Thread: RT 188 changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RT 188 changes

Let's hear your ideas on changes you wish Ranger would make to the RT 188 in 2016. Maybe someone at the plant will tune in for some of these ideas. I think they are awesome already, but what would you like them to have done a little different? I for one, wish they would make the step useful, such as storage, or a cooler. I also wish they would open up the front compartments toward the bow, for more storage. Please don't take this as a bashing thread, just kind of a "wish list" for them to look at. Let's hear it.....

2. Member
    Cheaper?

3. Banned
    Ranger makes a great aluminum boat but you asked so...

Increase HP rating...maybe 150-175hp.

Increase beam to 98 inches.

Increase bottom width to 68-70 inches.

Use .120 alloy instead of the .100 for added strength.
    Last edited by Original Tin; 05-15-2015 at 09:16 AM.

4. Member
    Make both front deck side compartments go further forward towards the bow for added storage.

Tilt steering would be nice.

Powder coated Hull.

Pedestal bases, instead of screw in type, would love to see the snap lock like they use in their glass boats.

Trailer- a welded winch stand, and maybe a choice of colors other than Black.

Those would be my changes.
    Lid latches, Southco Compression latches would be very nice touch.

Built in step up cooler with drain. A little more room in the battery area.

6. Banned
    Yeah that cheap little front step looks like an afterthought

7. Member
    I actually prefer the step as an option, I don't have it and that's where I put a Yeti cooler I use as a step and keeps ice for days, so for me the open cockpit works out nicely.

I agree widen it 6 inches and give it a 150 rating. Widening the boat can cause several other design improvements, easy room for three across of any size battery you want to use, increase size of all storage compartments, fore, aft, and under seats. Get rid of that Micro Jacker and offer a 4 or 6 inch Atlas jack plate instead. Offer a removable port console, that should be easy. Here is one most boats should incorporate, use a detachable hinge on the lid for the battery compartment so it can be set aside to facilitate working on the batteries and bilge area standing behind the transom.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 05-15-2015 at 08:03 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Here is one most boats should incorporate, use a detachable hinge on the lid for the battery compartment so it can be set aside to facilitate working on the batteries and bilge area standing behind the transom.
    I've never thought about that but it is a dang good idea.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

10. Member
    I want to say first, that performance wise Ranger could tweak some things and throw a 150 HP on there. In my opinion they never will because it's not smart business when they're selling 17ft and 18ft glass boats. If anything they should work on their hull design to run even better with a 115 and eliminate the trim tabs.

Now things I could see changing:
    1- Maximize the layout and storage. I know that they are prioritizing dry storage over large storage but some big side boxes in the deck would be nice. Including being able to put some big rods in a side box and keep the center for tackle storage.
    2- Cooler integrated into a large step would be nice as others have said.
    3- Maybe a stylish middle seat console to match the fiberglass driver console.
    4- Some type of bullet proof paint process to cover the whole boat. Might be too cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrb View Post
    I want to say first, that performance wise Ranger could tweak some things and throw a 150 HP on there. In my opinion they never will because it's not smart business when they're selling 17ft and 18ft glass boats. If anything they should work on their hull design to run even better with a 115 and eliminate the trim tabs.

Now things I could see changing:
    1- Maximize the layout and storage. I know that they are prioritizing dry storage over large storage but some big side boxes in the deck would be nice. Including being able to put some big rods in a side box and keep the center for tackle storage.
    2- Cooler integrated into a large step would be nice as others have said.
    3- Maybe a stylish middle seat console to match the fiberglass driver console.
    4- Some type of bullet proof paint process to cover the whole boat. Might be too cost prohibitive.
    Good post. I agree the hull design needs some work to eliminate those tabs I have always considered those to be a bandaid. As spinningreel posted need to improve the winch stand as well. The boat has only been out a few years. Last year they made some nice changes with the steps on the trailer and painting the hull sides more and the jack plate option which speaking of that they need to offer a manual adjustable option for that as well. Im sure they will bring something new to the table.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I agree with the changes listed above and cannot add anything to them but would like to address their customer relations business model. I think they need closer contact with their customers instead of expecting their dealers to front for them. They need an internet owners forum that is monitored by technically competent Ranger Customer Service employees. "I love MY Ranger" does not meet that need. I have a technical question concerning the wiring on my boat that I know the Dealer cannot answer but could be answered in 5 minutes by the right person at Ranger.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

13. Member
    more color options. white with green pinstripes. white with yellow pinstripes. black with yellow pinstripes.

14. Member
    Turn that little step into a cooler.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    Ranger makes a great aluminum boat but you asked so...

Increase HP rating...maybe 150-175hp.

Increase beam to 98 inches.

Increase bottom width to 68-70 inches.

Use .120 alloy instead of the .100 for added strength.
    This. Start competing with the faster hulls like Xpress. Stronger, longer, wider and designed with jack plates and large motors in mind. Granted, they won't be cheap but there's a market for them for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishaholic Ty View Post
    Cheaper?
    I think you and I are the only ones on that boat! Lol... Everyone else wants bigger , faster, and more expensive. I need a different job! LOL :)

17. Banned
    I absolutely love a step up. The 178 incorporated the step to the deck. The 188....we'll build a box and throw it on there

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I agree with the changes listed above and cannot add anything to them but would like to address their customer relations business model. I think they need closer contact with their customers instead of expecting their dealers to front for them. They need an internet owners forum that is monitored by technically competent Ranger Customer Service employees. "I love MY Ranger" does not meet that need. I have a technical question concerning the wiring on my boat that I know the Dealer cannot answer but could be answered in 5 minutes by the right person at Ranger.
    I really agree with your recommendation about technical help. They could have a Q&A forum at their website for this. But with what happened lately with new ownership possible I doubt you will be seeing any improvements in customer service or new added features...
    I have always been able to call up to Ranger and find someone to help me......BUT - It would not surprise me at all to have some pencil pusher decide there is not a need to have two customer service centers when they could be all rolled up into one big happy family mediocre customer service center .... If you get my drift.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I made that suggestion at a Product Knowledge Tour in the mid-1990's...back when they had the largest turnout ever, up to that time...there were 46 of us there!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

[TE=Bill Reynolds;6166428]I agree with the changes listed above and cannot add anything to them but would like to address their customer relations business model. I think they need closer contact with their customers instead of expecting their dealers to front for them. They need an internet owners forum that is monitored by technically competent Ranger Customer Service employees. "I love MY Ranger" does not meet that need. I have a technical question concerning the wiring on my boat that I know the Dealer cannot answer but could be answered in 5 minutes by the right person at Ranger.[/QUOTE]
    This is something that is needed in all brands. And Not just for boats, auto , appliances, tools. ext. You get the picture, everything. good post!

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast