Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Do you think it is the weight? Was you boat a 2 seat or a 4 seat. I know the 2 seat boats initially have noticeably less desirable holeshot than the 4 seat boats due to weight distribution and require the batteries to be run further forward to keep all things equal. I believe trolling batteries are kept under step up to front deck???
    Last edited by xb03fs; 05-10-2015 at 10:45 AM.

2. Member
    Kevin, you have paypal $ Thanks!

I've been looking for a video I watched last year of Grant's boat running with the power poles and I am having no luck. I was blown away with the video but I also realize I outweigh him by a 100 pounds and his rig had lithium batteries. I hope to have a lithium cranking battery by the rally but to me, I see no use in getting rid of my 120 pounds worth of trolling batteries if I just have to add ballast..........I also tried moving my trolling batteries to the front a couple of weeks back and my 2+2 wanted no part of that. It destroyed the front to rear balance at speed
    Last edited by scj; 05-10-2015 at 11:05 AM.

3. Member
    I know some with lithium trolling batteries and 500 lb motors have found it best to put the lithium in the rear of the rear compartment and then the starting agm battering in the front of that same rear compartment to optimize holeshot with the 500 lb motors.

4. Member
    I have plugged odd sized vent holes by using devcon. Put tape on one side and fill thru the other, when solid just drill if necessary what ever size hole you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Theres no bad luck with engines. Just being honest. The mid range on the SHO is very impressive. We have a small tournament around here every Tuesday night at the start of the tournament boat race I get to line up with a Basscat pro XS250 a 521 250 HPDI a 21ft express etec 250. When we all take off they are all right there with me. I have a motor that is said to have a great hole shot on a boat that brags about its hole shot a stack of propellers with holes plugged and unplgged one with 1 inch holes that cant be plugged.The out of the hole performance seems kind of average to me. I saw Grants boat run at last years rally and talked to him and if we compared our performance it was very close.
    With all the money you are spending on this set up I hope it rips. Time will tell.

5. Member
    I have my boat balanced really well where everything is placed now with my wife in the boat. My PM-1 cranking battery is in the center of the boat and to me makes more sense just to replace it with a battery weighing 50 lbs less to reduce overall weight. That will have no effect on balance.

IMO, motor height made the biggest improvement for hole-shot and top speed for my boat using a given prop size. With my engine 1/2" under pad, foot flat on the floor, 87 is all it would do. I raised the engine to 3/8" over pad and the boat spun up to 90.5 so fast I backed out of it at 6100 rpm's as that was the edge of my driving skills.

Using a sportmaster on the SHO should not change anything related to what I am used to now as it's the only thing in the water when you're at speed anyway. With the SHO bumping the 300 hp range, it makes sense to me to run 1.62 gearing as that's exactly the preferred ratio for the XS300 Mercury.

6. Member
    The strongest holeshot boat at our local kitty jar blast off tournies is a pheonix 921 250 sho, that thing fires out of the hole.

Takes me almost a mile to catch and pass him when i'm running a big wheel.

There are a hand full of cats with 250's, tritons rangers, an eyra with a 300 in that mix of boats. He's the only one with a sho, and I'm sure thats why. His boat is strong out of the hole. I cannot imagine an ally having worse holeshot than a other boats with a sho??

7. Member
    Sjc if you had plenty of lift prior if you replace your pm with a lithium it would potentially increase performance by moving one of your two trolling batteries as far forward as where the pm1 was in the rear compartment....should in theory make holeshot even better without affecting top end.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    Sjc if you had plenty of lift prior if you replace your pm with a lithium it would potentially increase performance by moving one of your two trolling batteries as far forward as where the pm1 was in the rear compartment....should in theory make holeshot even better without affecting top end.
    My PM-1 is in the center compartment surrounded by the new EPA friendly fuel tank.
    I have PM-2's for my trolling batteries and they're both in the rear port side box. One in the very front and one in the very rear.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scj View Post
    My PM-1 is in the center compartment surrounded by the new EPA friendly fuel tank.
    I have PM-2's for my trolling batteries and they're both in the rear port side box. One in the very front and one in the very rear.
    So you already have two batteries forward? With my 2.5 liter both of my group 24 trolling batteries are as far rear as they go in the rear passenger compartment and my pm2 which I use for starting is center middle compartment....

