plan on taking the boat out of the water at all? lots of good areas from 9 miles up north to alex bay...

3. Banned
    We will staying at Duck Cove cottages ,the boat will be in the water all week at the cabin. We would like to fish for smallmouth also but I thought that targeting them out of season would get us in trouble. I know that they frown on that on black lake.

4. Banned
    Duck Cove is just a little bit south of Chippewa bay.

5. Member
    NY still has a bass out of season?

If I wasn't lost, I'd surely know where I was going!

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smith64a View Post
    NY still has a bass out of season?
    Yes in St Lawrence County. people are trying to get it changed but they haven't yet. I'm pretty sure the rest of the state has a catch and release season, I know oneida does.

7. Member
    I'm planning on fishing Oneida 6/17 thru the 20th. Just for fun catch and release. Is that allowed at that time? Thanks!

8. Banned
    Yes it's allowed, no problem on oneida good luck.

9. Member
    Thanks for the info!

10. Member
    That is my home water and I should be around that weekend. Send me an email for info. Unfortunately, yes bass is still out of season.....even for catch and release. I think the cutoff line is somewhere just south of Watertown. I looked at the map and it seems Sandy Pond is the most northerly water to legally target bass for catch and release.

11. Banned
    OK Thanks I may do that when we get up there.

12. Member
    We've been catching some nice "eyes" this past week. Caught a few in the 28" mark. Caught some under 18" but most are in the 19-21" range. Good eatin'. We've been catching them in 64-72ft of water but did catch a few in 30-34ft. The temp seems to be right at 55 degrees right now. We've caught a few pike also in the bays, one 35.5". Every bay you go into and cast for pike you will catch small mouth as they are in there staging for the spawn but you can't control what bites your lure. We've been mostly fishing the Wilson Hill area. Good luck!

13. Banned
    Thanks! We're heading up tomorrow morning. 55 degrees that's perfect. I thought it would be warmer than that.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    Thanks! We're heading up tomorrow morning. 55 degrees that's perfect. I thought it would be warmer than that.
    How'd the fishing trip go?

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by egladding View Post
    How'd the fishing trip go?
    We had a pretty good trip the weather wasn't the best in the beginning of the week, wind.I got a 27 in walleye 8 lbs a bunch of pike, biggest was a 33 and a 30 didn't weight them but they were solid. Bunch of smallmouth 2.5 to 3.5
    we went to Black lake Thursday and Friday and absolutely hammered the bass and pike on spinnerbaits I caught about 40 in about 4 hours on Friday.The river water temperature was 55 to 57 Black was 67 to 70
    Last edited by pa.X19; 06-07-2015 at 06:10 PM.

16. Member
    Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to hear it. The wind has been a bit ridiculous lately.

17. Member
    Hey there I know this is an old post but I'm lanning a trip up to the St Lawrence in JUne and I have the same concerns about Navigating the river. I am an experienced bass fisherman and run a 21 foot triton. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Right now I plan on staying up near Waddington. Thanks

18. Member
    Unfortunately, I will be of no help for Waddington area. My eperience starts about 30 miles upriver from there.