Minn Kota Fortrex 101 (2001) - very limited speed/thrust - need advise

Minn Kota Fortrex 101 - limited speed/thrust

i went fishing last Sunday - the trolling motor worked fine all day - absolutely no issues for 6+ hours.

Plugged in and charged M-Tuesday night. Fishing Wednesday after work, step on the button and the prop barely spins.
    I thought perhaps i had a bad connection when charging so i charged it again through today, and tested. Same result - prop barely spins.

Kept the charger plugged in and tested (batteries fully charged). Tested batteries and they were 12.6, 12.7 and 12.7 so i hqave to believe the batteries are ok.

There is a 50 amp breaker (2) for the chargers, but not sure how to tell if they are reset or not. i think they auto reset.

so, that's it, trolling motor barely spins, and only for a short period of time.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

2. Member
    It maybe one of the Batteries. A bad battery may show a full charge but fail under load.

3. Member
    would one bad battery affect the functionality like that?

4. Member
    Update: I tested the batteries again today at Auto zone and the batteries are all good.

Checking the trolling motor - no string inside by the prop, but i noticed, the Motor spins for 20 seconds then stops. I tried it multiple times and everytime at 20 seconds it stops.

5. Member
    I may be totally off but that still seems to me like a battery issue. I have had batteries tested and pass the auto part store test and still be bad. I know it is a pain in the ass but you may have to check each battery individually with a load such as changing each one and try starting a vehicle or the boat motor itself if that is the easiest way or just try to put 3 other batteries in place of the 3 you have now if that is possible. Then that way you can eliminate the battery issue and concentrate on connections or the trolling motor itself.

Is there a electrical plug or is the connection hard wired? If a plug is used then check the connections, the screws can back out or the wires break and cause a bad connection.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

7. Member
    just for record:
    Fortrex 101/FC/US2-45” BG360
    MODEL 1368690
    SER NO L363MK01163

Mr Jones will probably share some knowledge soon. I believe that you run a risk of damaging the board if you don't unplug TOTALLY when charging. I just posted on another thread similar problem. If I "wiggle" speed control knob, it will work but only speeds above 30%. I wanted to replace speed control switch but see it is part of control board. Waiting for reply as well. Good luck!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

9. Member
    Took it to a Minn Kota shop last night - trouble shooting determined it was the Control Board Assembly (under the foot pedal). Appreciate everyones input.

Fish on!

Well now I'm afraid that's what mine will be. Remember to unplug when charging. I unplugged but I beat the hell out of my foot control not having it screwed down!!

Quote Originally Posted by bseger View Post
    Took it to a Minn Kota shop last night - trouble shooting determined it was the Control Board Assembly (under the foot pedal). Appreciate everyones input.

Fish on!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Just received my control board upgrade kit from Jones Trolling Motor. This is a complete kit including lower foot plate! As always, it came professionally packaged and on time. Will post results.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Thanks Jones Trolling Motor!!

Hooked everything up last night. Very straightforward with the instructions. Bench tested perfectly. I definitely see increased power throughout speed control. Can't wait to try on the water.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

Worked great at Lake on Monday with a couple exceptions.
    1) Speed Control Knob is a little stiff. Had to reach down to turn by hand.
    2) Was rigging up and motor started going by itself. Tapped on foot switch to stop but did it a few more times.

Hoping speed knob will loosen up in time.
    New style foot switch with upgrade kit is a cylindrical looking switch that is pressed in and works with contact from foot cover/button. I was wondering if I "mashed" foot pedal, it would adjust and not make false contact??

Other than that, I'm happy with upgrade.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman6965 View Post
    Worked great at Lake on Monday with a couple exceptions.
    1) Speed Control Knob is a little stiff. Had to reach down to turn by hand.
    2) Was rigging up and motor started going by itself. Tapped on foot switch to stop but did it a few more times.

Hoping speed knob will loosen up in time.
    New style foot switch with upgrade kit is a cylindrical looking switch that is pressed in and works with contact from foot cover/button. I was wondering if I "mashed" foot pedal, it would adjust and not make false contact??

Other than that, I'm happy with upgrade.
    the speed knob will loosen with time. The reed switch consist of a magnet that pulls a still ball up to energize. The reed isn't set "deep" enough into the holder if it is staying turned on. Remove the button and push down on the reed - just a little - til you get it where it doesn't stay on.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

I figured. Thanks John. You're the best!

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash