Banned

Bent skeg on 225 SHO How much could it affect mph ?

Posted a couple days ago that my mph was down 4-5 mph over the last 2 years. Yesterday I was servicing the lower unit lube and discovered the skeg bent . its bent in the opposite direction then it should be. With the vaccum side opened up do you suppose that could drop mph as much as 5 mph ?

2. Member
    Im interested in this, too. You should see mine!

Mine was brand new and I noticed a slight, almost un noticeable "rake" in the skeg of my 250SHO. I THINK they must come with a slight bend like that to help with torque??? I would love to hear input on this as well.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    The SHO skeg comes with a front to back curve to the right to counteract the engine torque.

I had a low speed impact with a rock that knocked off the last inch or so of the trailing edge of my 250 SHO skeg such that this curved part was now gone. This didn't change the top speed, but made my ZX20 Skeeter almost impossible to turn to the left at top speed with the boat trimmed out. I would really have to lean into the wheel with my shoulder to get to to turn.

Insurance company paid to replace the lower unit - problem solved. Normal steering effort restored.

5. Member
    South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by H22BASS250SHO View Post
    Mine was brand new and I noticed a slight, almost un noticeable "rake" in the skeg of my 250SHO. I THINK they must come with a slight bend like that to help with torque??? I would love to hear input on this as well.

Your thinking is correct. They are designed with the curved skeg to reduce steering torque

6. Member
    So if the skeg is slightly bent to help with steering, is the bottom and back of the skeg still perpendicular (in line) with the motor and shaft?
    I bumped a log as well and was having a look at mine.