Tandem trailer alignment?

I have a 2008 EZ Loader tandem trailer with torsion suspension (UFP axles and components). Lately it seems to be eating tires. I have excessive wear on the right front and left rear tire, mainly on the inside edge. I have had 3 torsion axles replaced under warranty, 2 were installed by an independent shop chosen by UFP and the other was installed by me. I dont really see any way to adjust anything alignment wise, can it be done? I tried contacting EZ Loader and never got a response.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

2. Member
    I'm not a trailer mechanic, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express. Couldn't you bolt two bare rims up and check them with a straight edge to see if there is excessive toe out or toe in? I've seem many torsion arm trailers that to the naked eye are out of alignment following them, but never seen the issue by naked eye on a leaf sprung axle. There is another possibility of alignment, camber, on a torsion axle that seems to change as the wheel goes through its travel on torsion axles too.
    I have a single axle trailer under my Stratos, torsion axle. It wears tires out on both edges, classic signs of underinflation, but the tires are inflated to 55 PSI. I think it's due to the tires scrubbing as they travel through the sprung dimensions.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    First thing to check is bearing play. Jack the problem wheels up and make sure they are almost snug. Excess bearing play can cause inside wear on the tires.

Next, check the toe. You can use Bill's method with a spare rim. I just pull the wheel and check it on the hub with a level and a tape measure. I use a longer level, but the picture below shows how I do it. You crank the trailer jack until the frame is level, then rotate the hub until the straightedge is level, and measure from both ends of the straight edge to the frame.

Here is another way to do it https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Perfect answer CatFan...now THAT should be pinned

I love seeing something accomplished by using "Other" means than the tools that are made to do that job !! This post and the referred to post are fantastic !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    toe and caster are NOT adjustable...

Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    Well, I'm not sure about that !! I know a couple of Frame and Axle guys that could probably do that, but it may cost more than just replacing the Axle.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

With no weight on the axles, don't think a true measurement can be taken on torsion setups.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoast View Post
    You are correct in the traditional sense. With the right tools they can be depending on the set up. Any straight axle trailer can be adjusted. Not in the way you might think. Things have to be bent back into alignment. Think of the Ford twin I beam suspension. Cam kits and i beam bend were required. Torsion axle might require the replacement of the spindel and or bushings.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    You are correct in the traditional sense. With the right tools they can be depending on the set up. Any straight axle trailer can be adjusted. Not in the way you might think. Things have to be bent back into alignment. Think of the Ford twin I beam suspension. Cam kits and i beam bend were required. Torsion axle might require the replacement of the spindel and or bushings.
    The old Ranger trailers, before torsion axles, were adjusted by going to a shop that could do a Ford Twin I beam suspension.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    That might be true. If it was a Ranger trailer, the Ranger trailer department told me on their trailers I would be money ahead to just go ahead to replace the axle. Toe/camber adjustments cant be made on the UFP axel they use. That's what I was told. But I will definitely a bearing check per Catfans recommendation. My tires are showing inside wear but they are 4 years old and have a good many miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Well, I'm not sure about that !! I know a couple of Frame and Axle guys that could probably do that, but it may cost more than just replacing the Axle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Toe/camber adjustments cant be made on the UFP axle they use. That's what I was told.
    I was also told this exact same thing by the service manager at a local, well-respected truck/trailer/RV shop in this area and he was adamant about it. This is specific to torsion axles by the way. My Ranger 462 had a spring axle and for 11 years I never even thought about axle problems. I've had my current rig for 7 seasons, it has torsion axles and they have been a real problem. So much so, that if/when I upgrade, a boat manufacturer that uses trailers with spring axles will get special consideration.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.