basshawk project

Lets see... this weekend I Replaced all the boots on the toggle switches. Disconnected the old Depth finder and started removing it. but I am needing some ideas
    1- what put the hole where the old depth finder is
    2- The screw heads. I hate seeing them almost as much as I the e button head covers? any ideas on how to make it look better?
    3- gasket it keeps sliding off. I know is 30years old ... replace it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. Make a hole cover plate from lexan, plexiglas or aluminum, painted or vinyl wrapped. Attach with a center screw into another bar on the backside of the hole. Or leave the locator in there, and just cover the face with a piece of vinyl (black, woodgrain, etc.) and a "Bass Hawk" decal.
    2. You could paint the screw heads a complimentary or contrasting color. I used a metallic paint over bright stainless screws, to make them look anodized. See pics below. Another "free" old hotrod trick is to align all the screw head slots - a minor thing, but your eye is fooled by the neatness vs. drawn to the chaos of off-angled screw heads!
    3. Replace the old trim with new if it's shot - or adhere it with some clear silicone in the spots where it's slipping.

thank you for the tips. Did you make that dash?

Quote Originally Posted by basshawksc View Post
    thank you for the tips. Did you make that dash?
    Yes. Details here.

ok got it.. I see a note on where not to by the vinyl wrap... Wheres a good place to order it?

Check out local sign shops. I went to a place close to home and they had a remnant that was more than I needed for $30 (about the same price as ordering on-line).

Just an idea... you could make a new bow panel that includes the old locator area (red outline in this pic).
    front dash.jpg

Take a pic of your Bass-Hawk (or bird?) logo and a sign shop could likely make a duplicate vinyl logo decal to fill that blank area.
    Or you could move your trolling motor plug to the round area, and spread your switches out so they are four in-line on the left side.

That's what I am thinking also. I have a sign company that I deal with for work that already said he could do it the logo. I am thinking about putting rocket switches in place of the old toggle. The cheapest I have found is$7 at academy sports. How thick should the lexon be?

1/8" will do it.

9. Member
    What a nice and clean original boat. I bet it drives like a corvette. Ive got the 196 model. It handles great, but can certainly tell its almost 20 ft running a creak. LOL

man since I put the hydro steering in.. Man it drives great rides great and just an good all around fishing boat. I wish I had an endless pot of money and time and I could really make her shine.
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike