Thread: RT 188 changes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I absolutely love a step up. The 178 incorporated the step to the deck. The 188....we'll build a box and throw it on there
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

I'm going to chime in here because my RT178 isn't much different than the 188.
    1. Some damn place on the console to put misc stuff like phone, glasses etc that won't blow out when I'm rocketing down the lake at mach 35mph.
    2. The step is something I absolutely had to have, but it's not designed as a "dry" box.........so vent it and put support on the underside of the lid so it doesn't flex.
    3. Make the center seat a delete option and substitute with some kind of marine type plastic support with carpet on it, again so it won't flex.
    4. POP UP CLEATS. I don't like them on the inside rail as the rope rides on the top and just rubs and rubs and rubs the paint while docked or with bumpers.
    5. Tilt steering wheel. I'm only 5'10" and I have to keep my right leg stretched out to keep it from interfering with the steering. OR a flat bottom steering wheel would work at least while running straight.
    6. Find a place to mount the rear transducer so it actually works above 20mph.

I love my boat and it's far easier for me to launch, run, fish, than my old fiber boat, but these are some things that are not expensive to do in the production process and would help set Ranger apart from some of the competition.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumRanger View Post
    5. Tilt steering wheel. I'm only 5'10" and I have to keep my right leg stretched out to keep it from interfering with the steering. OR a flat bottom steering wheel would work at least while running straight.

I was in a RT 178 and noticed that. I am assuming it is the same on the RT 188? There wasn't enough room for my right leg to be next to the wheel. For my leg to fit under the wheel, I had to have it stretched out. It made me feel very trapped. Is this how all the aluminum brands feel?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrb View Post
    I want to say first, that performance wise Ranger could tweak some things and throw a 150 HP on there. In my opinion they never will because it's not smart business when they're selling 17ft and 18ft glass boats. If anything they should work on their hull design to run even better with a 115 and eliminate the trim tabs.

Now things I could see changing:
    1- Maximize the layout and storage. I know that they are prioritizing dry storage over large storage but some big side boxes in the deck would be nice. Including being able to put some big rods in a side box and keep the center for tackle storage.
    2- Cooler integrated into a large step would be nice as others have said.
    3- Maybe a stylish middle seat console to match the fiberglass driver console.
    4- Some type of bullet proof paint process to cover the whole boat. Might be too cost prohibitive.
    Ranger's 18ft glass boats are priced in the mid 30's Personally, I think there are other reasons people buy tin over glass than just price point. As it is, the RT188 is priced similarly to the Z7. Now that both companies have taken on the same ownership, I would be more curious if the Ranger would eat into the Nitro sales or vice versa.

I would tend to agree with your 4 bullet points. I think Ranger hit a winner with their deep v tin. They need something to move them to the head of the tin bass boat pack. There sales the first 2 years IMO were based on name alone. Many other brands are stepping up quality and options. Ranger tin can't survive in this market on name alone

5. Member
    FIX DRAIN IN FLOOR WHERE ALL WATER WOULD DRAIN OUT INSTEAD OF BUILDING UP BEHIND SEATS WHEN FRONT OF BOAT IS ELEVATED, STEP COOLER, THAT SAID BEST FISHING BOAT I EVER HAVE OWNED

6. Member

taken care of. all of your issues were addressed look at 2020 rt 188p

​l
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Ranger's 18ft glass boats are priced in the mid 30's Personally, I think there are other reasons people buy tin over glass than just price point. As it is, the RT188 is priced similarly to the Z7. Now that both companies have taken on the same ownership, I would be more curious if the Ranger would eat into the Nitro sales or vice versa.

I would tend to agree with your 4 bullet points. I think Ranger hit a winner with their deep v tin. They need something to move them to the head of the tin bass boat pack. There sales the first 2 years IMO were based on name alone. Many other brands are stepping up quality and options. Ranger tin can't survive in this market on name alone

7. Banned
    Well.....

1. Better darn hardware. Cheap pulls, lights and other stuff just screams junk.
    2. 14 inch tires
    3. Tilt freakin steering. I have dual solix units on the console and just that feature would have saved me a bunch of headaches.
    4. Tilt freaking steering 2. I paid big bucks for the 188 sea star steering upgrade that they DO offer a tilt wheel for. Another couple of hundred wouldn't matter.

Whats with the extremely old threads being brought back lately?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Usually someone using the search function then posting. If people don't use the search function someone always makes a post informing everyone there is a search function to find information. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't kinda things.

As for the "changes since 2015." My 2017 had some changes. The floor drains are pitiful on almost every bass boat I've ever owned. I've seen several different ways of trying to drain that area. You can have the best bilge pump in the world, but spear a wave and see where the water is going to sit until it gets to the bilge. I'm stoked the floor box, or what the seats are bolted on is sealed up. If water does get down there it doesn't get into the box.

The standard live well pump out in 2017, the Bay Star steering, it's one of the FEW 18' boats where I didn't need tilt steering. Personally I don't like my big units behind the steering wheel. When I had big units like the HDS12 I put them on Rams. Would tilt steering be nice...I guess it would be a nice option since it's not that expensive. But, putting Sea Star on a boat rated for a 115...what manufacturer is going to do that on a line boat? You are talking about custom order stuff. I HAVE custom ordered stuff exactly like I wanted it back when I was tournament fishing and on promotional staff. Champion made my boats EXACTLY like I wanted them. I bet the right ear being bent at he plant could get you Sea Star and tilt steering. You may not like the price.

Lets face it...in 2017 I paid just under 30K for a loaded RT188 DC 115 Merc ProXS 4S out the door. That includes the longest Platinum warranty I could buy, taxes, SC tach, etc...It's not a stripped boat. It was the national dealer show boat in 2017. How much do you think I would have spent on a Z518 which is 2 inches longer?
    Last edited by n2ratfishin; 09-18-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Usually someone using the search function then posting. If people don't use the search function someone always makes a post informing everyone there is a search function to find information. It's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't kinda things.

As for the "changes since 2015." My 2017 had some changes. The floor drains are pitiful on almost every bass boat I've ever owned. I've seen several different ways of trying to drain that area. You can have the best bilge pump in the world, but spear a wave and see where the water is going to sit until it gets to the bilge. I'm stoked the floor box, or what the seats are bolted on is sealed up. If water does get down there it doesn't get into the box.

The standard live well pump out in 2017, the Bay Star steering, it's one of the FEW 18' boats where I didn't need tilt steering. Personally I don't like my big units behind the steering wheel. When I had big units like the HDS12 I put them on Rams. Would tilt steering be nice...I guess it would be a nice option since it's not that expensive. But, putting Sea Star on a boat rated for a 115...what manufacturer is going to do that on a line boat? You are talking about custom order stuff. I HAVE custom ordered stuff exactly like I wanted it back when I was tournament fishing and on promotional staff. Champion made my boats EXACTLY like I wanted them. I bet the right ear being bent at he plant could get you Sea Star and tilt steering. You may not like the price.

Lets face it...in 2017 I paid just under 30K for a loaded RT188 DC 115 Merc ProXS 4S out the door. That includes the longest Platinum warranty I could buy, taxes, SC tach, etc...It's not a stripped boat. It was the national dealer show boat in 2017. How much do you think I would have spent on a Z518 which is 2 inches longer?
    Well said.
    Maybe the best value out there.
    Also, at one time they would put about anything within reason you asked for on it.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

11. Member
    Thinking about a Ranger RT 188P, wondering if the rod tubes can be removed?

12. Member
    I'm not sure I'd want the tubes removed. The center of the boat runs all the way too the tip, you can put long rods in there. If you take the foot pedal out you'll find all sorts of braces, wires, and or foam for rods to get hung up on in the nose. The tubes run all the way up there and protect your rods.

I double up rods in the tubes with socks.

I like the tubes myself. You can put the rod in a sleeve to protect the eyes and stop tangling and get at least two per tube. That is 16 rods. I normally have 4-5 on the deck. Also I don't own any rod that won't fit in the tubes lengthwise. The tubes just keep things so neat.

Everybody has their own thing they like. I think you could remove them. I have been all around up under there. But I would try them out for a bit before doing it.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

14. Member
    With sleeves, I can get 3 casting rods in the tubes. I usually have 20 rods in the locker, including 3-4 spinning combos.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

15. Banned
    After running it for awhile now any design change that would make it a more dry ride would be nice. I like to fish in the winter when it's quiet on the lake and almost any wind will wet me when running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12