Thread: Ranger Reata

Ranger Reata

I have a Ranger Reata 1850ls with a 150 Mercury 4 stroke on it..I am looking to get a little bit more speed out of it..I am only seeing speeds around 42mph..Ian dthis is not loaded down with people or fishing gear..I have the standard 4 blade prop on it now and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or had issues like this at all..it is an awesome boat and I love it..aloows me to fish tournaments while also being able to take take the family out..I knew it wasn't going to blazing fast, but thought I would at least hit 50..or close..

2. Member
    wow, ya that is slow. brother has a lund crossover 1750 same 150 4 stroke and he can squeeze 50 with 3 blade, but runs 48 on a rev 4

what rpms are u getting, which 4 blade? stainless or aluminum?
    Last edited by 12many; 01-27-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

3. Member
    it is a 4 blade stainless..around 5400 rpm..

4. Member
    What kind of stainless prop? Should be a name on it There are several 4 blades on the market.

But rpm seems good. You are trimmed up when trying for top speed?
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

5. Member
    I believe it is the Revolution 4..yes I am trimmed up when running...

6. Member
    It is Revolution 4

7. Member
    That 3.0 has a lot of mid range. Honestly it would turn a 17 19 or 21 p rev 4 . brother has a 21.

What pitch is yours?

What hole is motor mounted? . If it still warranty I'd have dealer check motor. And check throttle cables . see if it goes wide open.

Unless you running it at a higher elevation.?
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

8. Member
    It is a 17 pitch and the motor is in the third hole..

9. Member
    I have a Reata 180 VS (shallower hull) but have put a 8" manual jack plate on it and use a high five 19 pitch for tubing and skiing and then change out to a tuned and cupped Tempest Plus 21 pitch for speed. Motor height is a big deal with these boats for speed and handling. Mine was over 7" below pad from factory. It now runs 5" below for tubing and 4.25" for speed (56MPH GPS). Seeing your RPMs at WOT of only 5400 seems low for a 17 pitch. I would hazard a guess that the motor is actually not getting to WOT even though your stick is balls to the walls. You should be pushing high 5900's WOT for top speed with a 4 stroke, 5650-5750 2 stroke 150hp. Could be that motor is way too deep or cable set up.

10. Member
    Wish I could help! But from everything I have read in these forums, 4 blades are better for hole shot and 3 blades are better for top end speed. I don't have a Ranger but that Mercury 150 pushes my Nitro Z7 Sport 55mph with a 21P 3 blade.

11. Member
    Well, the motor is in the third hole..can that be adjusted? I am going to have the cables adjusted because when i crank it to WOT, it will pull back itself like the cables are to tight

12. Member
    Ya something ain't right. That 17 pitch should run really high rpms. Should be easy to over rev it.Confirm throttle is opening 100%.

Also meaure prop to pad . . there is like a hundred threads on how to measure. Use search function.

Post results back here
    Garmin marine
    prostaff