Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
  1. Member
    Just found out for a fact that there were at least "50 at minimum" 15" 400R's built at Mercury Racing and 35 of them were sold to one guy..........A Sheik from some other country. So its a good possibility that the rumors of a 15" 400R being released soon are true.
    Now that would be sweet!
    Last edited by scj; 08-28-2015 at 12:15 PM.

2. Member
    Just as an update; for those thinking about installing a sportmaster gearcase on a SHO, you "must" have the guts completely removed from the gearcase and the lever at the front of the case reversed so the shifter will operate normally. Unfortunately, this was not addressed when the new driveshaft was installed as you're 90% there at that point.
    I had Lee correct mine this past week and Robbie did the Allison mods to the gearcase at the same time. The shifter operates properly now and the gearcase mods free'd it up. I had my wife with me yesterday so I only ran it to the mid 80's but it feels as if I removed 200 pounds from the boat.

3. Member
    I've read about 80% of this post and I couldn't find the one thing I was looking for. The sportmaster case you adapted was it a 2.5 or 3.0L case?

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Supadave888 View Post
    I've read about 80% of this post and I couldn't find the one thing I was looking for. The sportmaster case you adapted was it a 2.5 or 3.0L case?
    3.0L
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

5. Member
    Yes, 3.0L case. No adapters either. It's a good match up and has been flawless for over two years now.

6. Member
    If anything ever happens to my 250xs..........

7. Member
    I've read a lot of this thread as well. What I'm curious about is the Yammie lower unit. It looks as if it's modeled after the CLE cases. Can the Yammie lower units be ran even to above the pad? Other than I noticed the water pick ups are on the side of the bullet. Can someone please elaborate on this for me.
    Thanks Gents.
    G.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

8. Member
    I know Hydro-Tec can mod the stock SHO gearcase for low water pickup and upgrade the propshaft to a fatshaft Mercury. I'm not sure what they're doing to improve water flow......
    Lee can jump in here as I think I have read where Robbie is performing gearcase mods for flow on the Yamaha's???

9. Member
    They fill in the side water intake covers with epoxy then drill the nose up into the water intake area. Then mill slots from the nose back to those holes. Looks just like the sportmaster in that area. Mine only has two holes and doesn't have the fatshaft. Yes you can run it even with the pad with this lower. I had almost 30 psi water pressure anytime above 70 mph I have one for sale if you are looking for one.

10. Member
    I'm actually looking at the Yamaha vs Mercury. My Gambler is setup for Mercury.
    Former USAF Gunner B-52H

11. Member
    Steve I think we talked about this before. Instead of taking your lower unit apart why couldn't you just change the part on the shifter that is made for a Mercury?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Steve I think we talked about this before. Instead of taking your lower unit apart why couldn't you just change the part on the shifter that is made for a Mercury?
    Kevin,
    I did that originally to hold me over until I could make it to Lee's but you have to slot out the holding plate and trim piece to get it to go into reverse. It looked hokie so no go!
    The shifter cable has to be relocated to the other side of the pivot bolt and that's restricted due to the bottom of the boat is just below.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021