Bullet 20xd setup help

Hey guys, its my first post here. I am trying to get my bullet set up. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have a 20xd with a 97 Mariner 225 EFI 3.0. Its on a 10 inch rapid jack with 2 inch spacers. 12'' total setback. Currently running a 28 pitch Trophy Plus at 1/2 inch below pad at 5900-6000rpms. The lower unit is a torquemaster with top 4 holes plugged and scoops installed. 4 holes in the nose. Pulling 15psi at WOT pressure. If I come up any farther I only get 10psi. My problem is I'm only getting 75mph out of this setup. I feel like it should have more. Need some help. I want to see 80 out of this thing.

2. Member
    Probably hitting the rev limiter at 5900 on that motor. I had a 2001 merc 3.0 225 efi and it had the rev limiter at 5800, I could pull a little past 5800 and it would start beeping , thats the first sign of the limiter after that I think it will start cutting power.

Do they have rehab for this addiction,cause I need to go!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Member
    I put the numbers in a slip calculate. It shows 18% slip which is high.
    If i where you I'd, for the time being , drop the plate some to see if the slip goes away. Next would be to find another prop, trophys that run high on the plate tend to start outt with 4blades, and end up with 3 blades.

I put a link in the bullet boats forum to get more feedback.
    Last edited by rambo274; 05-05-2015 at 06:43 PM.

4. Member
    Thanks. I'll try to lower it a click or two. I know the slip numbers are really high. I've always heard with bullets to get the motor as high as possible without losing pressure but it seems to cause me more prop slip. How are these guys with sportmasters or coned lowers running 1 1/2 above and getting the props to bite good? I wouldn't care to cone mine and raise it if it would help but I seem to run slower close to pad.

5. Member
    Manufacturers and prop shops adjust the prop to hold at different heights. A prop that works good below the pad may not do well above the pad, the opposite is true also.
    How much cupping in a prop can make a difference in the height a prop can run. There are so many variables. It would take an expeert to explain everything.
    Different style props also run different heights.

I tried a prop that was set up for another brand boat. I have a hydraullic plaate so height adjustment is a button push up or down on the jp. I had to lower the plate to get good bow lift, but I liked the prop.I ordered one set up for my boat. It runs higher than what I was running before and could run higher,possibly. But I have to keep good wp.
    Last edited by rambo274; 05-05-2015 at 10:30 PM.

6. Member
    You need to get that prop worked to get rid of the slip.

7. Member
    I just ordered a 29 txp. We'll see if she'll run a little better.

8. Member
    I don't know if you'll turn a 29 txp they turn stiffer than a trophy.

9. Member
    I went with the 3 blade txp in a 29. I may be the only one, but I actually like the way a 3 blade prop runs. Most Bullets I see now have 4 blade props but I have always liked the feel of a 3. I hope it gets rid of the slip. I'll know more in about a week. For now I lowered my plate 2 clicks to run the trophy.

10. Member
    3 blades props generally will not run as high as a 4 blade.
    So I'd try it where the plates at now