Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

225 EFI 3L Dies on top end

My 225 EFI 3L Dies on top end completely. No hiccups before, just goes completely dead after crossing 70 mph or so on my 201 Stratos. Strange thing is it fires right back up instantly after she sits back down. I'd like to hear some ideas of what it may be from you guys who really know your EFI's.

2. Member

3. Member
    Okay, I hope it's that simple. If it is, I'm sure the damage has been done somewhere else. Mine has the black hose. In my opinion its better than that nylon lined hose. Just having a hard time believing it's all caused by a fuel line.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    A hose's color has absolutely nothing to do with it's quality or functionality.

I would definitely recommend that you read the link provided above, and address EVERY SINGLE item recommended in that link, EXACTLY as described, utilizing only the components recommended (no aftermarket substitutes).

Please also see the Announcements at the top of the forum- further assistance is available if you provide your Engine's Serial Number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I had this exact problem with my 250XB a little over a year ago. Of course it was while I was on vacation hours from home at the lake house. I removed the cowling and reseated all electrical connections on the motor. The problem has been gone every since, with no further issues.

Deleted-incorrect information
    Last edited by Haughton; 05-15-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

7. Member
    After a dyno test, problem seems to be hitting the rev limiter. Bigger prop put on, we'll see how this goes. Looking to get my max horsepower rpm at 5600. My 25 tempest was all over 5800-5850 so maybe this was the case. Getting reverse transom wedges put on and a 27 tempest. hopefully this will do the trick. Also replaced my filters.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haughton View Post
    Fuel hose must have its standard written on it, among other things. The current low permeation hose is J1527 reguardless of hose color.
    J1527 has been revised SEVERAL times, so although lines should display this, the display of this number is NOT an accurate indicator of whether or not the lines are compliant with EPA Standards (or suitable for use).

Trey: SKIP the transom wedges. Per Mercury Service Bulletin 2013-15, NO brackets or wedges should be mounted between the engine and mounting surface (or jackplate). Your dealer SHOULD already be aware of this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yikes. Deleted my response, sorry for that. Just saw that the old red print hose has J1527 also. The blue print added the -15 after the type.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

10. Member
    The wedges are working great and they are a whole lot safer than those awful trim extenders from bass pro that can kill you. Turning the 27 Tempest 5500-5600 on top end and it's still shutting down at 75.3. I personally still think it has more but I need my extra 200-300 rpm to come back into play. The owner at Lawrenceburg Marine went and ran it and he claims it was getting on the limiters. I still don't buy it cause I used to turn a 25 tempest at 5800-5850 and occasionally hit the limiter. It has got to be something in the computer, stator, somewhere along those lines. I don't believe it's the fuel line and if it is the rev limiter it has somehow altered itself to a lower RPM. Thanks for the help guys. Still looking for the right answer to my problem. Called Simons Motorsports and they are supposed to be getting back to me. If anyone has others ideas on the problem my ears are open. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Trey201PE; 05-15-2015 at 09:53 PM.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What's your engine's serial number?

Are you reading RPM's from an ANALOG instrument?

12. Member
    Serial Number: OT304612
    I am reading my RPM from analog gauge. When I used to hit the limiter with the 25 Tempest it would beep at me. I was peddling the motor Saturday at 5400 at 72mph with the 27 tempest and something still shut me down. Not getting any alarms or beeps. My no oil light is on and been on for a while. It's lying, she's smoking like a freight train on idle. I get 18lb of water pressure at WOT. It's a long shaft motor.

13. Member
    Long shaft motor on a bass boat, why?? What is your prop to pad measurement?

14. Member
    The old boat came with a long shaft motor. If I had a 20 inch shaft I wouldn't be near as happy. I have never measured my prop to pad since I have a hydraulic jack plate. The measurement is good enough to where a 225 will push a 201 Stratos 75+ mph on gps. I really like the long shaft. I can bury prop (jack plate all the way down) with a full load with it trimmed all the way out and cruise at 3400 rpm at 44mph = pretty decent fuel mileage.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Guys:

L Model = Long Shaft = 20" Shaft Length. That's what this engine is.

Trey:

Oil light shold NOT be illuminated. If it is, there is a LOW OIL LEVEL signal. Check the tank/sensor on the engine.

DON'T ignore these warnings- if it's falsely triggering a warning, you will RECEIVE no CORRECT warning if the tank becomes low!!!

Also- are you hearing the TEST BEEP when the key is turned ON? (very important question)

16. Member
    Good. When you tell us Northerners LONG shaft, we see a 25" saltwater motor.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Good. When you tell us Northerners LONG shaft, we see a 25" saltwater motor.
    I know what you mean, Savage. Took me a few years to "get with the program" after I moved "south".

18. Member
    I am getting the test beep when you first turn the ignition on. I have run my oil low enough in the past to get into my reserve and I got the three beeps in a row. Something else I've noticed, if I can get out of the throttle quick enough the motor will fire back up after the boat almost starts to come off plane without restarting.
    Last edited by Trey201PE; 05-19-2015 at 11:12 AM.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Savage suggested earlier in the post, ENSURE EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the following link is completed, EXACTLY as described- no piece-mealing, no substituted parts:

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...tem-first.html

Also... you either have a PHENOMENAL setup already, or some of your figures are incorrect. 5400 RPM, 1.75 Ratio, and 27P equates to right at 9% prop slip.

20. Member
    It's a worked prop with a good bit of cup. The entire prop has a satin finish on it. Thank you for the complement. She's a pretty sweet old rig. Gave $225 for the prop on ebay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast