Oxygen Sensor Failure

Have replaced 2 oxygen sensors under warranty in 3 years on my 2010 BF225. Always idle with the motor level as a precautionary measure, Ray recommended. Total hours is 281 and previous replacement was at the 125 hour level. Is this a normal interval for failure?

2. Member

USA

I was told to watch out for backwash getting up on the engine, also.

3. Member
    These are not maintenance items and have no normal interval. When they get wet they fail most of the time caused by backwash on the motor either during slowing down, launching the boat, or reversing.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, silly to me to have an abnormally high(my opinion) failure rate by getting an outboard motor wet. Love the dependability and all has been under warranty thus far with no other issues noted. However, a non warranty replacement of 250 bucks or so will not leave me as satisfied. If that's the only issues that I have with an outboard guess I should feel extremely lucky.

5. Member
    I know its dumb, you would think they would redesign the exhaust to prevent this but they havent. It mostly seems to be a problem on 20" V6 engines though which doesn't make it any better. Ive been lucky enough to never had a failure on mine.

But to put it into perspective, Yamaha has some current model engines that the balancing shafts are considered a maintenance item and if not changed will blow up the motor and another current model where the flywheel is considered a maintenance item and needs to be changed every so many hours or it could possibly come apart while running.
    Last edited by HONDAM; 05-11-2015 at 07:29 PM.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    You need to also make sure its level or tilted up when off to keep water from sucking up into the exhaust.

Hickory Legend

7. Member
    Sorry about your problems gunpilot. But if you don't mind me asking, what are the symptoms of oxygen sensor failure and does the replacement require a trip to a dealership?

8. Member

USA

Quote Originally Posted by Team Hobbie Hut View Post
    Sorry about your problems gunpilot. But if you don't mind me asking, what are the symptoms of oxygen sensor failure and does the replacement require a trip to a dealership?
    I had mine fixed at G & G marine at LOZ, I was told that they are the best in MO. The lights on the control panel would light up, and would make beeping sounds ( not the normal ones ) They replaced the sensor and (if I remember correctly ) said that they put a baffle or something in to help keep the water out, but to also keep the engine trimmed up level when not running and to watch the backwash when coming off plane. They fixed it in 2005, I think, and have not had any problems since ( knock on wood )

By the way it was a 200hp 2004 engine. I figured Honda had fixed the problem. And also, I think I've seen on BBC that some guys have replaced them themselves.

9. Member
    They are easily replaced most people could do it. The problem would be just knowing for sure that it is the problem. You would either need a service manual and do the MIL light procedure, or have a HDS or DrH to scan the computer and clear the codes.

10. Member
    Honda is now reprograming the sensors to have greater tolerances. So your sensor can be reflashed by a dealer. One thing that helps bunches...keep your motor trimmed level while fishing or idling.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRay View Post
    Honda is now reprograming the sensors to have greater tolerances. So your sensor can be reflashed by a dealer. One thing that helps bunches...keep your motor trimmed level while fishing or idling.
    Hallo,
    Ilive in Italy, Sicily. Syracuse. Google translator help me to writethis post.
    Ialso think Honda is reprogramming the oxygen sensors, but it hasn'tsolved the problem yet and needs to do more.
    Ihave a BF 250 with oxygen sensor 35655-ZY3-C01 that has beenchanged 4 times under warranty in the interval between about 20 and170 engine hours, and now at 360 hours the check engine light went onagain like I know very well.
    Afterthe sensor replacement the alarms finish, but after a more or lesslong time returns
    Averageduration approximately 40 hours, but last sensor's life waslonger (about 190 hours), perhaps a coincidence or Honda is trying tofix the problem.
    Onmy boat between 2004 and 2012 was mounted a BF 225 (first series, notAK1) which had the oxygen sensor mounted in the same position, but in1000 hours it never gave problems
    Butmy BF 225 (2004) had oxygen sensor 35655-ZY3-013 similar to almostall the sensors produced, while 35655-ZY3-C01, which breakscontinuously, is very different.
    Ithought that Honda would improve its products, instead using the35655-ZY3-C01 (which has a small diameter, M12, unusual) decreasedthe reliability of its outboards.
    IfI had known I would have bought an outboard from anothermanufacturer, because when the warranty expires, this problem becomesa very annoying annual or semi-annual Honda tax (the part is smallbut expensive).

Doyou know if someone has definitively solved the 35655-ZY3-C01 failure?

12. Member

USA

I have a 2004 Honda 200 HP. My oxygen sensor went out about 2 months after getting it. They replaced it and said it was because water was getting to the sensor through the exhaust ports. They put a baffle in there to block the water. They also said to raise the motor trim up when coming off plane (slowing down to stop ) to avoid the backwash from getting to the exhaust ports. I have not had a problem in 15 years since they repaired it. I believe the baffle they put in was a fix from the factory to help solve the problem. Good Luck I hope this helps

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    My 250 has 480 hours not one problem but it is on a toon

14. Member
    My BF 250 is on a Jeanneau 755 WA and is mounted high to the penultimate hole because the prop hasn't problem of cavitation, nevertheless I also think that water is one of the causes of problem, but not the only cause.
    On my boat for 8 years was mounted a BF 225 (2004) which had the O2 mounted in the same position, but it never gave problems.
    Why does the BF250 O2 break? What has changed?
    The sensor has changed, on my BF225 it was mounted 35655-ZY3-013, while on the BF 250 it is mounted 35655-ZY3-C01, which is smaller and certainly more fragile.
    In Italy the warranty lasts 2 years, but honda has replaced the sensor under warranty up to 6 years , this means that honda implicitly admits a design defect.
    I think manufacturers should solve their design errors without paying for the buyers, instead with the four O2 warranty replacements local Honda did not solve the problem of my BF250 , it has only delayed until the warranty expires.( In Italy we say "to put a patch")
    However,I will see if the local Honda technicians know something about baffle to block the water into BF 250
    Thanks

15. Member

USA

I hope it helps you. Good Luck!

16. Member
    I just installed a new O2 Sensor on my 2003 Honda 200hp. Last one lasted close to five years. I keep a spare with me on the boat. At about $225 (US) it is not cheap but that alarm is a PIA....especially when it pretty much stalls the engine. Note: I have had to replace them less often since raising the engine approx. 1.5".
    Be well.
    Harleytimes
    Triton SF21
    Honda 200hp