Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Terrible holeshot.... what to do next?

I've been combating this problem with my boat for a while, and I'm at a loss. Here's the situation. I have a 2002 Sprint 297 Pro. 200 HP Yamaha HPDI, motor is an 07. I'm on my 4th different prop, and I have yet to get this fixed. I had a 25P Yamaha T1. Fastest prop I ran, but 8 second holeshot. Tried a 25P Tempest plus, 10 second holeshot, during the summer, couldn't get on plane at all. Went to a 25 Trophy, holeshot was "better" but still around 6-7 seconds.

After getting some advice from the guru's here, went with a 26P Bravo 1 XS. Holeshot improved a bunch, 4-5 seconds. Added a set of 8 foot talons. Holeshot went back to crap... Played around with the height of the plate, improved it a bit, but still not great. Tried moving all my tackle around to offset the talons, still very little improvement with the holeshot. This was during the colder months. It was tolerable, but now that the water is warming up, If I'm by myself, it takes 8 seconds to get on plane, and if I have a partner, I can't get on plane at all if the livewells are full. It just plows. I have to empty the livewells halfway to get on plane, and it takes a long time... more than 10 seconds. From a dead stop, mashing on the hotfoot, I'm @ 4000 RPM's. I have plenty of water pressure at WOT (25 plus lbs) I've moved the jackplate up til I lost speed on top end then dropped it back down.

Here's what my concerns are. First, when I'm at a stop and stomp on it, the nose of the boat is extremely high. I'd conservatively estimate that I'm sitting at a 60 degree angle. I've never been in a boat that has so much bow lift on the takeoff, including several other Sprints like mine. It almost caused me to get in an accident this weekend during blastoff (boat in front of me stalled, coudn't see him..) Two, there shouldn't be any problems with getting on plane with a Bravo prop.... I'm not sure what to do next... I've considered adding 2 things to the boat, some Bob's transom wedges (I've got plenty of trim left on the top) And also I thougth about adding a Bob's stabilizer plate....

Any other thoughts before I start buying stuff I may not necessarily need? I don't know what else it could be at this point. Thanks guys

2. Member
    I would suggest checking the comperssion on all cylinders. Have you replaced the spark plugs any time recently? Perform a link-n-sink to make sure the timing and fuel are correct.

3. Member
    Plugs are new. Compression is good. Boat runs 68 MPH@ 5800 RPM's once it's on plane. Just did a decarb of the motor about 2 months ago. It has zero engine problems, the only thing that's not right is the holeshot. Motor only has 142 hours on it. Just had all the lower unit seals replaced last month...

Probably should have mentioned that my jackplate is a 10" Pro Hi Jacker.

4. Member
    Other measurements that might be helpful:

Boat P2P is 1 inch below pad. Bravo 1 XS is a surfacing prop. I get NO roostertail at WOT, trimmed to max speed. I have plenty of trim still left when I get to WOT, trimmed out for max speed.

When pad is level, and motor is level, there is a good gap on the trim. Visible in pictures.

Transom was replaced before I bought the boat (replaced with solid fiberglass transom, I know the guy that did it, he does quality work. No water intrusion in the transom. Still solid as a rock. Not sure if the transom angle changed though... It has a decent amount of angle from top to bottom, bottom being far more forward than top.

I'm at a loss.

5. Member
    I have pictures of everything I could email or send links to photobucket if it would help anyone..

6. Member
    Just a question...have you ever dropped your motor down about 2" deeper and tried it there?

7. Pat Goff
    If you have positive trim to burn a negative transom wedge fixes all your problems. You are welcome.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

8. Member
    I can always count on you Pat. You're the man

9. Member
    I have a 297 also. I can't get mine on plane. I have a 200 hp Merc. Going 63 on top end with a 24 trophy plus. Holeshot sucks when loaded in a tournament. Partner has to get in front of the boat. Tried messing with PVS but then it just blows out. Have you tried the wedges? Also what do they actually do? I've never heard of them. Thanks

10. Pat Goff
    If you've got a holeshot pig, look at some electric trim tabs, they'll cure your ills, don't see them on bass hulls often, but when you need them, they're pure gold. Every flats rig we've rigged had them installed, but for some reason it's taboo here.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. Member
    Transom wedges, a foil on the LU and a flat plate on bottom of jackplate will keep the nose down and take off a lot harder.

12. Member
    here's my two scents. doing as much as you can helps so a combinations of things may help. some people argue that doing certain things will only help a little but combining multiple "fixes" may help. a holeshot plate (a flate plate on the bottom of the jackplate like 90 5.0 mentioned). maybe try the plate alone first because the jack plate may be scooping alot of water right now. if the plate alone doesnt help, try the vented prop, plate and if no improvements toss on trim tabs. if the motor height is adjusted even close to where it should be youl notice improvements for sure. vented prop might not help however because you are getting tons of rpm when you stomp on it.

13. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    If you have positive trim to burn a negative transom wedge fixes all your problems. You are welcome.
    This....... Plus trim tabs if you find the wedges aren't enough. Look at Bob's Machnine Shop! This will fix your problem.

14. Member
    You went to a 26 bravo 1 then added weight to the rear with the talons so you probably need to drop in pitch to a 25" bravo1 xs. How many holes are in your bravo 4 or 8 and how many plugs are you running in the holes?

15. Member
    try a foil or a bravo1 prop
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Like I've mentioned numerous times it's normally a combination of things to get it where you want it. I probublay habe the hardest holeshoting boat on this forum. It took a ton of work hundreds of hours testing and working in the shop. If holeshot is what you are after a foil, a skid plate and negative tuck are a must.

17. Member
    Get a hole shot plate. I put one on mine and it made a bjg difference.

18. Member
    25 Fury and have mark drill 5/16 holes above pvs holes. Makes big difference.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

19. Member
    If you have a jack plate, you need a plate to cover the bottom, as the jackplate scoops up water during holeshot, making the stern dig in. Also, the holeshot plated the go over the prop on the lower unit definitely keep the bow down and help holeshot. Visit the Stroker and Bullet boards and they have a couple of guys that make great ones, that look good too, aluminum to polished stainless. I just had one made with the holes and slot predrilled so it sits 3" further back.
    Negative trim wedges also help. I just took mine off, and if you want them, you can have them cheap.

20. Member
    I have a 1997 Ranger R72 Sport with a 1997 Mercury 115 hp 2 stroke with a laser II prop 24 pitch. I am having problem with the hole shot on plane I am running around 4500 rpm at around 38 to 40 mph. Can anyone suggest a better prop configuration to improve the hole shoe and maybe increase the speed.
    Thanks,
    Buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast