Question lid support gas shocks.

My 2015 189 did not come with lid supports. So i bought all the brackets and gas supports that Triton said to get. The gas supports they said they use for the 189 are 40 psi and 20" extended.

Well i got the 20" and there is no way they are going to fit. They seem to be a few inches too long. So the question is when putting them on do i compress them first when putting them on? If not then they are too big.

What size would I need for the 189 trx.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

2. Member
    Mike Steve again I got the same boat you got I can't believe you don't have the gas shocks I have them on mine two rod lockers and in the front storage compartment.I don't know what size off hand but I would think they would have to be open to install.

When u get a sec will you see if you can see a size on the support

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

4. Member
    It won't be till this Saturday boat is at the lake. Sorry

Ok not a problem

6. Banned
    image.jpg Rod locker

7. Banned
    image.jpgCenter compartment

8. Banned
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    How they have them mounted

Ok thanks for yhe picts. The 20 will work on the rod lockers but i can't see the the center. Any idea what size that is

10. Banned
    Looks to me the rod lockers are 27 and the center is 22

Iv gota a 20 for the center and they are too big. Ima have to look to see that sizes they come in. What hardware did they use to attach the bracket to the fiberglass? Screws or nuts and bolts? Sorry for all the questions

12. Banned
    Screws in there now but the screws that hold the base to the fiberglass for the center are stripping out so I'll have to fix that

I have it figured out. I attached the strut to the lid with screws and the strut to the fiberglass with ss nuts, washers and bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I have it figured out. I attached the strut to the lid with screws and the strut to the fiberglass with ss nuts, washers and bolts
    hey Tim i am wanting to do this to my trx also. how did yours turn out. do you have any pics???

It turned out great. Ill post a few here in a lill while

Here are the picts. The rod/battery compartment are 40 psi and 20" fully extended and the center box is 40 psi and 10" extended.

Battery compartment. Since there was not a lid brace I had to drill small holes through the lid. I got some stainless steel nuts and bolts and use them to go through the holes. the bolts I used have a very small diameter head that way the carpet will hide the screw.

[IMG][/IMG]

Starboard side locker

[IMG][/IMG]

Center compartment
    [IMG][/IMG]

The port side locker is just like the starboard side

17. Member
    This place has every kind of lift support known to man:

High Quality Automotive | Marine | Industrial Lift Supports
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

18. Member
    How do you measure to install a strut? I have a 12" strut for my center rod locker door, but don't know where they should go on the door.

What kind of boat

20. Member
    Sorry to bring up this old thread but i'm planning on adding the gas shocks to my 2018 189TRX (2 rod lockers and center compartment like above) however i gave Triton my hull ID and they sent me 2 shocks that measure 20" extended and 2 shocks that measure 12" extended)

I see that you guys put the longer on the rod lockers however there is a local 189TRX owner that sent me pics of the way he did his and put the shorter ones on the rod lockers???

Also the local guy mounted the center compartment shocks to the vertical support bars under the lid using self tapping screws and then to the inner lip of the compartment with nuts/bolts similar to how the rod lockers are.

I too would prefer to mount it that way for 2 reasons 1 being that i'd have to drill and run a bolt from the outside top of the center lid through the carpet to attach the mounting bracket underneath and also i'd prefer not to run a self tapping screws down into the fiberglass on the outside of the rubber sealing gaskets in fear of them pulling out eventually and i don't see a way to easily access below that area to get a nut on a bolt??

Hope that all makes sense lol

I'll try to add a couple pics thanks for the help!
    Last edited by TRIXGOTAFISH; 03-27-2020 at 05:24 PM.