Since I don't bass or tournament fish I have been considering going down to 2 batteries except on hard core fishing days... Then have the 3rd battery which may or may not be present go in the middle slot. It will require two things, a longer accessory jumper as that block of fuses is in the driver rear area potentially a longer trolling motor jumper to make 24

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    I cannot imagine an ally having worse holeshot than a other boats with a sho??
    That's where I'm at; hopefully my initial set-up will perform like a rock star and I'll enjoy the hybrid project from the beginning but I'm also willing to test different things to make sure something is not overlooked so I can share with others who may try something like this.
    Last edited by scj; 05-10-2015 at 07:30 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    So you already have two batteries forward?
    Yes, the big PM-1 is as far forward in the center of the center compartment as it can go and one of my PM-2 trolling batteries is as far forward as it can go in the rear port side compartment.

12. Member
    Sounds like you get that lithium battery you will have the best of the best...

A bit jealous

13. Member
    My boat is a two seater. Its not about the weight of the SHO because its advertised weight is the same as the 3.0 liter merc. Of the props I have tried the only one that had a good hole shot was the 26 XS. I am not saying its worse than any other boat with the SHO I am saying its not exceptional. Now with a 250 XS on the boat its the same. I have done everything that has been suggested by other Allison owners to improve this short of adding a foil which I will have on it soon. We need to have a drag race at the rally just to see how they stack up. Get all the XB21 in a row and hammer them maybe I am asking to much.

14. Member
    Are you sure someone didn't foul up your timing on the SHO? One of the guys over on the Bullet page had a Phase something (?) 300 HPDI and switched to a flashed 200 SHO and said the SHO owns the hole shot easily. I believe he's running 30" props as well and his engine is totally stock except for the reflash.

15. Member
    My boat is a two seater. Its not about the weight of the SHO because its advertised weight is the same as the 3.0 liter merc. Of the props I have tried the only one that had a good hole shot was the 26 XS. I am not saying its worse than any other boat with the SHO I am saying its not exceptional. Now with a 250 XS on the boat its the same. I have done everything that has been suggested by other Allison owners to improve this short of adding a foil which I will have on it soon. We need to have a drag race at the rally just to see how they stack up. Get all the XB21 in a row and hammer them maybe I am asking to much.
    The two seater will always have the worst holeshot of any Allison due to the seat being further rearward. I'll line up for sure but with only a 2.5 200 I will run outta steam way before you guys. Most of the rally I will have 4 on board so I expect I'll be pretty slow.

16. Member
    We need to have a drag race at the rally just to see how they stack up. Get all the XB21 in a row and hammer them maybe I am asking to much.
    I'm sure there will be some fun running as well while we're there.......

I'm calling Wayne tomorrow to have him overnight stuff as I'm getting a little nervous on the amount of time before the rally and I'm losing valuable fishing days now. I'm going to talk to him about breaking the engine in on his dyno since I don't want to plow the boat around and having to come up with a break in prop. Plus, if anything goes boom, there will be no shipping back and forth.

17. Member
    SHO is hanging on a stand in my garage. The only person to work on this engine was a Yamaha factory tech when it blew up. I ran it a few times with my lap top hooked up and saw no problems with cam timing. Or codes about cam timing.

18. Member
    Steve I got the PayPal thank you.

19. Member
    SHO is hanging on a stand in my garage. The only person to work on this engine was a Yamaha factory tech when it blew up. I ran it a few times with my lap top hooked up and saw no problems with cam timing. Or codes about cam timing.
    What kind of interface cable and is there a program you have to have to see the engine running on your laptop?

20. Member
    You can buy the cable on E bay. Yes there is a CD you will need to install that program on your laptop I will get it to you if you get the cable let me know.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast