Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Replaced my '04 Skeeter dash myself

My dash died just before season was over last year. After extensive research over the winter, I've concluded that I didn't want to spend $500-$700 to fix my dash. So I started to look up parts to make my own. I spent approx $200 and got rocker switches, fuse boxes, aerator timers and misc wires and connectors. With limited time to work on this prject, I spent an 1hr here and there over the course of 2 months. Finally completed and I must say, I like it.

Updated dash.jpg
    Last edited by Rodney Bledsoe; 05-11-2015 at 04:41 AM.

04 ZX250/300 VMAX HPDI

2. Member
    I like this
    Roger Xiong Jr
    Mukwonago, WI
    rxiong21@gmail.com

2018 Skeeter ZX250 250 Yamaha SHO

22 BassCat Lynx
    22Mercury proXS
    Hummingbird/garmin
    ALX rods/Shimano /Lews
    Maxwell Flying inc

4. Member
    Nice!

5. Member
    Awesomeness,

Best part about that is you can keep a spare rocker switch in the boat and if a switch goes out during a T you can fix quick on the water!!!

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Nice!!!
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

where did you buy the rockers and plastic?

9. Member
    That is a nice job, looks great... Would also like info on where you got the rockers?

10. Member
    Please need info! Awesome job.

11. Member
    Sealed Rocker Switches | carlingtech.com

They look like the Contura switches.

I give a more detailed description about what I did when I have some free time or when I get back home. I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks so kinda hard to do with phone.

04 ZX250/300 VMAX HPDI

1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

14. Member
    you should put some kits together with detailed install instructions and start a side business! Lots of folks will be in the same boat...
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

15. Member
    Looks good. I see 9 rocker switches and 10 buttons. Did you combine something?
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

Alright, will try to make this as organized as possible. As I've posted before, my stock panel gave out last year. My research yielded very little info into trying to find out a wiring diagram so I can try to find a short cut to fixing the cause instead of replace the while thing. Since it was a dead end. I turned to researching parts to make my own panel after reading how much it cost for a replacement from skeeter.

Lets start off with wiring. Without any diagram to id the wires. I had to figure them out myself. After I've figured out what each wire does, it became very simple and basic how the whole boat was wired up. The stock panel is just a fancy control panel to reduce parts. It was nothing more than a brain board that sends certain voltage signal to the breaker box to trigger certain action. So in my panel, I bypassed all that and have one switch per action.
    Note that my boat is an '04 Skeeter ZX250. I do not know if other years and/or model will have the same wiring set up or color codes.
    How neatly your wiring is will be up to you and your workmanship. I have mine tucked in well an out of view, unlike stock where it is visibly hanging down.
    Under the starboard console gunnel is where all the wires run on. I used the existing power source that was hooked up to my oem breaker. I also install a main power switch back by the battery compartment to allow full power shut off. All new switches needed a power source except for the fuel switch.

Gas:
    Pink wire is from gauge.
    Pink w/white stripe is from starboard sender.
    Pink w/black stripe is from port sender.
    I used a dual switch(on-off-on) for this since my oem button can only show one tank at a time anyways since there is only one gauge.

ACC power:
    Red wire - I have blinker trim and all accessories hooked up to this.

Courtesy lights:
    Blue w/black stripe powers all lights(compartment, between console and live wells)

Navigation and dash lights:
    Gray w/black stripe powers front red/green navigation and rear white anchor.
    Gray w/green stripe powers console dash lights.

Pumps:
    Brown w/light brown stripe powers starboard fill. (I used a auto timer so this is a on-off-on switch)
    Brown w/red stripe powers port fill. (I used a auto timer so this is a on-off-on switch)
    Brown w/black stripe powers starboard recirculate. (I used a auto timer so this is a on-off-on switch)
    Brown w/white stripe powers port recirculate. (I used a auto timer so this is a on-off-on switch)
    Brown powers starboard bilge.
    Brown w/green powers port bilge.

The switches(bought 12 to have xtra) - used 10. I got off Ebay for, they are blue lighted when on.
    The aerator timers(bought 4) - fill strbrd, fill port, recirc strbrd, recirc port.
    The fuse blocks(bought 3) - used 2.
    Misc wire and connectors. I have a label maker so I labeled all my wires accordingly.

I had to trim the dash to make room for the new switch. The oem panel only had a small hole.

I'm not pc savvy so I hope the pictures help out.

04 ZX250/300 VMAX HPDI

The new panel for the switches are one off pieces. You'll have to find whatever scrap sheets of plastic and do you own cut and trimming. Mine were 1/8" thick.

I had to trim the smaller panel where the horn switch was on and moved the fuel switch to that side. see pix.

04 ZX250/300 VMAX HPDI

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    That cant work, its to neat of a project, wires must be all over the place and criss crossing for to work..... ....... great work!!!!
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I wish I had seen this a week ago, I just went the factory route. Very nice job you did there.

Btw, the switches come blank and didn't come labeled like what you see in the pictures, I have a label maker and made the label to stick onto the switches.

04 ZX250/300 VMAX HPDI

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast