Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2006 Evinrude E-tec problems

Was wondering if anyone out there was having trouble with the Evinrude e-tec 150's. I recently purchased a new 28 ft RIB and installed new evinrude e-tecs.

With less than 20 hrs on the boat, I have replaced three powerheads. One powerhead on the std motor (it blew up and put two holes on both sides of the block, have the pictures to prove it), and two on the counter rotating engine (piston came up and took out a spark plug then melted itself into the egine block). As the boat sits in the shop with its new powerheads and 45 minutes of use I was just told that the starter went out on the Std rotating engine. A cracked pinion gear that got stuck in the flywheel.

After long deliberation with Evinrude, it was halfway determined that bad maps on the original engines caused the failures, meaning they do not know for sure.

Very frustrated with these engines and ready to drive them into the ground next to the Titanic.

Anyone else have trouble?

2. Member

Re: 2006 Evinrude E-tec problems (Waterworld)

I've never heard of anyone having problems like your having. Can you please post the model and serial numbers so one of the techs here can look up the motors?

- Dae

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar

The Guru's will need serial #'s and Mod. #'s on each engine and then they can possibly help you out.................Welcome to the BBC...............Roger

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

4. Member

We have received some of the first 150's that came off the line. All of our 2.6 liter ETEC's have been ok besides the wrong throttle cam, and the update to the emm for better starting during cold weather. The latest software is dated 1-10-07 if im not mistaken. I believe part of the update has to do with oil use at certain rpm ranges. What is your RPM profile like? We have several that have over 1,000 hours logged on. I know this does you no good but we have not seen any major problems like you are having.

Uh oh, Here we go again.

A first time poster and a hard to believe story.

Could you post the model and serial numbers of the motors so we can see what the story is, and if it is true, then the knowledgeable folks on this board can help you out.

There were never any bad MAPs released that blew up a motor. Someone is feeding you a line of bull.

Waterworld, if you are legit you won't mind posting the numbers for us.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar

Re: 2006 Evinrude E-tec problems (SEAHORSE)

Attaboy SeaHorse..........................Roger

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

7. Member

Sure the serial number for the std engine is 05169541 and the model # is E150DPXSUF.

I do not have the numbers on the counter rotating engine but will get them when I see the boat in the next day or so.

To answer your questions, the boat runs at 5400 RPM when they are both running at about 60 MPH.

Waterworld, I'm a little curious as to why you'd register and not show your name in your profile.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Waterworld &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sure the serial number for the std engine is 05169541 and the model # is E150DPXSUF.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Factory warranty claims show 1 powerhead on 11-30-06
    -----

10. Member

Seahorse

Can you tell what software version it had on it when it blew? This is the first one that I have seen that blew a power head since the update that changed the oil flow profile- In the August 2006 time frame. Also, how much time did it have on it?

I had two power heads fail before that update on my 150. I have over 40 hours on #3 now. I have been trying to keep up with the 2.6 v6 power head failures by searching the internet. and even though I don't have the number in front of me now, I know I have found less than 10 (that looked legit), including my two. This is the first one I have seen since the update came out in August.

Pure speculation, but maybe this one had the older software.

11. Member

The serial # for the counter rotating engine is 05163876, the engine # is E150DCXSUF. This engine is on its 3rd power head.

Currently the engines are programmed for XD50 but running XD100, (at the discretion of Evinrude so that they get extra oil).

The engines did have the original software on them and have had three updates since the powerhead failures. The most recent was beginning of January when the Evinrude rep came up and installed the new software map on both engines.

Yep, shows 2 powerheads on this motor. One is on the same day as the other motor. What is the story there?

What did the Evinrude factory rep say ?

If you've been around the Internet for a while, you will see it is very rare to have E-TEC powerheads go bad. From experience, multiple failures are somehow fuel related, usually from something in the rigging or the boat's system.
    -----

13. Member

Dear Seahorse- Waterworld is my associate- the boat and motors actually belong to me. Powerheads were replaced at the same time because the normal rotating motor actually blew holes out of each side of the midsection of the block- can send pictures if you like. Boat was returned, of course, and they found that counterrotating motor (powerhead #2) was damaged and just about to fail.

As for the assumption that this is a rigging or fuel problem, that is what every one has said. We were headed that way in our thinking as well, until today when the technician found that the motors were both dropping about 1000 rpms simultaneously on a new fuel cells. This is definitely a motor problem.

Oh yes, did waterworld mention that the starter pinion broke on Monday. Now they are wanting to pull the fuel pumps off! Have not had use of my boat now for 8 months!

Agree that we have not found other problems with ETect on the web. I did my research prior to buying and that is what I found. However, I am giving just 2 more days to get this problem solved, then we will be expecting for Evinrude to completely replace these motors. Am ready to start spreading the word about this problem now. It is just hard to believe that this is an isolated problems now.

Would certainly appreciate any insights that you or others have in this regards.

14. Member

Re: 2006 Evinrude E-tec problems (WingedSea)

If every powerhead you put on it fails and no one else is experiencing the same problem then the problem is probably not with the powerheads.

When they replaced the heads did they do a short block or a long block with all new electronics?

Are the motors getting hot? Are they getting enough water flow to the gearcases? Is there anything under the hull that can be creating air bubbles in the water to the gearcases? Transducers, pitot tubes, livewell intakes, anything?

My guess is that when they put 2 complete brand new motors on that there is still going to be a problem because I don't think you have gotten 5 bad powerheads in a row.

If both motors are dropping 1000 rpms at the same moment then it probably ISN'T a motor problem. What ever is effecting the motors is effecting both of them at the same time. Even if they were both bad powerheads they wouldn't sync their problems simultainously.

Please post the pics of the blown motor. What came though the block? Which cylinders were effected?

If it wasn't a mechanical failure then one of 5 things happened (basic failure) it overheated due to lack of lubrication, it over heated do to lack of cooling flow, it leaned out and blew, it detonated and blew, it had pre-ignition and blew.

Each of these problems leave signs as to which it was. It must first be determined which one of these basic failures caused yours to blow. Once that is known the real problem can then be troubleshot and found.

I hope they get this fixed for you, it sucks not having a boat, especially after all the money that goes into it.

WingedSea and Waterworld,

It is amazing that you have had so many problems with your rig. It is registered with a company, so tell me how the boat is used and what for. What brand of boat, what props, and how far apart the motors are spaced.

Just as a word or two of advice, hold off any badmouthing on the Internet or elsewhere for a bit to find out what the factory will do. They do not make snap decisions (bureacracy, you know) but they will make things right.

Now for the questions:

Is this a new boat or one that was repowered with the new motors?

What exactly did the factory rep say about the failures, and did he come to the dealership to inspect the motors and sea trial the boat?

Also call Customer service at 847-689-7090 with the serial numbers and tell them the story. They will work from their end to help y'all out. Be sure to get the person's name also.

Had there been any problems with water in the fuel or oil, or bad gas, or anything along those lines in the boat's history?

When you said both motors were dropping 1000 rpm or so simultaneously, red flags shot up. Have the technician ( E-TEC trained I hope ) hook up clear fuel line at each engine's fuel inlet fitting along with a quality vacuum gauge "teed" into the fuel hose.

Run the motors at all speeds, especially when dropping rpms, and see if there are bubbles visible in the clear fuel lines. Also the vacuum gauge should not show above 4" Hg at any time. A healthy fuel system only draws about 3" Hg. Fuel restrictions and air bubbles in the lines can "blow" a motor, no matter how well designed it is.

Make sure you get the exact results, especially at the rpm fluctuations and not just a "It's OK" type of answer.

Keep us posted, as you found out in your research and we here at BBC have known all along that E-TEC is a great motor, but something is definitely out of whack somewhere in your situation.

-----

16. Member

As for the assumption that this is a rigging or fuel problem, that is what every one has said. We were headed that way in our thinking as well, until today when the technician found that the motors were both dropping about 1000 rpms simultaneously on a new fuel cells. This is definitely a motor problem.

Uh, I grew up in Missouri. If your saying it is a motor problem when "BOTH" motor's drop 1000 RPM at the same time, I am having a hard time believing it is a motor problem. It has to be something common to both. IMHO

Rod

17. Member

Seahorse-

Thanks so much for your reply. I do not intend to "badmouth" the motors. Would not have purchased Evinrude without having done my reaseach. Have contacted the Cust Serv line, but they do not have the latest (we just learned late last night- it's early morning here now). Certainly do hope and expect them to make right. I did buy a Etec 90 hp motor mounted on a smaller, 19 ft RIB at the same time by the way.

Boat is registered in my company name just for convenience. It will be my personal dive boat. The boat is brand new, 8 m Ballistic RIB (now ASIS). Ballistic was the brand name used by Mako for their RIB line, which they just recently sold. These boats have a long, reliable history of use in Europe, Asia, and South Africa, and a fair number have been imported and are in use in the US.

The interesting thing is that the motors have been dropping RPM indepently. Each motor is on a entirely separate fuel tank and lines, no interconnections. They have been worked on by Evinrude dealers, now have a new (and we believe more capable dealer suggested by the Evinrude rep). They just yesterday ran the motors on portable, independent gas tanks and had behavior noted with the rpm drop.

The previous dealer and the rep did do field tests, including vacuum gauging the fuel systems. One tank (feeding the counterrotating engine) was showing high vacuum. We found 2 pieces of masking tape in that tank, then the systems were retested- both indicated vacuum within specs.

Still want to believe in the Etec- but that is getting difficult as no one seems to be able to find out what is "out of whack". We want to go offshore with our boat, thus the twin configuration for extra safety. Right now, we feel like we'll be 'looking over our shoulder' for that motor gremlin!

Will keep you posted, and do appreciate the good advice and input.

18. Member

I gotta say that you are handling this better than I would. After 8 months without a boat all hell would have broken loose.

I do think they'll find your problem though.

The one thing that I would check and double check is the fuel being used. (even though it is 2 seperate tanks it is still the only thing common between the 2 engines, it probably came from the same tank) If you have to, drive down to a station you trust and bring in your own fuel. Then test it for alcohol and water. Don't trust the dealers fuel supply. It may be old and have lost octane.

Did they re-use the electronics off the blown powerhead? I would assume they would have done a completey dressed powerhead on a warranty replacement. The engineers like to have the complete powerhead when trying to determine why it blew.

19. Member

We just had one new powerhead with 4 hours blow #5079695..We will have more info on it later

Re: 2006 Evinrude E-tec problems (The Lodge)

Actually Terry, you won't be posting "more info" here. A lot of people tried to help you when you were on here before and you just had one stupid agenda that had absolutely nothing to do with outboard motors that you just wouldn't drop in spite of phone conversations with John Laws and myself so............bye bye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast