Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blew my engine! Help. Repower? or New Boat?

I have a 2001 Tr21 with a 01 vmax 225hp ox66

i broke the rod in my #1 Cylinder during a tournament. the boat shop wants close to like 16,000 to rebuild with new power head i have found new mercury pro xs 250 for 15,900
    i have new trolling motor on boat.replaced almost all live well pumps,bilge pump, and installed recessed trolling motor tray along with having the lss2 structure scan mounted and ram mount at console. i love the boat but its a 2001 my question is what would you guys recommend buy the new motor and part this one out? or sale boat as is with blown motor and buy another used boat? thanks

2. Banned
    that seems awfully high to rebuild an engine.....check with another engine repair place to verify that cost......I'd seriously consider getting a new engine with longest warranty I could get and run the boat another 10 years....you gonna take a beating anyway you go but that boat ought to be good for another 10 years and all you are doing is getting new gel coat because they haven't made any improvements in hulls for years....

With the prices you posted, you answered your own question. By the way, to rebuild would be closer to $6000 not $16,000.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Guy that brought my old boat with a blown cylinder paid about 1800 to repair the one cylinder. He got a warranty on the repair as well from what he told me. I was quoted 3500 to rebuild.

Mine was a smaller motor, but a rebuild isn't going to be 16K
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

5. Member
    that price did sound high but the all acted like i was crazy when i told them i found a new mercury for 15,900 also. i found a little hole in wall shop that will replace just the rod and new pistons for $3500 but every one i have talked to does not recommend that.
    boat still looks great hull wise. may need new carpet and seats in the next 2-3yrs i was leaning more towards new engine i think the mercury i can do up to 7yrs. and really do not plan on getting brand new boat until the boy is off to college (hes 7) so i have some time to get my moneys worth out of the new motor if i go that route.

You will loose big time selling/trading with a blown motor. You might check other dealers about replacing the power head, which would be the least expensive route. Otherwise, as suggested, re-power and go with the longest warranty
    "I see dead people"

I'd go new motor if the boat is in good shape. I too say 16 grand for a rebuild is outrageous. Pretty sure you can get a brand new head for about 7 grand.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

8. Member
    yes i believe they did not want to mess with it. they tried to say power head was 9k and labor and and it would be roughly and blah blah blah. they recommended that i buy a used engine my only problem with that is what if it blows? this engine had good compression and did not really show any signs that it was about to go. i asked them if they could determine what caused it and they said nothing that it was just its time to go.

9. Member
    Is your part of Arkansas remotly close to Nixa mo? Hydrotec is one of if not the most respected Yamaha shop in the country. I'd give them a call before doing anything...

10. Member
    im in Van Buren ar. its roughly 160 miles that would be a bit of a drive to drop it off then drive back to get it. but may be an option depending on what there saying about the rebuild.

11. Member
    Do some research online, Google ask around. I would consider 160 close enough to make some phone calls.

12. Member
    You need to talk to Chris Carson at Chris Carson Marine to get good information about a rebuild.

You can save about $12,000 if you have Texas Outboards near Cedar Creek lake in Texas do it. Plus you get a 3 year warranty with it. They do excellent work too.

14. Member
    My rebuild on a 1998 200 hp Mercury EFI was right at $6900 and it was done by a great shop near Tyler Texas. It was alittle high since I also had a new crank put on versus re-machining the old one and I got a new powerhead.

Go with a rebuild. Shop for the best price and the best reputation of the shop. Double check that you understand the break-in period and what it entails. Follow this to the letter and use your boat for another 10 years.

You might consider new if you ever thought you would save the money in gas and oil. I never could justify it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmerr00 View Post
    im in Van Buren ar. its roughly 160 miles that would be a bit of a drive to drop it off then drive back to get it. but may be an option depending on what there saying about the rebuild.
    A guy that lives near me (northern AL) drove all the way to Hydrotec to have his Yammie 250 rebuilt. Why, because as xb03fs said they are one of the best in the country. Not only did they rebuild it better than before but he also got a few "tweaks" made so it makes closer to 290hp now. And if I remember correctly it was a 1 or 2 day turnaround because theykeep rebuilt powerheads in stock.

2010 Triton 190 Escape w/150 Optimax pulled by a 2016 F-150 FX4 SCrew 3.5 EB

If the boat were 10 years newer, I might go with a new motor. I would go with a rebuild. If you were to sell it, the age of the boat is going to drag down the price of the newer motor.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    If the boat were 10 years newer, I might go with a new motor. I would go with a rebuild. If you were to sell it, the age of the boat is going to drag down the price of the newer motor.
    Same can be said for selling a boat with a rebuild
    Nitro z21

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check with Chris Carson's Marine here on the boards, he's a straight up guy and a sponsor here. He'll do a complete rebuild on your motor for about $4500.00.

19. Member
    Price a 200 sho......you can have the ecu flashed and make it close to a 280_285 hsp. Part the other motor out.

20. Member
    Hydro-tec or Chris Carson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast